Bella1969

Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hey everyone,

A question to those of you travelling with furry companions, I assume much the same as in a car 🤔 but just to clarify really, do dogs need to be harnessed in if they are going to be travelling with you, as I am going to have to think about anchorage points as know they wouldn't be safe in a crate.... any advice I would be grateful of, many thanks in advance 😊

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
You don’t say if you’re travelling solo. I do and prefer to have the dog harnessed on the front seat so that I can see her. I would find it very distracting if I wasn’t aware of what she is doing. The harness attaches to a dedicated strap that goes round the head rest. Most systems want to attach the harness using the seat belt but I found that she can twist round and get in a state. With the head rest system she can sit or lie down but remains central. Obviously none of this applies if there is more than one of you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bella1969

Bella1969

Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
You don’t say if you’re travelling solo. I do and prefer to have the dog harnessed on the front seat so that I can see her. I would find it very distracting if I wasn’t aware of what she is doing. The harness attaches to a dedicated strap that goes round the head rest. Most systems want to attach the harness using the seat belt but I found that she can twist round and get in a state. With the head rest system she can sit or lie down but remains central. Obviously none of this applies if there is more than one of you!
Thank you but yes I will be solo but my problem is I have 2 dogs and one quite elderly so just likes to lie down on the floor hence my problem really I would don't seem to have many options other than have one crate secured in which will be a pain but needs must their safety first👍

Upvote 0

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We have our 2 in a crate, but the can see us etc. either way they need to be secured in some way, for your own safety and others in case they get in your way when driving.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Bella1969

Bella1969

Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
We have our 2 in a crate, but the can see us etc. either way they need to be secured in some way, for your own safety and others in case they get in your way when driving.
Thank you do you have the crate anchored? I don't know what the ruling is 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
We have our Labradoodle in a harness which is clipped into rear seat belt. There is enough lead to let him get water and get halfway between the front seats. This is where he lays while travelling

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You could find out where your older dog will prefer to lie and then get an anchor d-ring fitted so you can clip his harness on. Then maybe your other dog on front seat with one of the headrest restraints mentioned above.
We are having difficulty our pooch who is now scared of the back and wants to be upfront but not on floor

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
We have a rear lounge with sliding door,
Which we leave in open position then put up a baby gate up, dog can’t distract us driving and we can see her and she lays down quite happily.
But in real accident she would probably crash through gate in truth if she was standing at the time. So not ideal really

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Unless you need a crate for training purposes I wouldn't use one for adult dogs for travelling. It's a bulky item and if you are fulltiming you will need all the space and payload for other things. My dog (Border Collie) travels at floor level in a harness that clips into a rear seatbelt socket.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
our Old girl lies on the floor between the passenger seats. Harness looped around the bottom of the seatbelt “arm”. You could have another in the passenger footwell, or on the seat, with a plug in harness to the same seatbelt socket.
can’t beat traveling with the hound. Enjoy your travels.

Cush

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My 2 Jacks love it in the crate and if it’s left on the floor at home they are straight in it.
They seem to relax more and just sleep when in it.
1681485793395.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
We are travelling through France and Spain with 2 dogs. We attach their harnesses via an extension lead to the passengers seat belt fastening buckle arm . We have their bed in between the 2 front seats and they both lay on there for the duration of the journey. One dog is 9 years old, the other is 3.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Mine decides where he is going - passenger seat / floor between the seats / by the hab door - sometimes tethered to table post to allow enough slack to wander. I have a wide angle internal mirror to keep an on him.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We have a rear lounge with sliding door,
Which we leave in open position then put up a baby gate up, dog can’t distract us driving and we can see her and she lays down quite happily.
But in real accident she would probably crash through gate in truth if she was standing at the time. So not ideal really
Read this and thought it was a whoosh bang 🤣

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
My two travel untethered, but by their own choice in the passenger foot well and between the seats. both laying up tight against the bottom of the scuttle, so there would be no movement even in a severe stop. Not particularly comfortable for the passenger, but the dogs comfy. Very occasionally the one between the seats will drift towards the pedals, but it's simple for one of us to move her back.
I've always been nervous about how to fit a harness to a dog, having seen the damage a seat belt can do.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It is an offence to drive with animals unrestrained so not prevented from distracting the driver.

I had three till last year, now just two dogs. I have clipped their harnesses to the seatbelts and since then fitted a couple of anchor points through the floor. Even a small dog would potentially break your neck if it went airborne in a collision. Also have an evacuation plan in case you break down. I still recall the tragic loss of life a couple of years ago when a van returning from a dog show broke down and was hit by a lorry. Dogs and cages scattered across the motorway and loose dogs hit by cars. An absolute bloodbath, that gives nightmares.

A dog tethered to an anchor point that allows access to a bed is all that most need. But never tether to the furniture as this will just disintegrate quickly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bella1969

Bella1969

Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
It is an offence to drive with animals unrestrained so not prevented from distracting the driver.

I had three till last year, now just two dogs. I have clipped their harnesses to the seatbelts and since then fitted a couple of anchor points through the floor. Even a small dog would potentially break your neck if it went airborne in a collision. Also have an evacuation plan in case you break down. I still recall the tragic loss of life a couple of years ago when a van returning from a dog show broke down and was hit by a lorry. Dogs and cages scattered across the motorway and loose dogs hit by cars. An absolute bloodbath, that gives nightmares.

A dog tethered to an anchor point that allows access to a bed is all that most need. But never tether to the furniture as this will just disintegrate quickly
I seem to have opened a can of worms here sorry everyone 😐 I genuinely didn't mean to upset anyone I just realise I needed some way of securing both dogs just curious what everyone else does, I've never had to restrain my chaps as they have always had a huge boot with dog guard....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bella1969

Bella1969

Free Member
Apr 9, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
My two travel untethered, but by their own choice in the passenger foot well and between the seats. both laying up tight against the bottom of the scuttle, so there would be no movement even in a severe stop. Not particularly comfortable for the passenger, but the dogs comfy. Very occasionally the one between the seats will drift towards the pedals, but it's simple for one of us to move her back.
I've always been nervous about how to fit a harness to a dog, having seen the damage a seat belt can do.
Thank you for your reply but I do need to harness or crate my chaps was just interested to know how everyone else goes about and which works best 👌

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I seem to have opened a can of worms here sorry everyone 😐 I genuinely didn't mean to upset anyone I just realise I needed some way of securing both dogs just curious what everyone else does, I've never had to restrain my chaps as they have always had a huge boot with dog guard....
Hi, you have not caused any upset, but I am a vociferous voice for dog welfare. I worked in dog rescue for years and still provide assistance where I can. There are a few on this site who have zero regard for their legal duties and think it laughable. You asked an innocent question, and thankyou for that, as it gives a chance to help educate the few

Sorry to bring up the tragedy that I did, but if that loss of life helps to illustrate the issue and maybe you never know, saves a life

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you for your reply but I do need to harness or crate my chaps was just interested to know how everyone else goes about and which works best 👌
i think that you know the dogs and how they would best cope with the choices you have. i.e. harness or crates. again it will depend not only on the individual dog but also on how long you intend each part of your journey to be.
personally we dont use a crate and use a longish tether to a body harness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My views too. I have 3 - two travel on the floor between the seats with the other either on the side bench behind me or in front of the passenger. I've always believed the closer to the front the better as its safer for them and us if violent braking is required. No harness or cage will save them in a high speed collision. I have never been distracted by them moving around.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

I was trying to make the point that in any accident my dogs wouldn't move, which in my mind is safer than suddenly being jerked to a halt by a harness. As for distracting the driver, when they move voluntarily it's so slowly it is easily controlled at a convenient time.
In terms of staying legal, I would be interested in a discussion as to the best and safest way to attach a harness to a dog. Believe it or not I've seen a restraining strap attache to a dogs collar

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

When was the law changed?

My understanding is no restraint has to be used but if you have a collision and they attribute it or partly to it being caused by an unrestrained animal you could be in trouble.

Happy to be shown otherwise.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
When we go for short trips like over the beach for the day I don’t bother with the crate as it’s 10 minutes and only 30mph so not much chance of any issues.

The reason I crate mine in trips is after seeing a video of a van that crashed and fell apart there was then a dog running around on the road!!
Could not live with myself if I watched any of my 2 get run over if this ever happened 😢😢

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Our dog is free in the motorhome. He will be either behind the passenger seat, or on his bed. No distractions for us.

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
We also have a rear lounge. We attach plastic covered metal cables with carabinas through from the anchor eyes in the boot up through the seat cushions and attached to Kurgo harnesses. The have enough room to lay either on the floor or seats and sleep peacefully how ever far we travel. Cables from Amazon and harnesses from Pets at Home

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back