Pop top A Class (1 Viewer)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Seen on site Today. It is a Dethleffs A class. Strange design wonder if it’s a one off as can’t find one for sale. Didn’t see the owner to ask
9BB890F1-DE17-4DB7-91B7-9EAABA1AE797.jpeg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Why? I never understand why someone would buy a solid van which you can sleep reasonably insulated from the weather, then stick a pop top on it which effectively turns it into a tent ! 🥴 I can understand it if it’s a VW because you need to stand up but not a PVC or A Class.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect it's a retrofit, perhaps the owners are grandparents and wanted to take the grandsprogs away but didn't want to change their MH in order to do so, this would likely be a much cheaper option that changing their MH anyway, quite a sensible solution really.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I have to say apart from the pop top. It is a nice little compact A class and in the right layout with the rear door could work for a lot of people especially with driveway parking issues.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
5.65m long and 2.15m wide. If they'd put a drop-down over the cab instead of a pop-top, I'd be first in the queue.
I think it has one of those too ... look carefully at this part of the video as there appears to be a drop down bed with a mattress on it.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I think it has one of those too ... look carefully at this part of the video as there appears to be a drop down bed with a mattress on it.

But I think the pop up top is just more air.

Deleted User
Negativity about a poptop vans is understandable with the older generation for a number of reasons.
Firstly as they are not as spritly as the use to be so getting up there is the first problem, the VW California doesn't even have a ladder A slightly negative view is understandable to funsters travelling as a couple but with children it's a great use of space.
In a relatively small van this set up works well, the kids have there own room to store there various electronic gadgets etc and watch movies whilst not disturbing adults below.
As for it being cold in the roof, hymer supply a insulated inner shield and electric blanket for our van. We have neither as our kids are ok with a water bottle when it gets really cold, but to be honest most of our camping finishes at October half term.
The other option with four travelling in a 6 m PVC is for the kids bed to be made up in the front lounge twice a day, a real pain and where do you put the bedding, what happens when the kids want to go to bed early?
For us it's the only way to add useable space in a 6m package.
On our van the roof when closed also leaves a nice void to stores bedding which comes in very handy.
The A class Dethleff looks amazing.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Looks like they didn't make it for long. No Euro6 versions sold... when it's ideal for going into cities. :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But I think the pop up top is just more air.
It says the above is a 'custom' feature so it does appear to have a bed up there if you chose that option.

1631568295788.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There are limitations with Pop tops, one is that you forgo the skylights meaning they are darker on the inside, another is that the van can feel damp if there has been a lot of rain the canvas no matter how good does attract and retain some moisture, having said this its not often it gets that bad. On the plus side as Wondering star says you do get a bit more storage and in a 6m PVC the ability for an easy sleeping area without the hassle of making up another area.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
What about this pop top, with insulated pop top

That appeared after the Hymer Vision concept:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What about this pop top, with insulated pop top
Must be aimed at the British market as it has shag-pile carpet! :rofl:

Deleted User
Another video clip, makes you wonder why it never caught on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another video clip, makes you wonder why it never caught on.

Its when you look more closely that I think you'll find the answer, eg a single burner hob, a porta-potti, you can't use the kitchen/toilet if you put a bike inside etc, so the number of people who would be happy with the compromises would be very, very small I suspect.

Deleted User
I agree the hob and toilet are a little strange but this van was first introduced in 2014.
The kitchen work area is massive and would easily take two burners as for the toilet a modern slimline PVC set up would fit and still allow rear access.
With a little updating I'm sure a market would exist.
Far to many manurfactures stick to the same boring designs.
The ability to carry more outdoor gear trumps, TV's, full ovens and hair straighteners any time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back