Parking Eye (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
cash@thats quaint ,i can live without cash 99%of the time london is already a virtually cashless society you cant use it on the buses, ticket offices for the tubes are closing down, everyone uses touch and go for refreshments papers etc

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've never paid a penny to park whilst shopping in France, often used multiple bays - come to think of it I've never paid to park at the beach, or any tourist attraction either (except for an overnight stay)

Makes you wonder how they survive over there.

"well fair play, we were over the line a bit" - that is the attitude we have accepted and that is why these rules have been allowed to creep into this country.

Its not "alright" its unreasonable profiteering and we just accept it.
Nor have I. All the supermarkets, station car parks foc, Even at Futurescope,Poitiers, the station & Aldi's next to it are foc.

Here in Spain you are allowed 30 minutes after ticket expiry before a fines is applied.

tell them they should always measure the size of the bays. There are legal sizes. I used to struggle in the Uk for length with my car . Here in Spain ,everyone struggles with length of bays. I'm always, like 50%of others, 2' over.:D
By that same logic (i.e. it is unreasonable to charge for someone using more than they have paid for) if apples are listed clearly as 4 for £2 it is ok to take 5?
If not then why is it reasonable to pay for one parking space and use 2? - or to pay for 2 hours and stay for 3?
Would you get in a taxi for a journey and after you paid expect him to take you another mile?

The poster who paid for 2 tickets as they were using 2 bays employed a very valid and sensible solution in my opinion.

Space is a valuable commodity - far more so in this country than most others. If you own some why wouldn't you charge for it?

Err , no. Only 10% of the UK is built upon or roads. rest is open. use it.
& no I wouldn't charge for it as I'm not a money grabber.

But did they just try it on with you? In your initial post (#12) you said that the machine wouldn't take your number so eventually you got a ticket out of it with no number on - i.e. you knew at the outset that something had gone wrong.
Had that been me I would have been looking for the shopping centre management office or security office to explain the situation and should certainly have kept the ticket in the circumstances.

If they were as tight as that on timing there would be far more people being charged. It might take a couple of minutes to find a spot in a crowded car park in extreme circumstances but how does anyone take 5 minutes to find change when they know very well that they need to have it available to pay the charge?
lol It wouldn't actually occur to me that I would have to pay to park.

Ever wondered why all car parks don't work like airports , where you get a ticket on the way in then simply pay for how long you have been there on the way out, too easy they couldn't fine you ridiculous amounts then.
No need for cameras , wardens or anything else just fair parking fees.
Heathrow I parked twice dropping of for at least 20 minutes in the MH free of charge.
I must be the only person on here who keeps all receipts for at least 3 months. I have a box in a draw which I drop them. It has saved me once or twice for other things than parking. My accountant hammered this into me when I first started my business in 98. I found it too much hassle to separate business and personal ones out so just collected everything including parking tickets, bus tickets, train tickets and cab receipts.

It is their land and their rules. If they make it onerous enough to park I simply won't spend any money with them.

No i alwya used to & I'd collect all the ones the reps would be binning in the lay by's:LOL: all tax deductable.
Yes I'm still old fashioned. I park outside where I want to shop. If I can't I take me money elsewhere.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The PayByPhone app for parking has got me out of trouble quite a few times. I use that more often than cash now.
Never heard of it, will look into that thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If people parked properly, rather than trying to get something for nothing, then there would be nobody for Parking Eye to "get" would there? As you have demonstrated yourself, in your earlier post, when one is wrongly charged then that charge will be cancelled.
The volunteers who overstay or park to the detriment of the rest of us receive no sympathy from me.

You don't work for parking Eye do you?

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
The PayByPhone app for parking has got me out of trouble quite a few times. I use that more often than cash now.
Yes ,I should think so . With a foreign mobile . Nothing unhinges me more than the sign on a parking meter telling me when it's not working " pay with your mobile " Wtf ! No fix the****ing meter lazy scum. As if I'm going to use a foreign mobile to pay some scum Itinerant's.

cash@thats quaint ,i can live without cash 99%of the time london is already a virtually cashless society you cant use it on the buses, ticket offices for the tubes are closing down, everyone uses touch and go for refreshments papers etc
Cash is king. Why would you use a bus ? Gave that up the day I passed my test. There's nowhere I wish to go that would get me on public transport.:D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Part of the reason why I will NEVER enter inside the "Charge zone " again in my lifetime!

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I quite agree that something had to be done otherwise people would take the **ss & park anywhere & everywhere whilst travelling to work. What happened , as always in the UK, is that instead of addressing the actual problem & cracking down on the culprits ,it is far easier to inconvenience all & everybody whilst charging ridiculous amounts of money for the politicians, mates businesses to collect.
Part of the reason why I will NEVER enter inside the "Charge zone " again in my lifetime!

Pete
Play them at there own game & annoy them by going in after 6pm, when it is foc.:LOL:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I'm afraid I don't know Marlborough (incidentally I thought Safeway stores had all disappeared) but the name of the car park owner should be on the tariff board.

@GJH Is it a mandatory (by law) requirement that the car park owner should be stated on the tariff board and if not can we ignore what is stated on the board?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Not sure what this case changes. The guy didn't break the law, the ruling was a civil one. People have long ignored these charges misrepresented as pseudo fines on the gamble that it is not cost effective for Parking Eye to bring a civil action for payment of an unpaid invoice. In fact they didn't in this case the guy did.

What has changed?

Dick

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A couple of weeks ago my wife parked our car in the Priory Shopping centre in Worksop.

She entered the correct registration number for the car, paid by cash for sufficient time that she expected to be there and she left within the time she had paid for.

Last Friday we received a Parking Charge notice for £100 - reduced to £60 if pay within 14 days.

The letter states
- 'By either not purchasing the appropriate parking time or by remaining at the car park for longer than permitted, in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage (?), the Parking Charge is now payable to ParkingEye Ltd (as the Creditor)'

The parking ticket receipt she'd paid for has long ago been thrown away, why would you keep it when you thought you'd paid correctly, and we can't prove one way or the other whether she was or wasn't committing any breach of the terms and conditions imposed by ParkingEye Ltd.

The likely hood of us ever parking and shopping again in Worksop is now zero, we live about 20 miles away, but from now on we will be very wary about parking in any ParkingEye car park and will keep receipts at all privately owned car parks for at least a month before disposing of them.
If they want to charge you what is the evidence that they have to use against you? A camera does not know what the ticket was and a person walking around has not got evidence without the ticket so it is 50/50 and they cannot do it.
It is a bit like the littering with a piece of food, dropped which is eaten straight away by birds, Where is the evidence please, if a council takes you to court you can demand that the evidence for the CRIMINAL case is produced under the Police and criminal evidence Act 1984.
No evidence produced then no littering has been proved. regardless of what the attendant says. Same would apply.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not true..
The solicitors who took the case on did it on a no win no fee arrangement..
It was all on our local news this evening
I meant THEIR CHARGES AND COSTS not his. They are nearly always given cost and when a company like that is involved there will be very dear Barrister representation.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I was taken to St Thomas's hospital in London By ambulance I was discharged a week later, with no real way of paying anything other than a £10 note. I could not get a train, too much money, so I tried to get a bus to Victoria from London bridge. I got thrown off that as I didn't have a oyster card or a pre paid ticket. I was expecting to pay on board, no way, GET OFF THE BUS was the reply. I did not know my OAP bus pass would work in London. luckily I got a bus from Victoria Home within the £10. but as you say cashless society, ie not enough money. would have been a bit rough coming home in pygamas though luckily had a pair of trousers and shoes.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I was taken to St Thomas's hospital in London By ambulance I was discharged a week later, with no real way of paying anything other than a £10 note. I could not get a train, too much money, so I tried to get a bus to Victoria from London bridge. I got thrown off that as I didn't have a oyster card or a pre paid ticket. I was expecting to pay on board, no way, GET OFF THE BUS was the reply. I did not know my OAP bus pass would work in London. luckily I got a bus from Victoria Home within the £10. but as you say cashless society, ie not enough money. would have been a bit rough coming home in pygamas though luckily had a pair of trousers and shoes.

That sucks :( I didn't know cash was no longer valid on London transport... How do foreigners or visitors handle it?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As I Said, who the Hell wants to go to such a rat infested Hole anyway?. Nothing there to interest me in any way. I had my absolute fill, of trying to make deliveries in last few years of my working life, the (warden`s / Hitlers) just make life un bearable for honest truck drivers!. We would arrive and have to sit and watch the rat`s playing in the gutters in some grotty back street until the shop owners decided to arrive or keep moving on (and using up valuable Tacho time) to avoid being slapped with a "ticket", by "RED KEN`s SS"!. ( I suppose it`s now Boris` SS?)

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You don't work for parking Eye do you?

Pete
Silly question.
@GJH Is it a mandatory (by law) requirement that the car park owner should be stated on the tariff board and if not can we ignore what is stated on the board?
I don't know if it is a legal requirement but it is good practice.
I would never ignore what is said on a board. Indeed, for most of the time my web site has been going it has included advice that everyone should check the terms before parking and ensure that they park in accordance with the terms.
Most places as I understand it judge being within a parking bay based on the wheels being within the lines. An overhang is not judged as being a problem unless you poke it into traffic to cause an obstruction.
Not necessarily. It depends on the terms or parking order. Some places require that the wheels be within the lines and some that the whole vehicle is within the lines. If in doubt, check.
Not sure what this case changes. The guy didn't break the law, the ruling was a civil one. People have long ignored these charges misrepresented as pseudo fines on the gamble that it is not cost effective for Parking Eye to bring a civil action for payment of an unpaid invoice. In fact they didn't in this case the guy did.

What has changed?

Dick
Beavis did not break the criminal law but he did breach a contract protected by civil law.
What has changed is that Beavis tested the civil law and, instead of accepting the decisions of lower courts against him, carried on to the highest court in the land. In so doing he clarified that Parking Eye et al were acting within the law by levying charges when the evidence shows that the contract has been breached.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ever wondered why all car parks don't work like airports , where you get a ticket on the way in then simply pay for how long you have been there on the way out, too easy they couldn't fine you ridiculous amounts then.
No need for cameras , wardens or anything else just fair parking fees.
That doesn't work for free car parks where the restrictions are only on time and parking within bays.
If they want to charge you what is the evidence that they have to use against you? A camera does not know what the ticket was and a person walking around has not got evidence without the ticket so it is 50/50 and they cannot do it.
It is a bit like the littering with a piece of food, dropped which is eaten straight away by birds, Where is the evidence please, if a council takes you to court you can demand that the evidence for the CRIMINAL case is produced under the Police and criminal evidence Act 1984.
No evidence produced then no littering has been proved. regardless of what the attendant says. Same would apply.
Where only ANPR cameras are used they take photos when the vehicle enters and leaves and compare the time to that paid for (or the maximum allowed if the car park is free).
Where an attendant is on site he will take photos of vehicles wrongly parked or parked for longer than allowed, just as local authority staff will do.
By the way, councils do not use the criminal law to prosecute parking offences. They can only administer parking themselves because it has been decriminalised.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a warning about the current state of "play" in this area. Recently I went to Humberside Airport to collect my Grandson, fresh off the Flight from Canada via Schipol. On our way in he phoned to say he was delayed due to his baggage not having made the Connection!, and he was having to put in a claim!. We parked Off site in a layby until he was cleared. When he rang back and said he was exiting the terminal. We drove round and spotting him in the bus bay, we naturally pulled in to pick him up!. A week later we get a "Fine" for waiting in a Prohibited area (We having no idea that the The BUS Bay??? was "prohibited". There is a sign about 9'' square apparently, and Double yellow lines without "loading bars" and SWMBO, who was driving, does have a "Blue Badge" in any case.) for LESS than 30 seconds!! AS shown on their OWN ticket!. £60--00 for 30 seconds!!!!!. Needles to say I wrote to Humberside Airport, advised them that under NO circumstances would I pay. So they had better prepare to go to Court!. The issue is now resolved, and the "Charge" dropped. but not before I had to get "up the ladder" to the Airport Manager!. Recently also A Guy got similarly fined for Stopping to Ask directions at "Robin Hood" (AKA Finningley, as I know it).

In this mornings Papers, Several so called "Police and crime Commissioners" (AKA "interfering busybodies"). Are proposing to keep large stretches of MOTORWAY covered by the "average speed" devices, and to impose fines for ALL transgression, above 70MPH, With not even allowance for Speedometer error. The reason this is proposed is (and confirms what we all already know) "To levy more income for the Police". So now you know it is Officially confirmed that ALL so called "Safety Camera`s" ARE Revenue collection devices!!!

Pete

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@GJH
I have been reading your responses with interest and can see the sense in most of what you say.

However, when avehicle is parked entirely within the bay, is not clear. In our case when we parked our wheels were definitely within the bay but the front bumper extended 10" or so beyond. Our rear overhang projected over the grass verge.

The notice in the car park simply stated that a charge would be made if the vehicle was not entirely within the bay. No mention of wheels or otherwise, so it appears to be as much of a grey area as paying for two bays, varying from one car park to another.

Where bays are too small for M/Hs and we are prohibited from using Coach and HGV parking perhaps we should write to the local authority concerned, each time as previous posts have suggested.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Stansted Airport allow drop off and pick up right outside the terminal doors, then a barrier where the cost is £2 for the 1st 10 minutes then £2 per minute thereafter.
To be fair, it is signposted but you have no other choice, don't get a puncture...................
Seems Calais also offers you the chance to make an international call to pay, aren't most Calais Aire users non-French? and why 2 boards alongside each other?

AIRE.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Seems Calais also offers you the chance to make an international call to pay, aren't most Calais Aire users non-French? and why 2 boards alongside each other?

Not exactly. That is the app I mentioned in post #60 & #67

As far as I can tell if you use it in the UK you should be able to use it for French car parks as well.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not necessarily. It depends on the terms or parking order. Some places require that the wheels be within the lines and some that the whole vehicle is within the lines. If in doubt, check.

I did place the caveat "most" before my post. When I say most I perhaps should have said most that I have seen. I have only come across one where it said "all of your vehicle must be entirely within the parking bay as marked by the lines." or words to that effect. I didn't stay at that car park because the bays were too small. I believe that was a council run park.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have done the same exercise as Graham and contacted every local authority and other parking providers. One that stands out in my mind stated that the vehicle must be within the marked bay. An overhang front or rear of 30cm was classed as outside of the bay.

There is no standard size bays and they vary from 1.8m x 4.5m upwards.
Most authorities now accept that if you purchase two tickets you can overhand a tandem bay. However some are strict and only one ticket can be used. The location to display the ticket/s is also disputable. One authority stated they have to be displayed side by side while another stated they had to be displayed one in each bay.

Another anomaly is the car and trailer. A ticket has to be purchased for each so two tickets purchased. The same authority will not allow a motorhome to overlap into another bay even if two tickets are purchased.

Capita controls a lot of local authority activities. Capita owns Parking Eye and also administers DVLA

The Capita Group Plc (Capita) has signed a contract with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to provide a national Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) service that includes provision (at DVLA's option) for a Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) service. The five-year contract, with an option to extend for a further two years, has an estimated value of £100 million. Capita will take responsibility for the service on 7 November 2011.

Capita will manage VED and CIE enforcement notifications and immobilise, remove, store and dispose of unclaimed vehicles through a network of 23 regional pounds. Up to 300 staff in locations across the country
will transfer from the incumbent enforcement service provider to Capita.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Not exactly. That is the app I mentioned in post #60 & #67

As far as I can tell if you use it in the UK you should be able to use it for French car parks as well.
Thanks for that but I don't have the app. I know my mobile automatically applies +44 for outgoing calls.
I assume therefore to pay at Calais I would need to call +33 174 181818 which then becomes an international call on a Pay and Go tariff :Eeek:
I wonder if anyone on here that has used the Aire recently can tell us what they did?

Last edited:

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
According to several posts on here you don't need to pay to park in France so just ignore that Calais sign! ;)

Reactions: GJH
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wonder if anyone on here that has used the Aire recently can tell us what they did?

The ParkByPhone service, in this country anyway, runs alongside the traditional pay and display machines, it doesn't replace them. There's no reason to think this would be any different anywhere else.

I'm not sure which aire that is but the last time we were at Calais Port the money was collected. There was no machine or sign.

There are two addresses mentioned on the sign in your picture and neither of them are for the Port aire so I imagine the sign is for somewhere else.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie

Nic nic
Thanks for advice. Just one question. If I were to use pay and park, I assume all the meters have different reference numbers, otherwise how would the local council know who it was them I was trying to pay and not a neighbouring authority?
Geoff

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nic nic
Thanks for advice. Just one question. If I were to use pay and park, I assume all the meters have different reference numbers, otherwise how would the local council know who it was them I was trying to pay and not a neighbouring authority?
Geoff

Each car park has a unique code number that you enter when you use the app. The code is displayed on all the parking meters in that car park and usually on signs as well.

You get a confirmation that your parking has been started. You can also extend your time without going back as long as you don't go over the maximum allowed for that car park. You can also register more than one vehicle. If you need receipts for expenses claims or anything like that you can get them by text or email and they will text you with a reminder when you are close to the end of your time if you want them to. They do charge (20p I think) for that though.

The traffic wardens carry some kind of PDA/tablet device that displays a list of vehicles in their location that have paid by some other method than buying a ticket. I wasn't sure about this the first time I used it so got the warden to demonstrate for me. It works.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH
I have been reading your responses with interest and can see the sense in most of what you say.

However, when avehicle is parked entirely within the bay, is not clear. In our case when we parked our wheels were definitely within the bay but the front bumper extended 10" or so beyond. Our rear overhang projected over the grass verge.

The notice in the car park simply stated that a charge would be made if the vehicle was not entirely within the bay. No mention of wheels or otherwise, so it appears to be as much of a grey area as paying for two bays, varying from one car park to another.

Where bays are too small for M/Hs and we are prohibited from using Coach and HGV parking perhaps we should write to the local authority concerned, each time as previous posts have suggested.
If a notice says entirely then I would assume that it means the whole vehicle, not just the wheels.
What car park owners are normally trying to do is to prevent encroachment into other areas of the car park used by other drivers. Thus, the rear of a vehicle overhanging a grass verge would be OK but overhanging a footpath would not.
Similarly, the front of a vehicle protruding past the front of the bay would cause an obstruction to other vehicles so would not be allowed.

I have tried to obtain clarity from car park owners regarding multi-bay parking and overhanging and have published results on the web site wherever possible. Perhaps that is something I need to revisit next time I contact them (local authorities especially). However, as that will require individual approaches to around 400 authorities (as against a mass mailing of the same request) it won't be done tomorrow :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back