Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Not sure this is really the place but it doesn’t come under any other forum!
We are near the sea, Suffolk. The other day, whilst out walking we met a very thin cat, beautiful cat big, ginger tom, but painfully thin, Belsen case thin!
I tried to ring Cats Protection but emailed them, got a response straight away telling me they will respond in 3-5 days. No good at all in this case.
I then rang RSPCA got a recording giving me options and ended up with a recorded message telling me that most cats out & about have homes, I shouldn’t feed them and/or they are feral!!!
All this poor cat wanted was warmth, food and meds! I didn’t think he would last a lot longer!
Facebook came to the rescue and he was picked up next morning (I couldn’t do anything except give him some food as we are not cat orientated, got a feisty dog, not even a box to put the cat in)
Unfortunately cat ( owner was found) Nemo died yesterday, he had just gone too far to come back.
Several things get me.....why didn’t someone nab him earlier-he was very friendly-and how do you get RSPCA to do their job???

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure this is really the place but it doesn’t come under any other forum!
We are near the sea, Suffolk. The other day, whilst out walking we met a very thin cat, beautiful cat big, ginger tom, but painfully thin, Belsen case thin!
I tried to ring Cats Protection but emailed them, got a response straight away telling me they will respond in 3-5 days. No good at all in this case.
I then rang RSPCA got a recording giving me options and ended up with a recorded message telling me that most cats out & about have homes, I shouldn’t feed them and/or they are feral!!!
All this poor cat wanted was warmth, food and meds! I didn’t think he would last a lot longer!
Facebook came to the rescue and he was picked up next morning (I couldn’t do anything except give him some food as we are not cat orientated, got a feisty dog, not even a box to put the cat in)
Unfortunately cat ( owner was found) Nemo died yesterday, he had just gone too far to come back.
Several things get me.....why didn’t someone nab him earlier-he was very friendly-and how do you get RSPCA to do their job???
Sad to hear Nemo didn’t make it , but lovely to see you tried your very best to help and he went back to his family for his final hours.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It could have been a chronic health condition that caused the thinness, rather than lack of food. Kidney disease is common in cats and causes alarming weight loss.
Don’t beat yourself up—- you cared enough to try. Animal charities do tend to be a bit hit and miss on when they help, though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We had a badly injured fox in our back garden once and rang the RSPCA. Their response was absolutely pathetic, no interest at all. Establish a feeding routine for a couple of weeks so you can predict when it's in your garden and we will try to send someone round if we can they said. It's badly injured I said, we can't wait two weeks. Oh sorry they said, nothing we can do to help then. I rang a local animal rescue organisation who had someone round within the hour, set a cage trap and showed real interest. We caught the fox but they said it's injuries were bad and although they would try to treat him the prospects weren't great. I asked them not to let me know the final outcome, but made a good donation to them which the RSPCA could have had if they had given a toss.

OP
OP
Shrimp

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It could have been a chronic health condition that caused the thinness, rather than lack of food. Kidney disease is common in cats and causes alarming weight loss.
Don’t beat yourself up—- you cared enough to try. Animal charities do tend to be a bit hit and miss on when they help, though.

Apparently Nemo had been missing for over a year, don’t know how or why, but he appeared to be heading in direction of home!
Very sad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back