Parental Restrictions on 3 payg datasim (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a great fan of the 3 payg datasim cards and have used them successfully for several years all over Europe with no problems whatsoever - until today.

Having to be away from home for a couple of weeks I managed to use up the data allowance on my existing card so arranged for a new one to be sent to me - good old Prime! Yesterday, as I have always done, I simply inserted the simcard in the mifi and away we went, emails, weather, google, even MHF no problem.

Until today I came to click on what you might call a questionable site i.e. not suitable for under-18's, when the browser hung up. Tried different browsers and eventually a page came up from 3 to say that the Parental Guidance was switched on and I would need to contact them to get it changed. To cut a long story short the automated system wouldn't do it and I ended up with a very nice Indian gentleman who after asking lots of questions (which in fairness sounded like the usual registration details) got me up and running. Incidentally I am pretty security conscious but was happy I was talking to the genuine article.

Once he'd finished I asked if this was a new procedure as I'd never had to do it before; to "his understanding" to prevent under-18's getting access to unsuitable internet this restriction had always been so. I explained that I had used at least 6 of these cards without this palaver - he promised to send a feedback to the relevant department.

Has anyone else come up against this? I hasten to add, before any wag gets in, that I don't make a habit of visiting over-18 sites and it was only by chance that I discovered the restriction.

I'm perfectly happy with the reasoning but have a strong dislike to anyone telling me what I can and cannot do, especially when there was no warning. It won't stop me from using 3 again, but perhaps I should have "registered" the new card with 3 when I first used it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It won't stop me from using 3 again, but perhaps I should have "registered" the new card with 3 when I first used it.
The may be the reason for it ... as pretty much anyone can buy PAYG data cards until you register they won't be able to check 'who' you are (assuming they do), so may just be playing safe.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Perhaps it also helps to identify those folk who go on that 'HUNTED' programme to be tracked down with their burner phones ...

and other less desirables (pronounced similar to the musical Les Miserables) who need to be tracked (no offense to the OP lol) who also use burner phones to run their activities ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back