Potential purchase (1 Viewer)

Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
I'm currently looking at an Elddis 115 platinum edition on sale through motorhome depot. I have some concerns over what might be some minor issues and potentially a bigger one. The worst being that I'm not sure if the third service has been done which if not, would invalidate the water ingress warranty.

I don't want to break any forum rules by firing up a link for someone more knowledgeable to have a look at, is this allowed?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I don't think you'll be breaking any forum rules by putting up a link and asking for folks opinions, although it won't be hard to find now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp

I've already asked if he's willing to move on the price and the owner has said he's not willing to go below £35k.
I don't want to ask the questions about my concerns if I'm better just walking away. No point in wasting my time and his.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

I've already asked if he's willing to move on the price and the owner has said he's not willing to go below £35k.
I don't want to ask the questions about my concerns if I'm better just walking away. No point in wasting my time and his.
Have you seen the van in person ? Even though its relatively new take a damp meter and give it a good check, it's a lot easier if you find issues before rather than after purchase. If you are tall I'd check out the beds as the discription says can be used as singles with the use of cab seats, not sure how comfy that would be.
On price if you are happy with the van make an offer and don't be embarrassed if it's low as MD are agents and they have to take the offer to their clients as I'm sure there's some wriggle room.

Our first van was an Elddis and and about 2 years old when we bought it, although it's classed as entry level we level van we had no issues but I do know when the dealer we traded it in to found some damp in the over cab area and the van was only 5 years old.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2021
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 874
Exp
I don't have an answer to your question, but I bought my Motorhome through Motorhome Depot a few months ago. The broker, Chris Gage was fantastic and delivered the van from Scotland to Castle Donington. I took a chance on it without seeing it, but I did have a good video call before it left Scotland and I didn't transfer any money until it was on my drive. Not much help to you, but the Motorhome Depot company worked for me and good follow up calls too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
I've not seen it in person due to restrictions but don't see him going much below £35k. It looks like a lot of van for the money but it's the issues on the paperwork I'm more concerned about.
I think I'll probably walk away from it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
I don't have an answer to your question, but I bought my Motorhome through Motorhome Depot a few months ago. The broker, Chris Gage was fantastic and delivered the van from Scotland to Castle Donington. I took a chance on it without seeing it, but I did have a good video call before it left Scotland and I didn't transfer any money until it was on my drive. Not much help to you, but the Motorhome Depot company worked for me and good follow up calls too.
That's really good to know. Thanks

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've not seen it in person due to restrictions but don't see him going much below £35k. It looks like a lot of van for the money but it's the issues on the paperwork I'm more concerned about.
I think I'll probably walk away from it.
If your head tells you to walk then that's the best thing to do, if it's just the service have you asked the question via email so you get an answer in writing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
I think I'll phone MD tomorrow and if he gives the right answers I'll get him to put it in writing.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are of course talking to an Agent simly tell him what the deal has to be inc all srvices up to date and what warranties are wanted and a price you want to pay. It really is that simple, ive bought through Motor Home Depot and got exactly what i asked for
Whent to view and drove it home

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you do agree a deal get EVERYTHING in writing without any 'get out clauses' for the seller or dealer, so you know exactly what you are buying and so do they.

One thing to check is the engine - it doesn't say what bhp it is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Right. After speaking with him and verifying most of the small issues. I'm left with 3.
1. Habitation survey us due by march to maintain the warranty.
2. There's an outstanding vehicle recall that the agent didn't even know about (he's coming back to me on that one).
3. The reverse camera is blurry to the point of being unusable.

I'm happy to pay the £35k if these are rectified or £34,500 if I have to do it myself. Does anyone think that sounds like a fair deal for a motorhome that's only done 8700 and has only done an average of 800/900 miles per year for the last 2 years?

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It might just be me but I’d never offer my best offer that early unless you are desperate for this van, I’d go in about 32 hoping to pay 34. The embarrassment of a low off will only last a minute or two so go for it.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Right. After speaking with him and verifying most of the small issues. I'm left with 3.
1. Habitation survey us due by march to maintain the warranty.
2. There's an outstanding vehicle recall that the agent didn't even know about (he's coming back to me on that one).
3. The reverse camera is blurry to the point of being unusable.

I'm happy to pay the £35k if these are rectified or £34,500 if I have to do it myself. Does anyone think that sounds like a fair deal for a motorhome that's only done 8700 and has only done an average of 800/900 miles per year for the last 2 years?
I would suggest going in with a much lower offer around 31/32k they can only say no.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think you've answered your own question. When in doubt, walk away.
They'll be another van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
It's advertised at 36k. I'd rather pay 34k but the owner has already said he's not really willing to go below 35k.
We really want it as it is exactly what we're after.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
It's advertised at 36k. I'd rather pay 34k but the owner has already said he's not really willing to go below 35k.
We really want it as it is exactly what
Everyone wants to feel they got a bargain and not pay the asking price. If it was advertised at 39 and you offered 35 you’d be delighted. If it is really the van you want and is exactly what you need then a couple of thousand over the long term is nothing to worry about. On the other hand if you are the seller and you are offered a good sale at £1000 less than you think you would take it makes you think again. A bird in the hand and all that. Make an offer you can always increase it.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We really want it as it is exactly what we're after.
There are always others

And personally 1k movement on a 36k van is not enough for me . I rarely pay more than 90% of an asking price but its usually even less.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DMC65
Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Well I know not to try and sell anything to you guys!! Hahaha
I like a bargain as much as anyone else. I think 34k is a good price but then I'm a novice when it comes to motorhomes.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Everyone wants to feel they got a bargain and not pay the asking price. If it was advertised at 39 and you offered 35 you’d be delighted. If it is really the van you want and is exactly what you need then a couple of thousand over the long term is nothing to worry about. On the other hand if you are the seller and you are offered a good sale at £1000 less than you think you would take it makes you think again. A bird in the hand and all that. Make an offer you can always increase it.
If it was advertised at 39 he wouldn’t look at it 😀

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I know not to try and sell anything to you guys!! Hahaha
I like a bargain as much as anyone else. I think 34k is a good price but then I'm a novice when it comes to motorhomes.
You are buying from a dealer ....trust me they never advertise a vehicle at only a grand over what they want for it.

But they can smell desperation at 100 paces.
Im no dealer but ive bought and sold more vehicles than the average person ....i can always spot those who are very keen and those who realise there are always other items come up.

There is always more wiggle room and i can almost guarantee the owner isnt getting any more than 30k for that van so the dealer will be pocketing a nice 5k for not a lot of effort

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Amazes me when you see dealers dropping prices of secondhand vans by thousands seen a couple with £10k off.
Makes you wonder what they make!!

But that’s all immaterial if you like something that much sometimes you have to pay the price.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back