Playing guitar punishment (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The wee man did not want to play guitar.
He sad he hated it and never wanted to play again.
Well he stepped out of line last week at school.
We got a letter sent home on Friday
Asking us to have a word
I was not a happy granddad when I fund out it's the summer holidays don't want to ground him.
How can you ground him on holiday we did think about him doing the garden but he likes gardening
Any way while we're on holiday he has to do 30 min guitar practice every day for the full nine weeks of the school holidays
He is not liking it one bit
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Tell him it's guitar or bagpipes, he chooses.

Seriously though, if he hates it, why does he need to do it? He seems to be so grounded and well-behaved as a rule (or at least that's the impression you give us Bill ;) ) and he has such a range of interests. Isn't there a different musical instrument he'd rather play?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You never know, this second chance at learning to play might encourage him. It's a wonderful thing to be able to play a musical instrument, I wish I could.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You never know, this second chance at learning to play might encourage him. It's a wonderful thing to be able to play a musical instrument, I wish I could.

Me too. My biggest regret in life. And if he CAN stick at guitar all the girls will be after him when he's older..

This was in the press Jay.... you may not be interested now ..but it will change .. ask your grandad. :)

Boys, get strumming! Men who play the guitar are instantly 90% more attractive (It shows your sensitive side apparently)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've never thought it a good idea to "force" a youngster to do something he/she doesn't want to do, especially something like play a musical instrument. I do, however, believe it is a really useful skill that opens up many opportunities in later life. I always wanted to learn how to play an instrument properly but my parents wouldn't go for it, thought it was a "fad" even though I could almost always coax a tune out of any instrument I could get my hands on. Eventually I was able to buy my own and take lessons so I'm reasonably competent, but only play for myself.

Can you not find some way of encouraging the wee lad to want to do it for himself?

Edit - Movan's got the right idea!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My son watched Youtube videos to learn cords and copy tunes from popular songs - it made it more fun for him.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Tell him it's guitar or bagpipes, he chooses.

Seriously though, if he hates it, why does he need to do it? He seems to be so grounded and well-behaved as a rule (or at least that's the impression you give us Bill ;) ) and he has such a range of interests. Isn't there a different musical instrument he'd rather play?
He is very good but is like every kid he tries to push his luck apparently this had been bad behavior over several days he's Ben the six months now and never a complaint
He might not like it at the moment but I have a feeling that it might backfire on me
If it dose it gives him another skill and anything to do when away in the van I could just cancel the holiday but then it would just be all of us missing out.
there are times in life when we have to do things we don't like
This is one of those times
He might get to like it if not he will never pick it up again but it's all part of life's rich cake
Like I say think this will back fire on me
The little monkey seems to be enjoying it
When I was a kid it was bed without anything to eat
Those days have gone thankfully
IMG_20170702_194722.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
He is very good but is like every kid he tries to push his luck apparently this had been bad behavior over several days he's Ben the six months now and never a complaint
He might not like it at the moment but I have a feeling that it might backfire on me
If it dose it gives him another skill and anything to do when away in the van I could just cancel the holiday but then it would just be all of us missing out.
there are times in life when we have to do things we don't like
This is one of those times
He might get to like it if not he will never pick it up again but it's all part of life's rich cake
Like I say think this will back fire on me
The little monkey seems to be enjoying it
When I was a kid it was bed without anything to eat
Those days have gone thankfully
View attachment 171852

Hi Jay ... brilliant photo ... Aunty Joy wants to hear some music next time we meet up. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love that photo!
(What's the lump hammer for??? :Eeek: )

I've got an idea - get a ukelele & join in with Jay's playing :doh:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Love that photo!
(What's the lump hammer for??? :Eeek: )

I've got an idea - get a ukelele & join in with Jay's playing :doh:
I am in the proses of removing sum tiles in the bathroom and had just put it down on the tabile
bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What Bill told Jay he'd smack his fingers with if he didn't practice? LOL
Well I was wondering.....

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am in the proses of removing sum tiles in the bathroom and had just put it down on the tabile
bill
Yeah, we all believe you Bill :whistle:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It's s shame , As Jay has made you so proud the way he has adjusted to his new school. Perhaps it was just high jinx at the end of term! All kids get Leary at that time!
My worry is that 9 weeks is a long time for a punishment and both sticking to it will be hard. As he is only eleven cancelling the holiday may seem harsh for all of you. Could you have the holiday leave the guitar at home and make sure he does regular chores each day in the van ie washing up , emptying the bins etc.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It's s shame , As Jay has made you so proud the way he has adjusted to his new school. Perhaps it was just high jinx at the end of term! All kids get Leary at that time!
My worry is that 9 weeks is a long time for a punishment and both sticking to it will be hard. As he is only eleven cancelling the holiday may seem harsh for all of you. Could you have the holiday leave the guitar at home and make sure he does regular chores each day in the van ie washing up , emptying the bins etc.
like I sad earlier in the post this could back fire on me he went up stares with guitar and laptop last night didn't stop playing till after 9pm and is up now in the she cave at 6.55am in the morning playing
bill

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
like I sad earlier in the post this could back fire on me he went up stares with guitar and laptop last night didn't stop playing till after 9pm and is up now in the she cave at 6.55am in the morning playing
bill
Is he trying to cram 9 weeks half an hour into full days!! What a great lad!!
He wants you to all have a good holiday I think you all deserve it after your year!!!(y)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No mention of what it is he hates about playing. Is the action on the neck too high for him, making it difficult to finger the notes and chords? Or is it that he has difficulty with reading music, perhaps? Rather than punish and force him to do it, find out why first and see about making it less of a chore. Playing an instrument should be a pleasure, not a pain. :)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
=
Is he trying to cram 9 weeks half an hour into full days!! What a great lad!!
He wants you to all have a good holiday I think you all deserve it after your year!!!(y)
Ihink the new dvd we got him on gutar playing has sum tunes he likes i give up
If you see a van with a small boy playing out side when pasing spare a thaugh for the poor ocupants.
to be honest i am cuft to bit's.:D
It will give him sumthing to do will stave of bordum keep him of the xbox you never know he might even get good at it. (y)
it's truned right rund on me serves me right what can i do just leave him to get on with it he has a laptop dvd and internet ases.
thers a welth of stuff out thare and lots of time his hole life.
its a grate gutar it was such a sheme it was siting un played a fender is ment to be played not left hanging on the wall :winky:
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
No mention of what it is he hates about playing. Is the action on the neck too high for him, making it difficult to finger the notes and chords? Or is it that he has difficulty with reading music, perhaps? Rather than punish and force him to do it, find out why first and see about making it less of a chore. Playing an instrument should be a pleasure, not a pain. :)
its a 3/4 finder he was playing regularly then just stoped we got him a new gutar and he never piked it up agan.
i do think his musick techer at the old schoole sum how pot him off the first time he piked it up was yesterday.
seems like he cant put it down now we ask him when he stoped playing what was wrong he just said he didnot want to do it any more.
wer just going to leave him to it now let hime ether do it or not now told him he can leave it at home if he wants.
he is taking it with him i cant play so i cant tech him i tryed but totaly tone deff.
we have apps on his phone got a few dvd's
and ytub will just leave him to it and enjoy the holiday
bill

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Have you considered having a go too. Maybe on bass and you could accompany him. It would help make it more interesting and help spark his interest.

Wyn

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Good to know that the guitar is decent one. I was nearly put off early in my playing days because the instrument itself was so difficult to get along with. Sounds like he's rediscovered his mojo now, probably because you've given him new sources of musical inspiration. I hope he continues to enjoy it. :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Why does he have to play guitar?
If he hates it so much making him play it will put him off for life and will probably never pick up one again!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Why does he have to play guitar?
If he hates it so much making him play it will put him off for life and will probably never pick up one again!
Think he just needed a we push we can't get him off it now.
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good to know that the guitar is decent one. I was nearly put off early in my playing days because the instrument itself was so difficult to get along with. Sounds like he's rediscovered his mojo now, probably because you've given him new sources of musical inspiration. I hope he continues to enjoy it. :)
1499066280164-694723078.jpg

14990662558482064789738.jpg

Wouldn't think playing this would be a punishment
It's a lovely guitar and limited edition
I was told when a bought it
Had a few offers for it but would never sell it
Brand new and was never picked up till yesterday nearly two years
A blame the last school music teacher
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Have you considered having a go too. Maybe on bass and you could accompany him. It would help make it more interesting and help spark his interest.

Wyn
Hi I am stone deff have the musical ability of a demented frog tried bass uke guitar
Muthorgan I have to face it I whish a could
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love the smiley on the Fender!
Sounds like you've got it sorted Bill, well done to you & the lad. All credit to you both yet again!
Jay does seem to achieve in everything he sets his mind to, I expect he'll be headlining Glastonbury in a couple of years...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ditto CWH.

Agree you can't FORCE him .. but better a few strong words now than him regret in years to come that he didn't continue. He can stop when he is bit older if he still wants.

His friends may all just want x boxes now .. .. but in a couple of years they'll want to be friends with the cool guy who plays guitar. .

Wish I had stuck at it.

Well done Jay ... another star on your wall ... you can't be good at evérything .. nobody can ... but you have done really well.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ditto CWH.

Agree you can't FORCE him .. but better a few strong words now than him regret in years to come that he didn't continue. He can stop when he is bit older if he still wants.

His friends may all just want x boxes now .. .. but in a couple of years they'll want to be friends with the cool guy who plays guitar. .

Wish I had stuck at it.

Well done Jay ... another star on your wall ... you can't be good at evérything .. nobody can ... but you have done really well.
When I get home I will tell him at work just now sorting the boy's out before we head off this afternoon for Scotland

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Bill - we (the band) are playing a set at Polly's party at the Malvern show. If you are going, he would be welcome to play a song with us if he would like to?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back