Rare Spares Handbrake Extender - anyone using one? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
I'm guessing a few of you out there might be using one of these. If so, could you explain to me the Quick Release/Fly Off nature of the lever? I've read through the Rare Spares explanation, but I'm none the wiser.

Is there any risk in using one, or is it just something you get used to?

Cheers,

Rob

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted one to the 244 PVC we had as it was quite a reach down to the handbrake with the height the swivel seat that was fitted.
Took a bit of getting used to as the action of using it was sort of in reverse as you push the lever down so it pushes the handbrake release button where as you would normally lift the handbrake to then push the release button. I had also ripped the leg off a pair of shorts that got caught on it landing me face down on the floor and ripped a pocket of a pair of trousers, so in all, yes it works to raise the handbrake position, but can be a pain in the pocket.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Excellent piece of kit, allows you to reach the handbrake without being a contortionist. A slight pull backwards on the brake lever releases it.

I always put the van in gear when I have applied the handbrake as it is possible to 'accidently release the handbrake when exiting by the driver's door! Especially when wearing shorts.............

Robert

Edited to say it looks like I'm not the only one who has experienced the problem with shorts. Maybe Rare Spares should put a warning notice about the dangers of wearing shorts and trousers. I see no problem with kilts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beryl
Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok - given my renowned agility and suppleness, I think leave in gear when parked!

I'll get one ordered. Coming through Wales last weekend with lots of temporary lights on the steep windy bits was alarming. And the "Hill Hold Assist" works until it lulls you into a false sense of security, then it doesn't:oops:

Cheers,

Rob

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Fitted one to the 244 PVC we had as it was quite a reach down to the handbrake with the height the swivel seat that was fitted.
Took a bit of getting used to as the action of using it was sort of in reverse as you push the lever down so it pushes the handbrake release button where as you would normally lift the handbrake to then push the release button. I had also ripped the leg off a pair of shorts that got caught on it landing me face down on the floor and ripped a pocket of a pair of trousers, so in all, yes it works to raise the handbrake position, but can be a pain in the pocket.
Agree with the caution needed getting out the van with the handbrake on. Not sure on the operation of it though, I would say as soon as you pull up on the lever you can simply let go, now putting the handbrake on is a bit harder, pull up on lever and release the pressure while letting the lever fall backwards.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with the caution needed getting out the van with the handbrake on. Not sure on the operation of it though, I would say as soon as you pull up on the lever you can simply let go, now putting the handbrake on is a bit harder, pull up on lever and release the pressure while letting the lever fall backwards.

Further probing of the grey matter and I believe you are correct in it's operation although it operation did feel alien to me.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Great piece of kit which has saved my back. A gentle push and it springs off and I agree about the need to watch out for the pockets of trousers getting in and out. I also remind the workshop when it goes for service as it will spring off at quite a light touch.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Fitted one on my van, my wife has a problem reaching the handbrake, with the extension she can manage. The only problem is as our handbrake is on the righthand side of the drivers seat you can catch it as you exit the van.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they are very useful, but referred to as suicide hand brakes for a reason. I use on on our van, and it helps my bad back

Just last week I moved my van down the drive for my son in law to wash. I popped indoors to get us some drinks, and within a few minutes my doorbell rang. It was a neighbour to say my van had rolled off the drive, across the road and bumped the neighbour opposite's car on his drive. All this with my son in law perched on the roof.

I had switched off the engine, pulled on the hand brake and left by the hab door. But as I got up, must have knocked the sheepskin off the drivers seat. This had fallen on the hand brake just hard enough to cause it to drop

No damage to my neighbour's car, my van or anything else. Just a rather shaken son in law and amused neighbours. Thankfully I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, so no other cars or pedestrians

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Oh and when fitted, it takes an extra second to remember it is not a normal handbrake and takes a little getting used to for things like hill starts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beryl
Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all for the info. Also looking in to lower seat bases, which I didn’t know existed. The joys of motorhoming!

Cheers

Rob

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back