Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Same here, as everyone had posted. We Don't use Caxton fx for fuel, just forgetting cash out of ATM. BOTH visa and Mastercard work in unmanned stations.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
My Caxton card used to be Mastercard when we lived in France and I used it everywhere, for some reason it changed (or I changed it) to Visa I wonder if that is something to do with the problem?

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Just looked at post office cc, it has to be platinum to get fee free foreign purchase use, the exchange rate is set by mastercard but I can't see what that is, PO link doesn't work, as their exchange rates are always poor I wonder if anyone knows how to check it? (I have rung post office and got fed up with being on hold 15 mins in)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
My Caxton card used to be Mastercard when we lived in France and I used it everywhere, for some reason it changed (or I changed it) to Visa I wonder if that is something to do with the problem?

My Caxton card has changed the other way. I had several CaxtonVisa cards for different currencies, Euro, Dollar and Global. I now have one card, a Mastercard, that can be loaded with about 8 different currencies on the same card

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
The reason why cash cards are declined at pumps is that when using most pumps, except in Spain, you are not entering a specific amount but the card only has a specific amount on it (possibly less than you spend at the pump) whereas credit cards are..... well, credit cards.
If you present your cash card at the kiosk it will be accepted if there is enough cash on it.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Just looked at post office cc, it has to be platinum to get fee free foreign purchase use, the exchange rate is set by mastercard but I can't see what that is, PO link doesn't work, as their exchange rates are always poor I wonder if anyone knows how to check it? (I have rung post office and got fed up with being on hold 15 mins in)

I think it's just the standard master card business exchange rate that they use - it's not connected to the PO currency exchange rates.

If you're going to get one go through quidco and you get £25 cashback just for getting it.

You can also use it to pay for currency online from the post office without any fees (better exchange rate than instore) and again if you go through quidco you get £3 cashback.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don't press the "do you require a receipt" button till after you've got the fuel, took me ages to get fuel at one fuel station in France recently, also noticed on one occasion certain supermarket pumps only take their own loyalty card which was none to clear at the time!

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The PO credit card is provided by The Bank of Ireland.
No charges for use abroad and no transaction fees either. Mine is set so they take whatever the balance so no need to worry about paying statement.
The direct number to them is 0845 607 6500

0800 169 2000

8am-10pm, Mon-Fri
8am-6pm, Sat
10am-5pm, Sun

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Several cards boast that they don't take transactions fees, but instead use bloody awful exchange rates - I reckon that practice should be made illegal. I get a better deal on my Amex card which has a fee than I do with my other cards which say they don't.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Caxton appear to be changing all their cards over to Mastercard from Visa and as I understand it the reason they don't work at auto pumps and tolls is that these machines have no facility to put in your PIN numbers which Caxton insist on.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
the reason they don't work at auto pumps and tolls is that these machines have no facility to put in your PIN numbers which Caxton insist on.
Unlikely - all the auto pumps we used in France asked for our PIN AFAIK. I think it is more to do with the fact that there is no way to limit the amount of fuel to the amount you have left on the card.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Never had any problem with our visa debit cards !! use my own when going to Spain and then use the wives on the return trip.
However it did refuse my visa credit card once so never tried it again !!

Barts

Free Member
May 5, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Very few automatic pumps take Caxton fx cards our tesco credit card seems okay

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
To the best of my knowledge only the bank knows they've authorised my card for foreign use. They don't put the details on Facebook. .

& not everyone who works for a bank is as honest as the day is long ?:sneaky:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve never been able to use the fx card for anything but atms changed this year to weswap card and it worked every where weswap.com

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Caxton appear to be changing all their cards over to Mastercard from Visa and as I understand it the reason they don't work at auto pumps and tolls is that these machines have no facility to put in your PIN numbers which Caxton insist on.
just been in france for 2 weeks and all machines wanted pin numbers

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
found Post office rate converter on thier site strangely enough, today a euro costs .713 caxton rate is .735 shame it doesn't buy fuel, it used to, we lived in France for three years and used it for veverything

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
found Post office rate converter on thier site strangely enough, today a euro costs .713 caxton rate is .735 shame it doesn't buy fuel, it used to, we lived in France for three years and used it for veverything
The more each Euro costs the worse it is for us who wants to buy them with £s. Or are you quoting the rate for buying £ with Euros?

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Using the caxton example £1 buys €1.36 and €1 buys 73.5 pence, the tourist rate on post office site is more favorable than the exchange rate offered on their credit card (by over 2%)

Will still get the Post Office credit card though, cheaper than using my visa which has poor exchange rate and a fee.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Using the caxton example £1 buys €1.36 and €1 buys 73.5 pence,.
I don't think that can be correct, because it is the same rate. Just because they sell a currency at one rate does not mean that they buy it at the same rate. There has to be a difference for them to make a profit.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
£1 buys €1.364 euro with caxton, have just spoken to them (miraculously) about closing my account and am being offered 72.3 pence for a euro, so you are right

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only place we have had problems with credit card usage has been E. Leclerc ones
Tried every type of card we had ( Visa, MasterCard, debit, credit etc etc ) and not one would work..
As mentioned elsewhere,,, we just waited for someone to come along and was willing to use their card in exchange for folding stuff :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
£1 buys €1.364 euro with caxton, have just spoken to them (miraculously) about closing my account and am being offered 72.3 pence for a euro, so you are right
That's quite a low spread compared with many.

A couple of years ago I happened to be up in London just before we were flying to the States, so decided to get my dollars from the small exchange booth in Covent Garden that is well known for offering really good rates over the counter for cash (can't remember the name). Found out why when I saw the rates they were selling the £ at to gullible tourists who were flocking there.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Post Office card on its way with £25 Quidco cashback, thanks to poster of that info. having no foreign usage charges will make a difference as we anticipate spending several hundred euros on fuel plus the same again on living costs. And yes all my other cards work in europe but charges are all around 2.75%

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The old style UK cards did not work in France but you should not have a problem with a chip and pin card as long as it is registered for a bank ie Santander, Barclay's

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Had this reply from Caxton

I have looked in to your account and can see why the card was rejected. As we advise on the website, the card should not be used in automated fuel pumps as they create an issue. They essentially set aside the maximum purchase amount at the pump, in your case it was 130 Euros earlier this year.

This then appears as a pending transaction and can take up to 20 days for the actual transaction amount to balance out against the maximum purchase. The problem being that it may set aside an amount three times your actual spend and this money cannot be touched until balanced, effectively holding back funds you have. Then when you try to use it, it will be rejected because of insufficient funds even though you do have money on the card.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Using the caxton example £1 buys €1.36 and €1 buys 73.5 pence, the tourist rate on post office site is more favorable than the exchange rate offered on their credit card (by over 2%)

Will still get the Post Office credit card though, cheaper than using my visa which has poor exchange rate and a fee.

Hi BHS - glad you went through quidco - money for nothing can't be beaten!

Out of interest you state that the tourist rate on the post office site is more favourable than the exchange rate offered on their credit card. How you have worked this out? The exchange rate on their credit card is set by mastercard and is pretty much always better than tourist exchange rates.

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

For example the mastercard exchange rate today is 1.404 whereas the best post office exchange rate is 1.376

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We may just be plain dim but what is it with paying for fuel at French petrol stations. ?There are very few with a manned kiosk where English cards and cash are taken but fuel prices are higher. The 24 hour automated machines apparently only take locally registered cards so our English ones don't work . Tried pre loaded , credit and debit cards
Anyone know the answer to getting fuel easily we are constantly left searching for a manned kiosk and paying more

Just had a couple weeks driving round France and Belgium, never had a trouble paying for fuel at the unmanned stations, that was using both HSBC and Halifax debit cards.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Got the idea from Money Supermarket, I stand corrected, story of my life being bought to book by a stroppy bird!
If I hadn't hugged so many of them I wouldn't need to worry about the odd percentage point on exchange rates.

Caxton is still a good bet for cash though??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back