PRICE OF CAM BELT KIT (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2013
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Hi Guy
Not been on for a while.The usual/ gran kids/ covid/ work all take so much time now
Need some info from you people in the know.We have a 2001Hobby 750 tag ax 55,000 on the clock belt was done at 45,000 my Query is the price for the job
I have had 4 quotes rang rangeing from £320-£611 all with good reviews.The trouble is the cheapest is in Nottingham where it was done last time .It was £250.00 then that was 5 years ago.I live in glos where the most exspensive price is cant get my head round the diffrence in price,Both are with parts included/water pump and so on.Ihave the old bill for it last time they did it in 0.75 hours £50.00 labour am i paying for monkeys that dont really know what they are doing at £611 taking their time and hiking up the cost.Any thoughts or help would great
God talk about go round the houses sorry STAY SAFE ONE AND ALL

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
From what I have heard, £611 is still regarded as cheap.

My neighbour paid £1100, me, I idid it myself.

Also did mine at around 7 years and the belt and pulley looked brand new when it came off, but horses for courses and peace of mind.

You could book in and make a weekend of it?

Good luck.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The type of kit fitted might have a big impact on price. Some kits are not only higher quality than others but also cost quite a bit more.
Must admit at those prices I would be inclined to have it done where it was done before it's the cheapest and you know it was done properly last time.

However, fuel costs and possibly an overnight to the costs will need adding to the costs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have a different engine to you as mine 2015. However, I found when ringing around recently for cambelt change the prices varied wildly from £250 (but the chap didn’t seem to know the engine) to £1200 at a Fiat garage to include service and Mot.

I got a quote from G&M motors at Old Gloucester Airfield which was inbetween and they seemed reliable and efficient and recommended by another funster in Gloucester.
My timing belt kit (includes water pump on my engine) was £120 plus vat and labour 8 hours @ £48 plus vat.
My total bill to include full service and MOT was £791. They would have done it in one day if I could have got there early enough but we would still have had to take car to come home anyway so decided to go for 11am and collect next day.
Hope this helps 87E21185-D371-44DA-9AD4-724EC2EF0A05.jpeg
B2B772A9-15F2-400A-A48A-44BCA411E178.jpeg

Last edited:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I have a different engine to you as mine 2015. However, I found when ringing around recently for cambelt change the prices varied wildly from £250 (but the chap didn’t seem to know the engine) to £1200 at a Fiat garage to include service and Mot.

I got a quote from G&M motors at Old Gloucester Airfield which was inbetween and they seemed reliable and efficient and recommended by another funster in Gloucester.
My timing belt kit (includes water pump on my engine) was £120 plus vat and labour 8 hours @ £48 plus vat.
My total bill to include full service and MOT was £791. They would have done it in one day if I could have got there early enough but we would still have had to take car to come home anyway so decided to go for 11am and collect next day.
Hope this helpsView attachment 447407
View attachment 447408

I use these people for al mine, cars and Moho. Never had a problem with them.

OP
OP
newmoontime1313
Sep 29, 2013
Tetbury, Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
Thanks guys as said make a weekend of it the last company must have done a good job its been ok since
But you all seem to be in the same ball park on cost that i would expect to pay
Many thanks for your input

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It depends on the mechanics hourly rate really - it should take four hours for a Fiat Ducato.
Buy the parts yourself and give them to the mechanic if you feel his parts are too expensive.
I would recommend Gates belt - plus change the tensioner and water pump - all available online.
And kiss your warranty good bye :Eeek:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It depends on the mechanics hourly rate really - it should take four hours for a Fiat Ducato.
Buy the parts yourself and give them to the mechanic if you feel his parts are too expensive.
I would recommend Gates belt - plus change the tensioner and water pump - all available online.
G & M motors use Gates parts. I asked when I got the quote.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks so much Riverbanktannie& the Dotties Just been on to G&M gave me loads of info really helpful And best of all £260.69 to do the job with a courtesy car if i need it Many Many thanks
We found a great camping /outdoor shop nearby called Attwoolls, we managed to get ourselves some new chairs.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

Very unlikely G&M will fit your parts, because as Geo said, there is no warranty on your, but G&M will. Cover any problems when they source. They only use Gates.
Your baby is in safe hands😄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back