Re UK gone Mad Worst than I thought! (2 Viewers)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Talking of our postal service.
I have a very considerate postie. In the last few weeks my parcels / large letters have been opened prior to me receiving them. I assume the postie is checking to see there isn't anything in the packed that may jump out and harm me.
Possible thieving b's if they found anything worth stealing.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I just love these 'they' rants. Usually means politicians as if they are another species. Most politicians are ordinary folk who, in addition to their jobs, volunteer for local councils, unions, etc. After a good few years they may get elected to local council and even (a few) may get selected by a constituency party as a potential MP candidate. Then there is an election and WE get to vote for them. If they do get elected they can then become an MP for probably less than they were earning before they got the job. They are then accountable to us. In other words 'they' are you and me.
It's called democracy.
If you don't like what is happening to this country the paragraph above explains how YOU can influence it.
No I am not a politician.

I'd love to agree, BUT ... I think you've got a rose tinted view of our politicians.

Take one of my wonderful local MPs for example. His name is George Galloway. You can read up on him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Galloway

Or consider that 1 in 7 MPs have never done a real job:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175695/One-seven-MPs-real-job.html

And the most damning of all is that a massively disproportionate amount (in comparison to the public as a whole) are lawyers, barristers and solicitors.

The kind of politician you speak about may well have been the norm several decades ago, but todays professional politicians are nothing like that. They're a totally different breed ... alas, as your type of politician sounds like the kind I might vote for.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Since this thread has been running for quite a while and has covered a number of themes we may as well have some fun and keep it going...
Irony. Daily Mail journalists writing an article that implies journalism isn't a real job
Lawyers, barristers and solicitors... Are these not real jobs!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Since this thread has been running for quite a while and has covered a number of themes we may as well have some fun and keep it going...
Irony. Daily Mail journalists writing an article that implies journalism isn't a real job
Lawyers, barristers and solicitors... Are these not real jobs!

No more a job than any other in the acting profession.

OP
OP
kglblue

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Having spent many years in courts as a professional giving evidence, I formed the view that it's all theatre. All of the lawyers did their very best interpretation of Leo McKern's Rumpole of the Bailey. When I was in the box, doing my bit I always felt like Tony Hancock, I resisted saying M'lud as much as I could. Some people giving evidence, called the magistrates M'lud even though there were three sitting on the bench. Theatre indeed, actors for sure!

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We have become a country where service to the public, for example our utilities, are sold off, in the case of "Royal Mail" far too cheaply.
My Postman/woman changes all the time a different person almost daily, often my mail isn't delivered because they can't find my house, a total of 35 houses in the village. The post comes at a different time daily from 10.30am until (I kid you not) 3.30pm, this morning it was 12.45pm according to the card that was left.
A package wasn't delivered because it has to be signed for, my neighbour would have signed but wasn't asked, I was round the back in my garden!

The local Post Office has closed and there is an "office" in Costcutter.
The Package will not be delivered again, however after 6 hours it can be collected from the post office in my nearest town a return trip 0f 32 miles, the buses stopped running 15 years ago. I can pay a 75p handling charge to have it redelivered next Thursday 24th July or 75p to have it sent to the local office in costcutter again on 24th July.

We pay a fortune in Government Taxes, directly and indirect in VAT for example, and we pay a fortune in local taxes, yet the services shrink further every year. The bins, parks, buses, road maintenance, water, gas, electricity to name a few, the list seems endless, are all privatised. The giant power companies are being investigated cos they are suspected of running a price fixing cartel, like doh, what did you expect them to do?

I'll end the rant here cos I could go on and on with example after example, but I have to say I'm so bloody sick of it. We the public have become the fat cow that can be milked till there's nothing left.

Is this the result of privatisation or just down to poor management and staff?

I am old enough to remember when everything was privatised and nothing worked well at all and we all longed for privatisation. In those days the private armies of Arthur Scargill controlled the nation - now its the grossly overpaid money laundering bankers.

Nothing really has changed.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Oliver Cromwell and Guy Fawkes were the only two people who entered Parliament with honest intentions!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There is nothing left they have sold the family silver and squandered the money
In the words of gorge best I spent it on woman and fast cars and the rest I squandered
bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
No reason not to add a number, if one actually existed.
However how would you decide which number to use if none exist? Could you just pick your favourite number?

The Land Registry have no numbers recorded for these properties, as they have never ever had one, some go back centuries.
The Electoral Roll has no numbers either for these properties, only names.
Sat Navs do not use numbers as there aren't any.

At which end of the 5 mile country lane should the numbers start, would the numbers be consecutive, or alternating in odds and evens depending on the side of the lane, and who has the power to decide?

Sound like this has the potential for the creation of a new Labour style non-job...
Let's make a Commissioner for the numbering of properties in Rural UK and waste lots of tax payers money for a job that does not need doing.
Our house has a number and a name, which it was given 350 years ago.
It's the road that doesn't have a name!
We get everything delivered fine, post, parcels, couriers and businesses using their own vans seem to find us.
All except the chap from Parcel Force last week who left a parcel for us at a house a mile away which also had a house name and number, but on a road with a name!
On the point of politicians and the country going to the dogs, I am sure it would all be different if politicians answered questions people asked them. Truthfully
I heard a politician on the radio a few weeks ago. She was asked a question and replied, " I shall answer that question in my own way"
Just answer the bl***y question!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back