Polishing the acrylic windows (1 Viewer)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Over the last few days, I have been polishing the years of accumulate scratches and swirl marks out of the double-glazed acrylic windows on the van. Having gritted my teeth at the thought that I might do more harm than good, and watched the helpful YouTube video by the late John Wickersham, I set to work. I must say the results are very good and although there are still a few small scratches remaining, we are no longer 'seeing through a glass darkly'.
In the event I did not buy a scratch removing kit (Fenwicks or Seitz) but decided to use what materials I had to hand from a recent job of removing scuff marks from the rear bumper (courtesy of a lady in a hurry at a filling station).

To remove the deeper scratches I used 2000, then 3000 grade wet-and-dry abrasive paper. In practice, this meant sanding most of the window's surface and by the time I had finished this stage, I was left with silver-grey windows that one could not see through! I then used Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400. This is what I had bought to deal with the bumper problem and it is probably more aggressive than ideal so if you are thinking of doing this yourself, choose a proprietary window scratch removing product or a less aggressive cutting compound. The Menzerna 400 worked well for me but it needs using with care and requires a decent dual-action polisher (not a cheapy from Halfords) and a firm foam polishing pad to break down the compound. It will also work with a rotary polisher but this increases the risk of over-heating the acrylic.
I guess it took me about 1½-2 hours per window but we have only four windows in total so the task was not too daunting.

If anyone feels like having a go, here is the link to the John Wickersham video to get you going:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Word of warning, a lot of motorhomes are fitted with acrylic windows that are coated, this coating is very thin and you will break through it if using wet and dry or a high abrasive polish. If you break through the coating the window will look very patchy and replacement is the only cure. This is why Fenwicks and other makes of acrylic polish are very low abrasive.

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
a lot of motorhomes are fitted with acrylic windows that are coated, this coating is very thin and you will break through it if using wet and dry or a high abrasive polish.

I was thinking of giving this a go as I have one bad scratch and swirls over my windows. I have a good polisher and Fenwicks.

So is there anyway to tell if my windows are coated?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Yes as @FJmike has said, plus products such as TCut and other cutting compounds can have ammonia and solvents which are damaging to the windows some damage will start to show months after polishing as the plastic degrades. I prefer Meguires PlastX to clean acrylic and poly-carbonate.

Be extra aware that poly-carbonate headlights are all coated and exposure to ammonia or acetone will dissolve poly-carbonate. Alcohol can be used to clean marks off poly-carbonate safely

Last edited:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Another vote for Meguiars PlastX, extremely good product specifically made for acylic and polymer windows

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back