R.I .A .T. 2017 (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Hoping to get to the Royal International Air Tattoo this year.
Anyone have experience of camping near RAF Fairfield, please ?
I have details of Townsend Farm, but I believe there may be other options.
Thanks in advance

Bill

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
There are always organised rally fields which might be worth looking at if you are a member of the cc or c&cc ( both have rally fields).
Townsend farm is a bit of a way away, it's ok if you plan to go in ( although a hike to get in) no great views from there. Next to this one is flyby camping .
Totterdown farm camping is nearer than two above but there is one at the end of the runway called Kempsford camping (airshowcamping.co.uk) . I understand the last one is hard to get into as it's the most popular and people book year after year.

If you have tickets to get into the air show then Kempsford camping is best.

If you want to watch from outside Totterdown is best as it's on a hill overlooking the airfield. But it's a trek to the RIAT site itself.

If you are happy to cycle in there is normally camping on the school field at Fairford itself. This is about 2 or so miles from the entrance but traffic tends to be very slow on RIAT days but not good for walking ( no pavement).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Hoping to get to the Royal International Air Tattoo this year.
Anyone have experience of camping near RAF Fairfield, please ?
I have details of Townsend Farm, but I believe there may be other options.
Thanks in advance

Bill

We stayed on Townsend Farm for the last two years. I can't comment on going into the show itself as we didn't bother. We just got the chairs out and watched from the field. The views are good as it's on the flightpath back to the runway. The only parts of the show we didn't see was that immediately above the showground, helicopters for example.

Think there are about 6 camping fields, 3 general and 3 quiet but even the general don't get that noisy. It's also got its own bar.

I'll dig a couple of pictures out if I can find them.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Both of these taken 2015 and a good excuse to post a picture of the Vulcan again.

IMG_2435.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back