PET HATES (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am generally quite laid back when it comes to bad drivers but I do hate people who overtake (undertake?) on the inside on motorways. Oh, and people don't seem to like to use their indicators any more.

Paul

I hate people who don't move over to the left lane after overtaking and force me to undertake them :reel:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
You gave it all away when you used the word "roadcraft" the big1. I remember it from my first course at an HO regional driving school - oh happy days, long, long ago!

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Was not going to comment , BUT the people who hear a two-tone horn behind , slow down and STOP at a traffic island blocking everything. Fully loaded Fire Engine take a bit of stopping in that situation, and when they still sit there even getting a strong hint from behind is unforgivable. Probably never given instruction as to what to actually do in that scenario.
Reminds me of earlier in the year when I was travelling down a straight two way road in Dorset and saw an ambulance coming towards me. With just one other vehicle coming towards me I decided to slow and pull in tight to the left, bugger me if the other driver slowed on the other side and stopped very close to me leaving the ambulance to squeeze through the gap. It made no sense for the other driver to stop he had a clear road!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Drivers that stay in the outside lane of a 3 mile dual carriageway doing 40 because they will be turning right at the end of it! :mad::mad:
(And I have to say as a female - donning hard hat and Kevlar vest - it's USUALLY a female!)

I think the problem is that people pass their tests without needing to study the highway code, as we did in the early 70s, so although they might know how to drive they don't know the rules of the road!

GERALDINE

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I think the problem is that people pass their tests without needing to study the highway code, as we did in the early 70s, so although they might know how to drive they don't know the rules of the road!
oh but they do, and have to do a quiz on it, on a computer. plus a hazard perception test. The problem is the driving instructors and testers have dumbed it all down to make it simple pass with a few hours coaching. Then they are driven round the same roads used for the test to familiarise them. You cant really call it learning to drive these days, its learning to pass a test. very sad really when you think about it as it makes the roads more dangerous for everyone and pushes up insurance costs

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I hate people who don't move over to the left lane after overtaking and force me to undertake them :reel:

Actually, after a change in the laws in the UK under the ( I think ) 2002 road traffic act updates and amendments the undertaking bit was dropped.
I still have no idea if this was deliberate or by accident but it def. no longer stands..
In my line of work ( as was ) I have met and had to deal with an awful lot of our lads in blue, and while some know about the change an awful lot have been unaware of it.. and a fair few have come back to me with a nod and a thanks for the info some time later.

I would NOT advocate undertaking in any circumstances except the usually recognized times, but it is ( on its own ) not an offence
Of course, there is still the matter of dangerous driving which carries a maximum tariff of 2 years in prison and an unlimited fine if your maneuver is deemed dangerous..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Team Lycra Cyclists .. bane of my life..

All that exercise seems to make them very fertile, there's millions of the **&&^%$s now.

Add in the brain dead drivers who don't know you are allowed to cross double line, if safe, to pass a slow moving obstruction.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
1. Knobheads who deliberately sit astride a dual carriageway's white lines hundreds of yards ahead of cones that are blocking one of the lanes. Why? To stop you driving down to the cones and 'pushing in' of course. In this country we queue in single file at least half a mile short of the obstruction and leave the other lane completely empty. Never mind that merging alternately at the cones is a) recommended in the Highway Code and b) a quicker way for everyone to drive through the coned area.

2. Cyclists who ride side by side down narrow country lanes when single file would be a lot safer for everyone.

3. Pretty much anyone round our way in a BMW, Audi or VW Golf (the nursery car of choice for the aspiring BMW/Audi driver).

4. Chelsea tractor drivers taking little Tarquin and Africa quarter of a mile from home to school and driving like they're part of an action scene in Homeland.

5. Anyone incapable of reversing into their drive when it opens onto a busy road. How do they leave home each morning? By blindly reversing into the aforementioned busy road.

6. Incompetents who can't park straight in a simple sodding supermarket parking bay (see 4 above).

7. Those who feel they have to park right next to my MH at the supermarket when I've deliberately parked in an empty area. Of course I don't need to open the side doors do I?

8. T junction chancers who think they'll slip out in front of that oncoming MH because he's bound to be driving at only 40mph (see 3 above).

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Cyclists who sidle right up the near side narrowly missing my mirror when I've stopped at traffic lights

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Lane closure 1 mile ahead roadworks.

Lane closure 1/2 mile ahead roadworks.

Lane closure 800 yds.

Lane closure 600 yds.

Lane closure 400 yds.

Lane closure 200 yds.

And the blind (or more like arrogant) w@nkers are still passing in the closed off lane as they get to the cones then trying to force you to give way to them :censored:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
And the blind (or more like arrogant) w@nkers are still passing in the closed off lane as they get to the cones then trying to force you to give way to them :censored:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/st...ou-go-with-the-flow-at-traffic-cones-1.607853

One of the few pieces of UK research was carried out by Dr Guy Walker, of Heriot Watt University. His study, published this summer, suggests traffic jams are 20% worse because British drivers are too polite. He said, “My research found that the majority of drivers, when confronted with roadworks ahead, quickly move into the nearside lane as early as possible rather than merge at the forefront of the queue. No one wants to be seen by fellow drivers as the type of person who pushes in. This behaviour however leads to the loss of a further lane of capacity, that’s in addition to the ones already closed because of roadworks.”

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/st...ou-go-with-the-flow-at-traffic-cones-1.607853

One of the few pieces of UK research was carried out by Dr Guy Walker, of Heriot Watt University. His study, published this summer, suggests traffic jams are 20% worse because British drivers are too polite. He said, “My research found that the majority of drivers, when confronted with roadworks ahead, quickly move into the nearside lane as early as possible rather than merge at the forefront of the queue. No one wants to be seen by fellow drivers as the type of person who pushes in. This behaviour however leads to the loss of a further lane of capacity, that’s in addition to the ones already closed because of roadworks.”

I think that you know the ones I am on about (y), you are reaching the cones slowing down letting (well me anyway) one go in front of you traffic behind is doing the same, yet you still get the tosser that wants to get an extra 20 yds undertaking everyone, then forcing themselves across into your lane. :mad:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I think that you know the ones I am on about (y), you are reaching the cones slowing down letting (well me anyway) one go in front of you traffic behind is doing the same, yet you still get the tosser that wants to get an extra 20 yds undertaking everyone, then forcing themselves across into your lane. :mad:

Fair comment - merging alternately should mean just that.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Middle lane hoggers
Tail-gaters.
Drivers that straddle cycle lanes.
Drivers who think that they own the road.
Drivers who don't give cyclists enough space when passing
and drivers thst don't know how to use indicators.

Oh yes, twats with dark tinted windows, tits with loud music blasting away and morons that cross the road without looking.

Just a few that come to mind.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Round our way it seems common practice when a queue of traffic is forming to turn left at roundabouts some drivers use the RH lane and do a full rotation of the roundabout, this really bugs me and causes another queue to the RH lane thanks to congestion at the roundabout. Ok one or two of these drivers may have a good reason to 'Jump the queue' but most are just inconsiderate plonkers. The guilty include taxis, most Audi drivers and every van driver!

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Hey, I don't wish to typecast but maybe if we all drove company vans; never wear a seatbelts; eat whilst driving at 90mph using only the outside lane; take pleasure in cutting other motorists up; listen to the radio on full blast; jump red lights; push into queues indiscriminately; Use a mobile phone permanently; drive on the bumper of the vehicle in front; and somehow avoid every speed camera known to man then at least we would all be equal plonkers. As I said, I don't wish to typecast :giggler::winky:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Whatever happened to breaking distances!! Not a ' cat in hells' chance Of attempting to abide by the rules on the M6, any attempt would have you going backwards!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I am generally quite laid back when it comes to bad drivers but I do hate people who overtake (undertake?) on the inside on motorways. Oh, and people don't seem to like to use their indicators any more.

Paul

And how is this possible?

Because some prat is hogging the middle lane when they should be on the inside lane!

I realise its illegal in the UK but undertaking is legal elsewhere in the world e.g. Canada and is not a problem. UK standards of driving seem to be the pits compared to Canada and Europe nowadays!

Before motorways you learnt how to overtake on A roads - out and in quick - so on motorways why do people pull out in front of you about a quarter of a mile before they reach what they are going to overtake and don't get back in a similar distance!

And vehicles joining from a slip road not only not matching the speed of those already on the dual carriageway or motorway when the traffic is free flowing but entering at 30mph when the inside lane is travelling at between 50 to 60mph!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Due to the shear volume of traffic the Highways Agency are increasing the number of lanes before and after roundabouts to try and reduce congestion.

This can be negated by the prats who straddle the lanes to stop being overtaken thus stopping the road being used as intended.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Team Lycra Cyclists .. bane of my life..

Even ones like this? >>>>
b2c488ae1cc2978fb8c4136e2c284b55.jpg

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think indicators on cars must be very expensive to run as people don't like using them! Either that or they can't be bothered to flick a finger at a stalk, lazy gits!
The other one is people waiting, at a junction, to come out, loadsa room so you 'flash' them and they still won't move so you slow down-& slow down and they still sit there! I've stopped doing it now!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Pet Hates so not confined to motoring then?

People that keep saying "you know, you know", no I don't know, that's why I'm asking!

Heard woman on TV just now who gives 110%, you cannot give more than 100% ?

Interviewers that let a politician waffle and fail to insist he/she answers the question they were asked.

Know alls........................................:reel:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Another one you can all relate to is the motorist in the LH lane approaching the vehicle in front at a faster speed, you know they are going to want to pull out but they leave it to the last second then start to pull out at the same time as stricking the indicator, then often don't pull back in until they have passed that lorry 2 miles ahead!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Pet Hates so not confined to motoring then?

People that keep saying "you know, you know", no I don't know, that's why I'm asking!

Heard woman on TV just now who gives 110%, you cannot give more than 100% ?

Interviewers that let a politician waffle and fail to insist he/she answers the question they were asked.

Know alls........................................

Being pedantic, you can give more than 100% - if I gave 110% of the value of my salary as a gift, I'd be giving all of my salary plus 10% more from my savings - wouldn't I?

However, I could not give 110% of my effort, strength or anything else that doesn't allow reserves to be used.

Last edited:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
On the subject of driving, there are more and more motorways now where the hard shoulder is used as an extra lane. This means that if you break down on the M25 for example, maybe at night with the rain lashing down, you will have to drive (if you can) for up to 1.5 miles before you reach a refuge.

I have no idea how the emergency services are supposed to reach an incident if all lanes are blocked with traffic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27019957

Paul

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Being pedantic, you can give more than 100% - if I gave 110% of the value of my salary as a gift, I'd be giving all of my salary plus 10% more from my savings - wouldn't I?

However, I could not give 110% of my effort, strength or anything else that doesn't allow reserves to be used.
My point was her effort, if she has increased her effort by 10% then she was not giving 100% in the first place.
But we should beware my last pet hate....................:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back