Panel van conversion or small coachbuilt? (1 Viewer)

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I'm new here, and have been lurking and reading and pondering!

I live on Anglesey and so travelling to look at vehicles isn't easy as most are quite a distance away. I've seen a couple reasonably locally, an Ace Siena (Fiat) and a Compass Avantgarde (Peugot). They are both nice but I'm aware how wide and tall they are! I plan to spend time touring in Scotland (as well as locally here in North Wales), and the roads in many parts are very narrow. I am worried that the vehicles will be too wide. My comfortable budget is around £21,000 (a little more if necessary). I've looked at the 3 North Wales coastal dealers, if anyone know of anyone else - do tell!

I would like to also look at a Trigano Tribute, but haven't found one nearby (yet!).

So I thought I would ask here for people's opinions:

1. Any thoughts on things to bear in mind when thinking of either type of vehicle?
2. Anyone know from first hand experience whether the narrower Trigano Tribute type actually 'feels' narrower while driving?
3. Is one kind of vehicle generally more comfortable to drive?
4. Is there a marked difference in fuel consumption between a low profile 6m ish and the conversion? If driven carefully!

Sorry - that seems to be a lot of questions!

I would appreciate any thoughts as I'm very new to all this. I wanted to buy one last year, but I got cold feet as it seemed such a big step to take! I hope to overcome that this year!

Thank you!

Yvonne

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
What`s that all about then[HI], are you saying that others who have MH`s only do so to impress others, ?[/HI] when you get to my age you have what suits, don`t care what others think, it is paid for, suits me for what I want it for, have never envied others , people who envy are not happy people, money doesn`t make for happiness, being content with your lot does.
Margaret

Not at all Margaret. I have possibly got to your age, possibly even beyond it.
I merely state that we have chosen what we like and don`t try to impress. It sounds to me as if you agree with my sentiments. You won`t find many more content than me! Sorry if it came over differently in the post. It certainly was not aimed at any one.
As far as being envious is concerned. ....Don`t be silly.

Upvote 0

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
What van to buy?

Hello pengy,I've come to this thread a little late but cannot resist putting my two penerth in!I agree with a lot that others say,particularly Mastercamper.I think "homers" and "vanners" are the same....yet different.My 709D is a BIG van.We rented a motorhome about 7 years ago,not with a view to buy one.I just thought that a touring holiday in Scotland would make a nice change,never having done either before.It was a couple of years later that I decided I would like to do more of the same.Someone said re motorhome or delivery van.I see mine more as like a barge.She's longer and narrower.A lot will depend on how or if you can addapt to the interior space.If overall externel size is an issue,then vote van.There are a lot of wonderful pvc's on the market now with really clever use of internal space.Trouble is,most are front wheel drive Sevel types!:Being a van,I don't have squeeks,groans or leak/damp issues to consider.If I was to change mine:whatthe: I would get a good second hand base vehicle and have someone fit the interior to my exact requirements.There is a chap in Wales will convert your base vehicle using furniture from written off caravans for about £4000.This would leave plenty from your budget and you would get the vehicle you truly want.Mine is 26'long with the huge back box on,she's 8' wide and 10' high.Oh and she had done 298000 km when I bought her:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
as the above poster mentioned decide how it is intended to be used 1st

I had a vw T4 for the last 4 years & loved every minute of it however as a kayaker & as my kayaking grew ever more it was obvious that my beloved Bue Thuder with all its mods was not big enough & hence the decision was made "we need a motorhome"

we spent month's looking testing trying, going so far as to actually pretend to have dinner & sleep in every single motor & what we wanted we couldn't afford, what we liked was not practical etc etc. the funny thing is we ended up back at the dealer we 1st visited & bought a huge van for less than the tiny thing we 1st viewed & it almost has everything we wanted albeit a few compromises.

I wanted a ford we got a peugeot boxer
we wanted a fixed bed we got a rear lounge that easily converts to a huge bed
I also have an over cab bed to use personally
we have extra space in the dinete for preparing meals & relaxing if the bed is made.
I have my roof rack for my boats.
fwd instead of rwd

so think about what you want & look around & good luck.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, I would not discount a small coachbuit as many of them are 21 - 22 feet long whereas the average PVC is just under 20 feet in length.

The width is actually about the same!

If you want actual dimensions of the various coachbuilts have a look at my website for preowned vans which are coachbuilts and compare them against the new Autocruise which is Length: 19’8" / 6.00mWidth: 7'5" / 2.26mHeight: 8'11” / 2.72mMTPLM: 3,500kg

Coachbuilt
Autocruise Wentworth2 Berth2 Safety Belts Layout: End KitchenChassis:peugeot BoxerEngine:2800cc Turbo Diesel Length: 22' 2" (6.76m)Width: 7' 2" (2.195m) Height: 9' 8" (2.935m)MIRO:2945KGMTPLM:3500KG

Bessecar E345
Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual Layout: End Kitchen Length: 20' 9" (6.32m) Width: 7' 4"

Lunar Newstar 58 Length: 19’2” / 5.85mWidth: 7’1” / 2.16mHeight: 9’3” / 2.82mMTPLM: 3,500kg

Swift Lifestyle 500: Year: 2002 Berth: 4Belts: 2Layout: End LoungeChassis: Fiat DucatoEngine: 1900cc Turbo DieselLength: 17’3” /5.25mWidth: 7’2" / 2.18mHeight: 9'3” / 2.83mMTPLM: 3,000kg

See there is not a lot of difference, but a lot more room and easy comfort in a coachbuilt

Good luck

Peter

Peter

Upvote 0

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
PVC or Coachbuilt

Hi Pengy

Just going through the process myself! Have plumped for a compact coàchbuilt, but at the end of the day the choices you make are very personal and all about how you want to use the vehicle and what compromises you are prepared to make on price, equipment and layout. I've read lots of magazines, websites and catalogues and still found my ideas changed completely when I went to a dealer and was able to look at vehicles in the flesh. Many people say that you buy and replace 3 or 4 vehicles before you find the one you like, however more than one dealer has told me that is because most people don't do their homework and work out what they need in a vehicle before buying. It's time consuming, but the impression I get is that doing your homework is essential and also taking your time before buying too. One other thing I was told and I think is important is ambience! If a vehicle doesn't feel homely the advice I was given is that probably never will. If you're living in a vehicle for a couple of weeks it needs to feel comfortable and pleasant!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, I would not discount a small coachbuit as many of them are 21 - 22 feet long whereas the average PVC is just under 20 feet in length.

If you want actual dimensions of the various coachbuilts have a look at my website for preowned vans which are coachbuilts and compare them against the new Autocruise which is Length: 19’8" / 6.00mWidth: 7'5" / 2.26mHeight: 8'11” / 2.72mMTPLM: 3,500kg

Coachbuilt
Autocruise Wentworth2 Berth2 Safety Belts Layout: End KitchenChassis:peugeot BoxerEngine:2800cc Turbo Diesel Length: 22' 2" (6.76m)Width: 7' 2" (2.195m) Height: 9' 8" (2.935m)MIRO:2945KGMTPLM:3500KG

Bessecar E345
Fiat Ducato X250 130 Multijet 2287cc Turbo Diesel Manual Layout: End Kitchen Length: 20' 9" (6.32m) Width: 7' 4"

Lunar Newstar 58 Length: 19’2” / 5.85mWidth: 7’1” / 2.16mHeight: 9’3” / 2.82mMTPLM: 3,500kg

Swift Lifestyle 500: Year: 2002 Berth: 4Belts: 2Layout: End LoungeChassis: Fiat DucatoEngine: 1900cc Turbo DieselLength: 17’3” /5.25mWidth: 7’2" / 2.18mHeight: 9'3” / 2.83mMTPLM: 3,000kg

See there is not a lot of difference, but a lot more room and easy comfort in a coachbuilt

Good luck

Peter

Peter

Morning Peter, not quite as close as you say :Eeek: try giving the internal useable width of panel vans not external dimensions.This Transit I am currently converting has a external size of over 6' 4" (not counting mirrors etc)yet inside struggles to get 5' 9" in width simply because of the strengthening beams inside :Smile: I have not been to a van dealers for a few yrs to measure insides but a few yrs ago they where as below (they may well have grown a bit on more recent versions)
Mainstream vans--
Iveco,VW,/merc sprinter aprox 5' 7/8"
Transit 5' 9"
renault master 5' 10"
fiat ducato stable new shape 6'3"
you can cheat a bit by using between the strengthening beams and simply covering what is the outside skin with a bit of veltrim carpet and strategically placed beds but not ideal :Smile:
Not found any coach built under 6' 6" wide and most come close to 7' plus wide inside -makes a big difference to the layout available and the length of beds :Eeek:-yes a bed across the back /u lounge looks great but try sleeping in a 5' 9" bed if your close to 6' for a few nights :winky:
terry

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
As already said by most, it's a personnel choice and both types have their advantages.

We've had most types of motorhomes from a large A Class to an Adria Twin and now our Self-Built Camper which is built around a LWB Peugeot Boxer.

For me, I wouldn't own a larger van as with living in Cornwall a lot of the roads are just to narrow. We can get to most of the small hidden bays without issue.

We also park outside our house on the road which wouldn't be practical in a wider vehicle. We use the van as our everyday vehicle and can still park in most towns without a problem.

So for us it has to be a campervan.

Just to throw a spanner in your decision making process, have you considered converting a van yourself?

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
With regards to our initial budget & what we saw on the web & on paper we thought a Tribute PVC was the right van for us but nothing beats viewing & trying out lots of options before making such a large purchase as you might be surprised by what you buy! The Tribute lacked storage space, was poorly insulated & the 3rd bed was uncomfortable. It is however a good budget entry point for one or two people as often available used. Having then trawled the dealers we came to the conclusion that the Globecar range fitted our bill best (way over our budget though!) but when we finally got 3 of us in even the longer models at the NEC it just didn't work. As a wildcard we looked at small coachbuilts & found just one model after 2 whole long days at the NEC that we couldn't find a reason not to buy! Our Chausson Best Of 04 (like Flash 04) has a rise & fall French bed with a great garage underneath with 2 locker doors which with a bit of adjustment can take 3 bikes inside on a Fiamma Carry Bike Garage (or on a normal Carry Bike with fixings already on the back), 3 chairs, windbreak, as well as lots of other items with ease. It has a good 3rd bed & being on a Transit chassis enlarges to a small double with the 4th bed accessory, decent sized bathroom & shower with surround, decent hob, grill, large fridge, wardrobe, 4 seat belts & seats up to 5 plus all in under 6m! At the show Chausson were offering a 10 year shell warranty instead of 5 although the last 5 are on a sliding scale. We found nothing else that ticked all of our boxes & a lot cheaper than the Globecar. In an ideal world a PVC which could tow a small caravan would probably be the ideal solution having the best of both worlds but only if we win the lottery! Changing can be an expensive option especially if you are at the mercy of the dealer so can't recommend trying as many as you can strongly enough.... Sorry if a bit preachy but hope our experience helps you or another Funster :Smile:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi do'nt think there's much point asking any1 on here as we all hav different
opinion's
We started with a trigano tribute 550 lovely little van bathroom a tad small,we
now have a Wildax constellation 6 mtr length nice bathroom nice van.:thumb::Cool:

And so do I - the Constellation is a high quality conversion and has a very roomy lounge area!

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As others have said its all a very personal choice, and it varies with changing circumstances.

We have so far always had coachbuilts at around 7m length and been very happy with them.

However following some health issues earlier this year we expect our usage to change, less really long trips, more in England, and hence more potentially on smaller busier roads, and also we thought ease of driving may matter more (less potential stress) . So we have decided to downsize to a van conversion (albiet as they go quite a large one.).

We have gone for an autosleeper warwick XL which looks to be very nice, but we haven't got it yet so we'll see how we cope with the reduced storage!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

Coachbuilt

Bessecar E345

Good luck

Peter

Peter

i cant see how the figures you give are correct peter given the same base unit ie a fiat ducato the cab will be the same width and almost every coach built flares out at least 4 inches minimum either side just behind the doors of the cab where as a panel van doesntin the examples you give they are actually narrower than the panel van

Upvote 0
OP
OP
pengy

pengy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2014
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Decision made!!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute! So I thought I would take a couple of minutes to say what I have finally bought and why!

I did travel and look at both small coachbuilts and PVC's. Did the 'imagine making this bed up everynight', 'what about an afternoon nap on a long journey', 'it's raining/freezing cold' etc.. Also got a tape measure to my drive and some tipex.

So at the weekend I plumped for a low mileage 2006 Adria Twin. The main reasons were:

1. don't have to make the bed up! And being transverse it doesn't appear to take up much space; the length is fine (and it seemed quite comfy).
2. Eating, cooking, washing seems OK too. I'm not big on cooking, and will mainly use site facilities.
3. At 5.6m long it will fit very comfortably on my drive. That is really important as I didn't want to also have to pay for storage.

It seemed OK on the test drive, quite manageable really.

Only time will tell whether I've made the right decision, but at least I have put a lot of thought into it!

Can't wait to take delivery and get off exploring. Making bed linen decisions now - easy and fun!

Have a great summer everyone!

Yvonne

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Great that you've chosen, and an excellent one too I think. The Adria should suit your needs well, and strikes me as a very flexible design.

Hope you have much happy time with it. :thumb:

We've got a fairly compact 6m coachbuilt, which is like a tardis inside and a super layout. But I still hanker after a PVC for the additional ease of visiting out of the way places etc.

Mike

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you to everyone who took the time to contribute! So I thought I would take a couple of minutes to say what I have finally bought and why!

I did travel and look at both small coachbuilts and PVC's. Did the 'imagine making this bed up everynight', 'what about an afternoon nap on a long journey', 'it's raining/freezing cold' etc.. Also got a tape measure to my drive and some tipex.

So at the weekend I plumped for a low mileage 2006 Adria Twin. The main reasons were:

1. don't have to make the bed up! And being transverse it doesn't appear to take up much space; the length is fine (and it seemed quite comfy).
2. Eating, cooking, washing seems OK too. I'm not big on cooking, and will mainly use site facilities.
3. At 5.6m long it will fit very comfortably on my drive. That is really important as I didn't want to also have to pay for storage.

It seemed OK on the test drive, quite manageable really.

Only time will tell whether I've made the right decision, but at least I have put a lot of thought into it!

Can't wait to take delivery and get off exploring. Making bed linen decisions now - easy and fun!

Have a great summer everyone!

Yvonne

Well done and hope to see you at one of the shows!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back