Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Hi
Looking to use a portable solar trickle charger for the vehicle battery whilst in storage. The easiest way to link to the battery is via a plug into what I still call the cigarette lighter socket. However it needs the socket to be live without the ignition on for this method to work. Alternative is to mess around under the passenger footwell to link directly to the battery using crocodile clips. Can anyone tell me if this socket is live without the ignition being on please. Would save me a non essential trip to the storage yard to check. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
If it is on a Fiat Ducato base the chances are that it is not live with the ignition on.
Thanks. Yes it is on a Ducato base. I assume that was a typo and you meant it's not live with the ignition off ?That's a pain. I was trying to remember if my phone was still charging when the ignition was off, but it's been so long I couldn't remember!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
There is a + connection plate under the bonnet suitable for croc clips, I use it to run my tyre pump with the ignition off. The negative can be connected in plenty of places also under the bonnet.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
There is a + connection plate under the bonnet suitable for croc clips, I use it to run my tyre pump with the ignition off. The negative can be connected in plenty of places also under the bonnet.
Cheers
Ed
Hi Ed
Thanks for the message. As you will know from my posts I'm a jump in and drive, if it works great, if it doesn't then find a man who knows how to fix it ? I am aware of the positive jump start point under the bonnet as I needed it over the winter after 5 weeks without a run. The man at the storage site put red to positive and black to earth and it started great. However, the instructions for the trickle charger say connect red to positive and black to negative if not just plugging into the cigarette lighter socket. Are you saying just set it up as you would a jump start?
Richard

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Yes I would expect it to work, you should be able to see the effect from the battery voltage display on the control panel , before and after the solar panel is connected.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Yes I would expect it to work, you should be able to see the effect from the battery voltage display on the control panel , before and after the solar panel is connected.
Cheers
Ed
Thanks Ed, I will give it a try.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure it would show as only a small charge would hold voltage though

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Thanks. I've noted your comments. Will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Well, I've taken on board l your comments and advice. Managed to check on the moho this morning as it is en route to the supermarket. The cigarette lighter socket was not live with the ignition off and the lead was not long enough to link to the jump points under the bonnet and have the solar panel inside the screen. So lifted up the cab carpet, opened the floor panel in front of the passenger seat and there was the vehicle battery. Attached red to red and black to black, solar panel inside the screen (south facing fortunately) and will now leave it alone and wait and see.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Have you solar on roof?
Another option is a Battery master wired to cbe distribution panel in outside locker.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Have a look at Vanbitz for a battery master and read up on how they work.
You could search on here too as I think Jim sells them. Very easy to wire up and it’ll solve all your problems.

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Have you solar on roof?
Another option is a Battery master wired to cbe distribution panel in outside locker.
Thanks for the message.

An update first.

The trickle charger didn't work. I am sure it would if the battery was fully charged to start with but I realise that this gadget will only top up what is already there.

But I did buy a Buture jump start pack off Amazon. Absolutely amazing. £70, about the size and weight of a 1 litre milk carton, and started the vehicle first time. Takes about 4 hours to fully charge but then retains that charge for ages if not used. As well as jump starting vehicles up to 8 litres diesel or petrol, you can also use it as a portable power pack to charge mobiles and laptops etc. I will definitely keep this gadget charged and ready to go every time I go to get the moho from storage.

Anyway, back answer to your question, I do have a solar panel on the roof which only charges the leisure batteries. Dealer who sold me the vehicle said they would only link to the vehicle battery if I had specifically asked. I was a newbie, what was I to know? However, as the moho is currently with a very helpful local dealer having a hydraulic leak to my E & P levelling system fixed , he will do whatever is necessary to link the solar panel to the vehicle battery as well. Hopefully problem solved.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Have a look at Vanbitz for a battery master and read up on how they work.
You could search on here too as I think Jim sells them. Very easy to wire up and it’ll solve all your problems.

Link here for discounts:

Link Removed

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Thanks for the message.

An update first.

The trickle charger didn't work. I am sure it would if the battery was fully charged to start with but I realise that this gadget will only top up what is already there.

But I did buy a Buture jump start pack off Amazon. Absolutely amazing. £70, about the size and weight of a 1 litre milk carton, and started the vehicle first time. Takes about 4 hours to fully charge but then retains that charge for ages if not used. As well as jump starting vehicles up to 8 litres diesel or petrol, you can also use it as a portable power pack to charge mobiles and laptops etc. I will definitely keep this gadget charged and ready to go every time I go to get the moho from storage.

Anyway, back answer to your question, I do have a solar panel on the roof which only charges the leisure batteries. Dealer who sold me the vehicle said they would only link to the vehicle battery if I had specifically asked. I was a newbie, what was I to know? However, as the moho is currently with a very helpful local dealer having a hydraulic leak to my E & P levelling system fixed , he will do whatever is necessary to link the solar panel to the vehicle battery as well. Hopefully problem solved.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.
Highbridge by any chance? Told me solar charged both batteries via a magic grey box and charged me £ accordingly but total rubbish!

OP
OP
Smi66y
Jan 7, 2018
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090df
Exp
Moho since June 2018
Not Highbridge. Rather not say just yet. Still have 2nd year hab, damp and vehicle service to be completed before I go independent!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back