Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’m betting that in time it will leak.
I had a VW pop top and that did.
The problem is using them and re-stowage of the roof after it’s rained. The roof needs to fully dry before closing it down. Otherwise the wet sides leak. Causes damp and causes smells.
Plus, as others have said, the rest of the van in a modern van will be insulated and although they’ll use an insulated liner for the sides (old VW’s used to be canvas) you have to open vents, otherwise there’s a lot of condensation formed up there.
Finally, getting up there and sleep space and comfort isn’t the best for an adult.
However, each to their own I suppose.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Well I had a VW pop top for fifteen years. A Bilbo Celeste, bought new in 2002. It didn’t leak once. It didn’t smell damp ever, despite the roof often going down in the rain. Condensation in cold weather was greatly reduced if the roof was lowered over night and never a big issue.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I like it, it's what we all want, more room in a small space, and the back door is brilliant, how many times do we read of folks who can't get out of the door on a packed Aire, we love backing up to the sea with the back doors open.
Can't fault it myself.
For people who take kids occasionally it's also excellent, you don't have to tow all that extra space if you haven't got them but it's there if you do.
Excellent idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I found the owner, Mr Gerald I think. :giggle:

1631690514181.png
1631690514181.png

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
We really thought hard on a van conversion like a Hymercar with a pop top for our daughter.

The biggest issue for us was that in the standard Ducato I could not stand up straight , and we had a couple of trips where a couple of pop tops had roof damage in wind storms or had to lower the roof.

Hence we went for the extra high Weinsberg instead 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back