Peugeot Boxer Van conversion - GPS Tracking DIY vs Thatcham approved and fitted (1 Viewer)

trevstonbury

Free Member
Jan 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi Guys,

We have just had a 2016 Peugeot Boxer converted to use as an off-grid motorhome. I've been reading different opinions on what to do with regards to GPS tracking. Currently, I'm stuck deciding on a DIY solution like the iTrack Long life Wireless GPS Tracker;

Or going for something professional fitted and Thatcham S6/7 approved such as the SmarTrack Motorhome Protector;

Obviously, the 2nd option is more expensive, but I've been told it can lower your insurance premium. The most important thing is that it aids in the tracking recovery of the van if it was stolen. As the total value of the van is around £25+ and it's very customized I want the best option. I've also heard that there is no guarantee police will check out the location of any GPS coordinates you provide from a DIY solution. Would appreciate any opinion or past experiences!

Cheers

Trevor

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Some insurances might insist on a thatcham approved device but generally on much more expensive van's than you have.
I fitted a Chinese one off Ebay and it works fine - even has all sorts of features that you might expect an alarm to provide.
If someone is going to try to nick it they will likely arrive with jaming gear that will defeat the GPS and/or GSM signal anyway.
Only had to use the tracking feature once - when I forgot where I parked in Biarritz. Thankfully.
Oh and welcome.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If someone is going to try to nick it they will likely arrive with jaming gear that will defeat the GPS and/or GSM signal anyway.

An asset tracker will overcome that problem, my AT50 tracker wakes up ever 3 hour, takes less than a second to ping it's position, then goes back to sleep sending out no GPS or GSM signal for the next 3 hours, unless I tell it to stay awake and send it's position ever 10 minutes if our van has been taken.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
An asset tracker will overcome that problem, my AT50 tracker wakes up ever 3 hour, takes less than a second to ping it's position, then goes back to sleep sending out no GPS or GSM signal for the next 3 hours, unless I tell it to stay awake and send it's position ever 10 minutes if our van has been taken.
Can you call the number to wake it up to get a position? If so then it’s connected to a mobile network and sending out a gsm signal.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Can you call the number to wake it up to get a position? If so then it’s connected to a mobile network and sending out a gsm signal.
I can ping it a command which it will pick up the next time it wakes up to now send it's position ever 10 minutes, but on the ever tenth minutes will act as it does on the 3 hour setting, wake up ping it's position, then goes back to sleep within a fraction of a second. It's only in that fraction of a second that it connects to a network which makes it very difficult to locate where the tracker is hidden away.
I also have a normal type tracker fitted which operates in the normal way which is there as much as a sacrificial device to be found if potential thief's are using a tracker sniffer.

Here is it sending it's position at 3 hour intervals, but obviously I'm not going to show you the location it sends me.

1612221622421.png

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Do you need a SIM card and phone contract for the AT50 or is it a one off cost price only.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Do you need a SIM card and phone contract for the AT50 or is it a one off cost price only.
This is the unit and the company I have used for years for the trackers in all our vehicles. The link will give you more details and options for it.

https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/at50-asset-tracker

I wanted a position update ever 3 hour which was going to reduce the battery life and at £20 a pop for a new battery, so on mine I removed the battery have it power from a small psu

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
ive had a look and I like the idea of the unit.
I have a few queries perhaps you could answer for me. I can see a service option of 12/24/36/ months. What exactly is that payment for. If you elect the 12 month option am I right in thinking you renew at £60 annually. Is the unit simple to operate. What sort of psu did you use. I assume that if its powered like that then you can’t conceal the unit to avoid it being found.
Thanks

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
ive had a look and I like the idea of the unit.
I have a few queries perhaps you could answer for me. I can see a service option of 12/24/36/ months. What exactly is that payment for. If you elect the 12 month option am I right in thinking you renew at £60 annually. Is the unit simple to operate. What sort of psu did you use. I assume that if its powered like that then you can’t conceal the unit to avoid it being found.
Thanks
The service option is for the period they provide the sim for and automatically top it as when require on your behalf and the cost of the credit for each top up.

"If you elect the 12 month option am I right in thinking you renew at £60 annually." Yes

You fit and forget as all is the controlled and reported back to your web browser or your smart phone/tablet from anywhere in the world that you can access the internet.

I use a small psu that is compatible with the voltage of the battery that was fitted in the unit. Both the psu and tracker are hidden in our van where you would have to remove a lot of fixed paneling and even then it would not be obvious as to what it was as it has no labelling or flashing LED's. As it is unlikely that a tracker sniffer would show it location, then why would anybody dig around try to find something they don't know is there ?

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Thankyou for all that. I’m liking it more and more. Two final queries before I order.
Can you set up a geofence so that it alerts you if it wakes up and finds you out of the selected area.
Secondly, can you alter the no of pings per day via the app. I know they set it up for you initially but as I’m home all day at the moment I wouldn’t need it pinging too often. Do you have to pay to alter the frequency.
Thankyou

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thankyou for all that. I’m liking it more and more. Two final queries before I order.
Can you set up a geofence so that it alerts you if it wakes up and finds you out of the selected area.
Secondly, can you alter the no of pings per day via the app. I know they set it up for you initially but as I’m home all day at the moment I wouldn’t need it pinging too often.
Thankyou
You can setup several geofences via the tracker app interface and switch them on and off as you require them or not and alerts are also setup via the interface to text your mobile.
Remember that it will only send an alert when it pings the next time it wakes up and is out of the geofence, not at the point that your vehicle actually moves as the tracker will likely be asleep between pings.
Yes, you can adjust the ping intervals via the app.

The guys are very approachable at Rewire Security and will talk you through anything you are unsure of.

Here are some tutorials for the tracker app on setting up your preferences and using the reporting.

And here's a link with more detail for setting up and using the geofences in the app.

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Thanks for all your help. Going to order it this week.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Amazon product ASIN B07HXQNFZH
To be honest if it is not a condition of insurance that you have a monitored system, then something like this is as good as anything else and no annual fee. Vehicle movement, history, Geofence pretty much everything using a PAYG SIM

It can be jammed as easily as anything else after all!

Dec 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter Self Conv
I have no experience of this product, but have a a search for Automatrics vehicle tracker on YouTube.

They make videos of their 'finds' which are strangely entertaining and definitely made me want to install one.

All the thieves know how to block gps signals, but the Automatrics system uses radio frequency finding as well so seems to have a really high success rate, and they also do all the police liaison for you to get it back.

I'm so impressed by the you tube vids that I'm close to buying one for both our vehicles, so any fist hand experience would be good to hear.

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
personally I’d prefer to stop them stealing it in the first place. That’s why I’m proposing to fit a proven alarm system. (Plug for Strikeback/growler) The tracker is purely a back up and hopefully will never be needed,.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Amazon product ASIN B07HXQNFZH
To be honest if it is not a condition of insurance that you have a monitored system, then something like this is as good as anything else and no annual fee. Vehicle movement, history, Geofence pretty much everything using a PAYG SIM

It can be jammed as easily as anything else after all!
shame its only 2G - i would have considered this and for the price i might still add this to my 'armoury' of devices. i like the idea of it being asleep until i send it a text on the assumption that whilst it is asleep it isnt transmitting and isnt 'discoverable' ...????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back