PVC on drive (2 Viewers)

barsellslager

Free Member
Feb 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
none yet
Hi all, I’m looking to buy a auto-trail v-line, new or second hand not sure yet depends on how long I have to wait , my question is we live in south east England not too far from dartford bridge but within the M25, wanted to store PVC on owe drive but had a Ford transit stolen ( I’m a builder) about 6 years back also approximately 20 years ago we had owe caravan parked on the drive for 3 days then went on holiday and some lowlife tried to break into our and about 6 others houses I think it was a coincidence but wife thinks someone was watching so very nervous, don’t really want to put PVC in storage ( approximately 50 minutes from home) as we was hoping to just sort of jump into the PVC and go, any thoughts would be appreciated , thanks bar sells lager

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If the PVC is not on the drive nobody will know if your away or not,

but parking on your drive and then going away is a good indication the house is empty .

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The best theft deterrent is a garage, I made ours taller and longer so it fits inside:

20210831_191650.jpg

If you can't do that and can park it where it doesn't have to be moved, I'd take two wheels off it.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi all, I’m looking to buy a auto-trail v-line, new or second hand not sure yet depends on how long I have to wait , my question is we live in south east England not too far from dartford bridge but within the M25, wanted to store PVC on owe drive but had a Ford transit stolen ( I’m a builder) about 6 years back also approximately 20 years ago we had owe caravan parked on the drive for 3 days then went on holiday and some lowlife tried to break into our and about 6 others houses I think it was a coincidence but wife thinks someone was watching so very nervous, don’t really want to put PVC in storage ( approximately 50 minutes from home) as we was hoping to just sort of jump into the PVC and go, any thoughts would be appreciated , thanks bar sells lager
I would get house security plus cameras covering the parking area.

Builders' vans are targets for scum looking for tools to sell on. Campervans might be less tempting, especially with cameras, alarms and deterrents such as wheel locks and drive barriers posts.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
can you use the PVC for day trips, to the shops etc so it's seen to go out regularly but then returns. Makes it a bigger gamble if seeing it leave is the cue to break in?
dna beat me to it.
Exactly the reason we don't SORN our PVC. We use for occasional shopping trips, days out and even for work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve got ours at home with several layers of security, some obvious some not.

Obvious ones….Growler alarm (stickers on all doors), steering wheel clamp, VIN Chip on all clear glass and plastics with two hidden micro chips, CCTV…..not saying what else I have, but always looking for additions. ;)

We wanted it at home, as when we started putting our caravan (many years ago) in storage, we used it less and it was damaged on a number of occasions whilst there. (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
We’ve got ours at home with several layers of security, some obvious some not.

Obvious ones….Growler alarm (stickers on all doors), steering wheel clamp, VIN Chip on all clear glass and plastics with two hidden micro chips, CCTV…..not saying what else I have, but always looking for additions. ;)

We wanted it at home, as when we started putting our caravan (many years ago) in storage, we used it less and it was damaged on a number of occasions whilst there. (y)
Got the impression that OP was just as concerned about his house security when low life realized van not there so house must be empty, as well as his van security..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barsellslager

Free Member
Feb 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
none yet
Thanks for the replies so far, very helpful. I was going to have fitted deadlocks on all doors which I have on my work van, steering wheel lock, heavy duty wheel clamp, large heavy duty motorbike chain joining steering wheel and door handle, clutch & brake locking clamp clamp , thanks again

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Got the impression that OP was just as concerned about his house security when low life realized van not there so house must be empty, as well as his van security..
We’ve also got a very good house alarm and CCTV covering the house.

Can’t worry about every eventuality, so if Mr Burglar is that keen on watching my house waiting for me to go away what can I do? He’ll have a hard job getting in and the house alarm is as loud as the van alarm.….and we’ve got good neighbours. (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I too am in the south and have a PVC. I've got a steering wheel lock and a heavy duty wheel clamp. Ours is probably not quite so desirable as its LHD. It's also a make not available in UK (Challenger) Whilst it wouldn't prevent the van being stolen, it would be a devil to get rid of/sell. Must admit I don't use the wheel clamp often unless we are away without the van.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back