Planning 10 day trip to Hebrides - any suggestions on pitches? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't stay at Minch View, it's a rubbish campsite, and overpriced.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I highly recommend that you watch the attached video (1 of 6 in the series) by Andrew Ditton who loves the place so much moved there last year. There's not much he doesn't know about the Outer Hebrides.
If you have a large Mh, something you may want to keep in mind is that for 6 or 7 miles the A82 above Tarbet on Loch Lomond can be very tight with over hanging rocks on one side and the Loch on the other with plenty of narrow tight bends where coaches and HGVs can come hurling around the corners without warning. An alternative route would be M73 M80 M9 to Jctn 10 then A84 through Callander onto the A85 to Crianlarich where you meet up with the A82 which comes up from Loch Lomond.
Which ever way you go, enjoy your trip, it's a wonderful part of the world (y)

Jul 30, 2017
Romney Marsh (St Mary's Bay)
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Since 2008
Toilet dump behind the building next to bus stop opposite ferry exit in Castlebay.. Theres parking at the community hall in Vatersay, £5 per night, 57.041641, -7.421298 , dont miss Vatersay the beach is stunning. There is room for about 6 vans to wild up at the old harbour in Eliogarry Barra with a toilet dump and fresh water tap behind the old toilet block. 57.041641, -7.421298

The "Scurrival "campsite is £10, 57.041641, -7.421298
has washing machines, a kitchen, sitting room etc and a pod of dolphins come every day and play nearby. I will try retracing my steps and get you coordinates, don't know why I didn't add them to our video but you'll find them on on Searchforsites. Our funster video is here.

Like your info but all your positions are the same place. ????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flying Fifer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Lunar H622
Exp
2014 (camper/ caravanner since 1990's)
Where you stay still counts as the area not to travel from - surely? My understanding when any restrictions are placed that it covers the geographical area not just a town.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
OOPs, Well spotted, WellWornTraveller must've been a copy paste error.

Eliogarry Barra with a toilet dump and fresh water tap behind the old toilet block. 57.041641, -7.421298

The "Scurrival "campsite is £10, 57.052867 -7.444679

Theres parking at the community hall in Vatersay, £5 per night, 56.927071, -7.536062

Last edited:

Paddington

Free Member
Oct 31, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Vw transporter
Exp
You mention wild camping. I recently booked ferry tickets to islay. The islands are currently strongly discouraging wild camping for various reasons. Also the Scottish govt are encouraging people visiting the islands to take a lateral flow tests 3 days before travelling and on the day of travelling. These can be ordered online free of charge. The islands don't have the infrastructure to cope with an outbreak of co vid or mass wild camping...it was awful last summer.
I've noticed lots of people on this site like to make political comments regarding Scotland at present and I'm not interested in hearing those. I would just say...I think it's your civic duty and the act of a responsible person to comply with these measures and if you don't like it then don't visit an area.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Vatersay and Eoligarry pier have both been recommended as they are both stunning locations but remember to make the contribution to the Community Fund as not everyone does. Can't think why you would grudge £5 a night for a near perfect wild site with golden beaches. Before you go get a copy of Whisky Galore (the original one) and watch it. It was all filmed on Barra using the locals as extras. It's a pretty accurate description of some of the old ways on the islands and it's still amusing.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Where you stay still counts as the area not to travel from - surely? My understanding when any restrictions are placed that it covers the geographical area not just a town.
Bedford is a town though not a geographical area?

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
You mention wild camping. I recently booked ferry tickets to islay. The islands are currently strongly discouraging wild camping for various reasons. Also the Scottish govt are encouraging people visiting the islands to take a lateral flow tests 3 days before travelling and on the day of travelling. These can be ordered online free of charge. The islands don't have the infrastructure to cope with an outbreak of co vid or mass wild camping...it was awful last summer.
I've noticed lots of people on this site like to make political comments regarding Scotland at present and I'm not interested in hearing those. I would just say...I think it's your civic duty and the act of a responsible person to comply with these measures and if you don't like it then don't visit an area.
I will indeed be looking at a mix of wilding and sites and with me and the wife both nurses working through the horrors of covid believe me there's no way we want to endanger anyone much less ourselves.

William34

Free Member
Mar 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-6 Coachbui
We are doing the North coast 500 from the 9/6 some people recommend east to west rather than west to east can anyone else suggest the best route
We have LPG gas so will need at some stages to fill up on the route if you can help
Could someone recommend some good camp sites with facilities on the route round or may be pub car parks that do food

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
We are off to the outer Hebrides soon,on advice from locals when we contacted sites,pre book.We have pre booked sites and ferries.
We had to abandon our trip to the outer Hebrides as I required an op.Good to see you got your sites booked and ferries.We were totally refunded all our pre booked sites and ferries.Hopefully later this year for us now.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We are heading to The Hebrides tommorrow but have had to go via Skye as i could not get availability from Ullapool. All the rest of the ferries have good availability with only a couple of times fully booked.

West Harris Trust camping spots near Seilebost and on the road to Luskentyre are good for overnight parking. A contribution of £5 payable via Paypal is requested to help maintain the parking spots.
Huisinis parking area is also great, with toilets & showers and Elsan and fresh water available ( £3 charge ). Allow 40/45 minutes to drive there as it is almost all single track with passing places, and also very scenic.

Uig Sands ( Ardroil ) is another area that has facilities provided by the local grazing committee which are contained in a storage container well converted with toilets, showers, campers kitchen. There is also fresh water, waste water empty point and Elsan point. Parking is on hardstanding with the beach behind this.

Enjoy your time on the islands, they are great.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We are doing the North coast 500 from the 9/6 some people recommend east to west rather than west to east can anyone else suggest the best route
We have LPG gas so will need at some stages to fill up on the route if you can help
Could someone recommend some good camp sites with facilities on the route round or may be pub car parks that do food
West to East, as that way you are driving on the coast side of the road but the East coast is a bit of a let down after the West!
LPG available at Ullapool a couple of years ago, might need to check. Not at the service station in the village but at the industrial estate a little to the North - the owner is a MH owner. Also at Skiach services just off the A9 near Alness.

Oct 24, 2020
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana 65ET
Exp
Since 2012
If you have the time, I'd recommend getting at least one refillable GasLow cylinder fitted (and keep one Calor gas cylinder), again, a dealer may be able to do this for you, or you could find a fitter on your way to Scotland
I would second this advice. We have just installed a Gaslow cylinder ourselves and have a Calor gas cylinder as well. To install the GasLow was quick and easy - no problems at all

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
Tips on a wild camp in Harris please. Stayed at Barra, north and south Uist and now Harris. Bit disappointed with all but one site. Popular wild camp spots are very busy apparently, so if anyone knows of an uncommon area, please let me know. During our trip we have seen so many. Thanks

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
No idea on harris / lewis, we only did Barra / Uists.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
West Harris Trust overnight spots. There are at least 4 on the way to Luskentyre, plus 1 or 2 overlooking the Seilbost Estuary. There is also a large parking area just off the main road up from the Luskentyre turnoff.
There is a parking area that will take 4 or 5 vans just up the hill from Northton.
North Harris Trust also have parking spots as you are driving nearer to Stornoway.
If you look at the Wild Isles website, that gives a good selection.
Also one of the tourist brochures show all the Campsites, Parking spots and locations of the Elsan and fresh water points. This now includes empty & fill places that some campsites allow for a small charge.
I think there is a new overnight stopover area just along the road on the way to Callanish.
Uig Sands parking area is very good. Hardstanding and has a separate area to get frsh water, Elsan empty, showers/toilets. Payment is by donation.
Cliff Beach is only 3 miles further down the road from Uig Sands, but only has a large wheelie bin for rubbish. Again payment is by donation ( £5 suggested ). Even when it is full, it does not feel crowded.
Hope some of this info helps.

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
Thank you. Very helpful. We were fortunate to stay two nights at spot 3 before Luskentyre. Luskentyre itself was rammed. We went down attempted to turn and left.
we found a great spot at a lady’s yard! EHU and only 2 pitches, on way to Butt of lewis. It’s called Hebridean camper van holidays. 2 separate toilets and showers. Immaculate. £18, after we left Uig Sands as soon as we arrived.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thank you. Very helpful. We were fortunate to stay two nights at spot 3 before Luskentyre. Luskentyre itself was rammed. We went down attempted to turn and left.
we found a great spot at a lady’s yard! EHU and only 2 pitches, on way to Butt of lewis. It’s called Hebridean camper van holidays. 2 separate toilets and showers. Immaculate. £18, after we left Uig Sands as soon as we arrived.
We loved Uig sands. Plenty of space as only three other vans there. Uig sands restaurant was fantastic and we stayed in their car park. The lobster was gorgeous.

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
Hug sands is stunning but the site was awful. Advertises 40 plots, well over that there. People who weren’t on the site could park at the back and walk through to use all the facilities. We were designated the plot next to the front door both toilets. I would urge anyone who is booking there to think twice about the electric hook ups.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hug sands is stunning but the site was awful. Advertises 40 plots, well over that there. People who weren’t on the site could park at the back and walk through to use all the facilities. We were designated the plot next to the front door both toilets. I would urge anyone who is booking there to think twice about the electric hook ups.
Ahh I think we’re talking about different things. The Uig sands park I used was like an Aire. Only space for around eight to ten vans parked side by side. I didn’t see a campsite. We only used the Aire type parking during the day. We stayed at the restaurant overnight.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
An Outer Hebrides trip is on the cards for us this year - if we go mid / late Sept would we likely avoid midge season?

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe the beach. Site at full capacity and more (over the 40 it is licensed for) with kids on school holidays running around f~big and blinding, non site users helping themselves to the facilities, loose dogs, very smal hook up plots( unable to put awning out) was dire.
Balranald was our favourite ..
What a shame. We were there about 4 years ago and it was heavenly. Very quiet. Loads of space to choose your own pitch. More like wild camping.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back