Playing guitar punishment

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Wildbill, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    The wee man did not want to play guitar.
    He sad he hated it and never wanted to play again.
    Well he stepped out of line last week at school.
    We got a letter sent home on Friday
    Asking us to have a word
    I was not a happy granddad when I fund out it's the summer holidays don't want to ground him.
    How can you ground him on holiday we did think about him doing the garden but he likes gardening
    Any way while we're on holiday he has to do 30 min guitar practice every day for the full nine weeks of the school holidays
    He is not liking it one bit
    Bill

• Nice One! Nice One! x 5
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Love it Love it x 1
  2. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +42,434
    Tell him it's guitar or bagpipes, he chooses.

Seriously though, if he hates it, why does he need to do it? He seems to be so grounded and well-behaved as a rule (or at least that's the impression you give us Bill ;) ) and he has such a range of interests. Isn't there a different musical instrument he'd rather play?

• Love it Love it x 2
  3. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

Ratings:
    +4,778
    You never know, this second chance at learning to play might encourage him. It's a wonderful thing to be able to play a musical instrument, I wish I could.

• Like it Like it x 3
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +54,679
    Me too. My biggest regret in life. And if he CAN stick at guitar all the girls will be after him when he's older..

This was in the press Jay.... you may not be interested now ..but it will change .. ask your grandad. :)

Boys, get strumming! Men who play the guitar are instantly 90% more attractive (It shows your sensitive side apparently)

• Like it Like it x 2
  5. TerryL

TerryL Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,958
    I've never thought it a good idea to "force" a youngster to do something he/she doesn't want to do, especially something like play a musical instrument. I do, however, believe it is a really useful skill that opens up many opportunities in later life. I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument properly but my parents wouldn't go for it, thought it was a "fad" even though I could almost always coax a tune out of any instrument I could get my hands on. Eventually I was able to buy my own and take lessons so I'm reasonably competent, but only play for myself.

Can you not find some way of encouraging the wee lad to want to do it for himself?

Edit - Movan's got the right idea!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,713
    My son watched Youtube videos to learn cords and copy tunes from popular songs - it made it more fun for him.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    He is very good but is like every kid he tries to push his luck apparently this had been bad behavior over several days he's Ben the six months now and never a complaint
    He might not like it at the moment but I have a feeling that it might backfire on me
    If it dose it gives him another skill and anything to do when away in the van I could just cancel the holiday but then it would just be all of us missing out.
    there are times in life when we have to do things we don't like
    This is one of those times
    He might get to like it if not he will never pick it up again but it's all part of life's rich cake
    Like I say think this will back fire on me
    The little monkey seems to be enjoying it
    When I was a kid it was bed without anything to eat
    Those days have gone thankfully
    IMG_20170702_194722.jpg

• Like it Like it x 5
  8. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +54,679
    Hi Jay ... brilliant photo ... Aunty Joy wants to hear some music next time we meet up. :)

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +42,434
    Love that photo!
    (What's the lump hammer for??? :Eeek: )

I've got an idea - get a ukelele & join in with Jay's playing :doh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. sedge

sedge Funster

Ratings:
    +5,632
    What Bill told Jay he'd smack his fingers with if he didn't practice? LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    I am in the proses of removing sum tiles in the bathroom and had just put it down on the tabile
    bill

12. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +42,434
    Well I was wondering.....

13. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +42,434
    Yeah, we all believe you Bill :whistle:

14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    to be honest I wanted to shoot him at dawn:eek:
    bill

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +78,270
    It's s shame , As Jay has made you so proud the way he has adjusted to his new school. Perhaps it was just high jinx at the end of term! All kids get Leary at that time!
    My worry is that 9 weeks is a long time for a punishment and both sticking to it will be hard. As he is only eleven cancelling the holiday may seem harsh for all of you. Could you have the holiday leave the guitar at home and make sure he does regular chores each day in the van ie washing up , emptying the bins etc.

16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    like I sad earlier in the post this could back fire on me he went up stares with guitar and laptop last night didn't stop playing till after 9pm and is up now in the she cave at 6.55am in the morning playing
    bill

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
  17. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +78,270
    Is he trying to cram 9 weeks half an hour into full days!! What a great lad!!
    He wants you to all have a good holiday I think you all deserve it after your year!!!(y)

18. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

Ratings:
    +609
    No mention of what it is he hates about playing. Is the action on the neck too high for him, making it difficult to finger the notes and chords? Or is it that he has difficulty with reading music, perhaps? Rather than punish and force him to do it, find out why first and see about making it less of a chore. Playing an instrument should be a pleasure, not a pain. :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    =
    Ihink the new dvd we got him on gutar playing has sum tunes he likes i give up
    If you see a van with a small boy playing out side when pasing spare a thaugh for the poor ocupants.
    to be honest i am cuft to bit's.:D
    It will give him sumthing to do will stave of bordum keep him of the xbox you never know he might even get good at it. (y)
    it's truned right rund on me serves me right what can i do just leave him to get on with it he has a laptop dvd and internet ases.
    thers a welth of stuff out thare and lots of time his hole life.
    its a grate gutar it was such a sheme it was siting un played a fender is ment to be played not left hanging on the wall :winky:
    bill

• Like it Like it x 3
  20. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Ratings:
    +22,972
    its a 3/4 finder he was playing regularly then just stoped we got him a new gutar and he never piked it up agan.
    i do think his musick techer at the old schoole sum how pot him off the first time he piked it up was yesterday.
    seems like he cant put it down now we ask him when he stoped playing what was wrong he just said he didnot want to do it any more.
    wer just going to leave him to it now let hime ether do it or not now told him he can leave it at home if he wants.
    he is taking it with him i cant play so i cant tech him i tryed but totaly tone deff.
    we have apps on his phone got a few dvd's
    and ytub will just leave him to it and enjoy the holiday
    bill