LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
I'm considering using the above. Has anyone used this I.e. the liquid foam pumped into them.
Any experience/views, please .

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think it's a great idea, but there are a couple of issues.
1) You can't leave the wheel stationary for too long or the goop solidifies in the bottom of the tyre.
2) When you need to change the tyre, your mechanic is not going to be your friend.

I've recently gone back to mountain biking. Mountain bike tyres are now pretty much all tubeless with liquid tyre sealant. It's amazing stuff, even small tears in the sidewalls just splutter for a few seconds before gumming up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
The liquid foam foam is ok in emergencies but tends to hold the tyre up but with multiple punctures joining up could and have caused a blow out which could be fatal .Would not feel comfortable doing 60 mph on a motorway ,better to fit tyrepal and carry a spare wheel

Reactions: LAM
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have used puncture safe for the past 9 years. in our current van for the past 7 yrs.

I am not sure what type of foam you are thinking of but Puncture safe is a type of Gooo! that remains liquid during its lifespan.
There are different grades available dependent on the application. However, it is not good and will not seal any form of tyre wall puncture. and you would not want it too, as that is where the most danger is from a punctured surface.

I drive on motorways with cruise set at 69 mph and I dont feel worried by its use and dont have a spare wheel...

but each to our own, you and only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The liquid foam foam is ok in emergencies but tends to hold the tyre up but with multiple punctures joining up could and have caused a blow out which could be fatal .Would not feel comfortable doing 60 mph on a motorway ,better to fit tyrepal and carry a spare wheel

I think the emergency foam you get instead of a spare wheel is designed to set straight away. The puncture resistant liquid is supposed to remain liquid until it finds a hole.

The mountainbike liquid is dammed good stuff, it does go off after a few months. I suspect there's more air loss and pumping of fresh air into a mountain bike tyre though. And it probably has to cope with many more holes than a van tyre would.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I have the sealant and recently brought tyre pal, I contacted them with regards to their information that the sealant may not be compatible with a tyrepal system. Having contacted tyrepal they informed me that the tyrepal has been altered to work with sealant but if a problem then return it. I have not used the tyrepal on van yet so still do not know. No issues with sealant.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a few of my experiences with the Puncture GOO!!

Tyre repair goo and the type that stays in your tyre for their life are not the same.

i park my van up for around 2 months over winter and have no issues with solidification.
I am on my second set of tyres on the current van and when the tyres were changed i was with the fitter as i wanted to see what was left and what condition it was in.
it was still liquid and in the same condition as when it was pumped in.
the fitter had no issues with it whatsoever a wipe out with a large paper towel was all that was needed.

the only thing you will notice is: on first fitting you will need to drive 4 or 5 miles to distribute the goo and during that time you will feel some small whell vibration. once that has gone it has not ever reappeared and all has been smooth.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I did have it in my tyres including the trailer but the front wheels were not happy and caused a lot of vibration. Anyway I fitted Tyrepal sensers and believed that they were not compatible so had the gunge taken out.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Phill B is 100% right. used punture safe for years ever had any problems. The “goo” that puncture safe use is water soluble and can be washed out with water

Reactions: GPW

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
had it before (OKO) and waiting for it to be fitted in my current van, then dispensing with the very heavy and unwieldy spare wheel to save weight.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
There is a company at all The Warners Shows up & Down the country, they are also at The NEC stabbing a trailer tyre all day long.
I thought the price quoted was for me of Scottish decent pricey, as I have already shelled out £150 for a spare wheel & Tyre.
Thanks for the heads upon The TyrePal incompatibility I had no idea there would be a conflict, but now it makes sense.
Les

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Used tyre preventative since it was introduced for the army vehicles. Never had a puncture in any of my vehicles or the company vans. Easy for DIY.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Used it on a motorcycle and had to have it removed - terrible vibrations as tyre was always out of balance. Cannot have been spreading around the tyre evenly. Tyre fitter made me wash it out!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We used a Product called Protex in our caravan and tow car (X-Trail) about ten years ago without problem until I changed to another car (Freelander) fitted with Goodyear tyres. It caused severe wheel imbalance because the tyres had internal mouldings that trapped the fluid preventing it evenly spreading out.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I had it done from new and have found no problems after nearly 3 years of use. I'm not sure that everyone posting on this thread reporting problems are talking about the same type of product. My van is not normally parked for much longer than a couple of weeks, but since it is a liquid I would not expect wheel balance problems. It's a worthwhile investment which has given me thousands of miles of security.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You guys that have Puncturesafe on your motorhome tyres did you DIY or get someone in to do it, if DIY was it easy to do.

DIY. you need a jack, tyre valve removal tool ( inner valve that is ) , and a method of reflating the tyres.

first time i had it done by an agent. on the current van did it myself on the old tyres and subsequent new tyres.

no issues just follow the instructions and have a spare valve inner and cap available... just in case "Murphy " comes along and steals or damages one!!!!:rolleyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; there are several brand names for the same product i am sure.... but it is used in many military situations and in heavy plant.

the amount you put in depends on your tyre size and the bottles it comes in are graduated so you can measure the amount inserted.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks, had a feeling it was all the same stuff. I think for the first time I will get Puncture Control to do it when I am at The National Ragley Hall in May.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
since it is a liquid I would not expect wheel balance problems
We never had any wheel balance problems in several years of having it in our caravan and tow car. That’s why I chose it again in our new tow car, but as said it caused severe wheel imbalance in our Goodyear tyres because they had mouldings inside that trapped the liquid preventing it from evenly smoothing out.
Nowadays I prefer the security of Tyre Pal and a spare. It appears to be used mainly in slow moving vehicles and I’m a bit more concerned that travelling at speed I could have quite severe damage from a large object in a tyre and not know about it until it blew. I’d rather be informed there is a problem and fix it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its all about what each individual feels comfortable with..

i for one will not be changing a motorhome wheel at the side of the road.... its in the too difficult / dangerous bracket... it would be call recovery.

OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Our MH doesn't have a spare wheel (Chausson) only a container of 'Goo'. So when I saw the OKO company and thought it would be worth some thought.
:thanks3:for all the help and advice.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've used puncturesafe for many years, no problems I always tell any tyre place who have to work on a tyre thats it's there and they let all the pressure out before pushing the tyre off the rim, otherwise it might pebbledash the workshop.
It can be used with tyrepal though it will occasionally block the sensor easily cleaned though

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
A lot of these tyre sealants damage Alloy wheels as I found out with a Goldwing I once owned. Could not find the air loss but it had rotted the alli around the valve. Cost me a refurb of the wheel

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
You guys that have Puncturesafe on your motorhome tyres did you DIY or get someone in to do it, if DIY was it easy to do.

emailed puncturesafe in February, said they would get back to me, still not heard, so went on ebay, bought a bottle of oko fluid and applicator for less than £25, did it myself, all four wheels took me an hour tops. You do really need a small compressor, but I just jacked each wheel up, deflated, inserted fluid , reflated, job done, over £120 saved on puncturesafe quote!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back