Question re Registration (1 Viewer)

Vizulize

Free Member
Aug 15, 2017
Funster No
Not sure which is the correct sub-forum to Post this question, so I will Post it here. If this is the wrong sub-forum then will someone please move it to the correct sub-forum. Thanks.

I want to purchase a LHD motorhome in Europe. It will probably be new or nearly-new but will definitely be purchased from an authorized dealer and not a private purchase. This vehicle will be used exclusively in Europe and will never be brought to the UK. Therefore I want to purchase, register, tax and insure the vehicle in a country in Europe.

Questions :

Which country would be best to facilitate this and what would I need to bring to the transaction - other than the cash..?

Viz

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wherever you live in the EU, you must register your car in the country where you have your permanent residence.

You are not usually allowed to register your car in a country where you have a secondary residence or holiday house.

So if you are a UK resident you have to register your vehicle in the UK. if you live in France you need to register in France and so on. As far as I am aware you can not just choose where to register the vehicle.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/formalities/index_en.htm

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Wherever you live in the EU, you must register your car in the country where you have your permanent residence.

I do not believe this is accurate. I have legally registered vehicles in Spain where I do have a property but am not fiscally resident in that country. However, it is not permitted to drive a vehicle registered overseas in the country where you are fiscally resident ie I am not allowed to drive my Spanish registered vehicle in the UK.

The document you refer to also states "There is no EU‑wide law on vehicle registration." ie it is up to each member state to have their own policy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I do not believe this is accurate. I have legally registered vehicles in Spain where I do have a property but am not fiscally resident in that country. However, it is not permitted to drive a vehicle registered overseas in the country where you are fiscally resident ie I am not allowed to drive my Spanish registered vehicle in the UK.
Quite right, I think the point here is that you have to have a Fiscal Number and be registered on the Padron to be able to buy the car in Spain, I certainly couldn't complete the purchase of my car left there without those items.

In this case the OP doesn't seem to have any physical property in Europe so I don't think it is possible in his case.

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes @Xabia I totally agree. I also had to make the relevant registrations and have the appropriate documentation. If I recall I even needed an NIE for my first mobile with Movistar :( but that must be at least 15 years ago.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Is there a reason for not registering it in the UK? If you're resident here seems you're giving yourself undue grief.

Insurance could be a problem if you dont have an address in the country of registration.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back