Planning 10 day trip to Hebrides - any suggestions on pitches? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Hi all, so we'll be getting the new motorhome 2 days before a 10 day trip! We're planning on heading to the Hebrides as we love it there!

Loose plan is:
Day 1 - Bedford to Loch Lomond area (385 ish miles)
Day 2 - Loch Lomond to Skye (175 ish miles)
Day 3 - spend the day on Skye
Day 4 to 8 or 9 - Skye ferry to North Uist to Benbecula to South Uist to the ferry to Barra then the reverse to Skye
Day 9 or 10 Back to Bedford (550 ish miles)

I want to wild for some and use sites for some and yes coming back homes a looooong haul for sure but I can split that IF I feel we've done enough / spent enough time on the islands.
Problem there is that I don't know the Uists and Barra, if I was going to Lewis and Harris I'd not even post as we've been there a few times but Im looking to see if anyone here has been to the Uists etc and have some favourite spots and or advice?

Oh and for activities there's no bikes and the wife can't walk very far either, I guess we just want to immerse ourselves in the beauty of the islands :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh your not going to Barra and Vatersay are you:rolleyes: You will love it. Our favourite of them all. Make sure you watch the only plane landing in the world that is governed by tide times. Let me just check where we used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Toilet dump behind the building next to bus stop opposite ferry exit in Castlebay.. Theres parking at the community hall in Vatersay, ÂŁ5 per night, 57.041641, -7.421298 , dont miss Vatersay the beach is stunning. There is room for about 6 vans to wild up at the old harbour in Eliogarry Barra with a toilet dump and fresh water tap behind the old toilet block. 57.041641, -7.421298

The "Scurrival "campsite is ÂŁ10, 57.041641, -7.421298
has washing machines, a kitchen, sitting room etc and a pod of dolphins come every day and play nearby. I will try retracing my steps and get you coordinates, don't know why I didn't add them to our video but you'll find them on on Searchforsites. Our funster video is here.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
We loved Barra after spending10 day’s on the Hebrides last year. Stayed at Wavecrest campsite, also had a night outside the Kisimul Cafe just round the corner from the ferry. You can stay at the ferry terminal if you have an early ferry. 2 big freezer lorries stopped us staying there due to the continual noise. Garrynamonie beach is a good wild spot on south uist.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My brother has been staying at the site at Balranald on North Uist. It is next to the Balranald RSPB reserve and they have been hearing corncrakes calling and even seen one of these elusive birds.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Overnight stops Loch Lomond
Balloch Country Park, signposted from roundabout on A82. Bays at the back big enough for MHs. Can be busy during the day but quiet at night. No services but close to shops, restaurants.
Tarbert about half way up Loch. CDP and water, although water was off last time we were there, Oct 2020.

Skye new Aire at Auchtertyre Farm a few miles before Skye Bridge. overnight ÂŁ10 including services; services only ÂŁ5.

Camping Skye in Broadford allows use of facilities ÂŁ5, phone first

CDPs in car park in Portree and at the Storr, on road from Portree to Uig

Info on parking, sites and facilities in Uists and Barra here:

Enjoy!

Last edited:

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Great place, but remember to top your gas up if on LPG, none on the islands.
Thanks for the reminder. It does surprise me though as I would have thought that LPG was the islanders only option for gas.
Does anyone know if the island has gas or is it all just electric?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
No mains gas but many use calor cylinders. Peat still used for heating.

The Co-op garage in Broadford on Skye sells lpg. Also the Gleaner station in Portree and Uig service station.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I've not even got gas cylinders sorted yet :eek: Dont know whether to go for something like safefill or not to be honest, loose plan at the moment is to use the big cylinder sat under the patio bbq!

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
If you are thinking of stopping by Loch Lomond go on their site to book a park for night. Only £3. We tried to stay at Firkin - which was ok but I couldn’t get a permit. So had to stay at Tarbet, free - but had some new age Scots drinking and load talking til after 11.30.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I've not even got gas cylinders sorted yet :eek: Dont know whether to go for something like safefill or not to be honest, loose plan at the moment is to use the big cylinder sat under the patio bbq!

I'd sort out the gas ASAP. Before you pick it up.
There is a massive shortage of Calor gas cylinders in the UK at the moment, so depending on who is providing your new M/H, I'd get them to provide a couple of cylinders.
Depending on the connectors, you may or may not be able to use your BBQ gas cylinder

If you have the time, I'd recommend getting at least one refillable GasLow cylinder fitted (and keep one Calor gas cylinder), again, a dealer may be able to do this for you, or you could find a fitter on your way to Scotland
(A GasLow cylinder costs about ÂŁ5 to fill, a Calor is around ÂŁ27 to swap)

As for your route:
400 miles in a day in a motorhome, with two drivers, is impressive.
550 miles in a day in a motorhome, with two/three drivers is not going to be pleasant, I think the distance is closer to 600 miles and will take 14-16 hours

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I'd sort out the gas ASAP. Before you pick it up.
There is a massive shortage of Calor gas cylinders in the UK at the moment, so depending on who is providing your new M/H, I'd get them to provide a couple of cylinders.
Depending on the connectors, you may or may not be able to use your BBQ gas cylinder

If you have the time, I'd recommend getting at least one refillable GasLow cylinder fitted (and keep one Calor gas cylinder), again, a dealer may be able to do this for you, or you could find a fitter on your way to Scotland
(A GasLow cylinder costs about ÂŁ5 to fill, a Calor is around ÂŁ27 to swap)

As for your route:
400 miles in a day in a motorhome, with two drivers, is impressive.
550 miles in a day in a motorhome, with two/three drivers is not going to be pleasant, I think the distance is closer to 600 miles and will take 14-16 hours

I'll suss out the connectors as soon as I can as I'm leaving it short between picking up and going.
As for the driving, only one driver, me!
So yeah I think there will be a few heavy long days but I dont mind that too much but already looking at splitting the return journey up more than original plan.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Why not go a bit slower on the islands and catch the ferry from Castle Bay to Oban?

Gordon
I have to say I really don't fancy a 5 and a half hour ferry trip to be honest.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
No its not, its BOTH ways. See my image above.
They way I read it it only is relevant to Scottish residents. As it states travel to and from in the guise of Scottish residents. All the First Minister can state is residents from those areas in the uk cannot travel to Scotland, that has not been said

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When you are in Scotland then Scottish law applies. It's advice but why would you not want to follow it?

Travelling to the Scottish islands: pre-departure testing​

To reduce the risk of coronavirus being brought into island communities, we are encouraging anyone planning to travel to a Scottish island to test before they do so.

You can order rapid lateral flow tests for delivery to your home anywhere in the UK and they should arrive within 24-48 hours.

You should test three days before you plan to travel and then again on the day of departure. If you test positive, you should complete your period of self-isolation before you begin your journey.

If your test result is negative it is not a guarantee that you do not have coronavirus. You must continue to follow national and local restrictions, including coronavirus guidance. If you develop coronavirus symptoms you must self-isolate and book a PCR test.

This is a voluntary scheme and you will not need evidence of a negative test to travel to a Scottish island. However, we encourage you to participate in order to reduce the risk that you inadvertently carry coronavirus into one of our island communities.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
They way I read it it only is relevant to Scottish residents. As it states travel to and from in the guise of Scottish residents. All the First Minister can state is residents from those areas in the uk cannot travel to Scotland, that has not been said
Whether its enforceable or not it's clear they do not want people travelling to/from Scotland to those locations at the moment.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
When are you looking at going Paul as Bedford is going on the do not travel to Scotland list from the 24th temporarily.

We're planning to go second week of June but at the moment it's not relevant as I actually live outside Bedford, it's our post town but we live in Kempston just outside to be fair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back