ChrisA1

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
I'ma newbie
Hi, Can anyone advise on a cheap/reasonably priced way to paint the outside of a vehicle? I've seen various video's of different methods, but is DIY and a good finish realistically, actually achievable? Thanks

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
Hi Chris,

This is something I've looked at for a few years and my honest answer is no, you'll never match a decent bodyshop.

There are other things worth looking at such as vinyl wrapping (only if you're a really competent DIY'er and it'll take two of you to do large panels!) or "dipping" which is like a rubberised coat that goes on top of the original paint.

Neither option is truly permanent.

Vinyl wrapping is something I'm looking at very seriously. You can choose any colour, build in any graphics you like, adds another layer of protection etc etc...BUT it isn't forever. Even the commercial grade stuff like you see on Eddie Stobart trucks is only going to last 7 years (warranty life)

I'm thinking of vinyl wrapping some of my work van just so I get an idea of how to work with this stuff before I attempt a DIY on my motorhome.

Apparently, if you head down to Morocco they paint vans and leather up your interior for a fraction of the cost of getting it done in the UK......a holiday and job off the list perhaps?

Upvote 0

Deleted User
as an ex spray painter, i can maybe advise,
is it the whole van you want to paint or just areas ?
is the van white ?
i ask because white is by far the easiest colour to paint as it is very forgiving, other colours show imperfection far more.
cheers rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChrisA1

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
I'ma newbie
Yes the van is white. I think ideally would probably need to do the whole van, a lot of marks all over although some areas are worse, more in need and would be the priority.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Apparently, if you head down to Morocco they paint vans and leather up your interior for a fraction of the cost of getting it done in the UK......a holiday and job off the list perhaps?

Yes, we've seen some excellent work done on what would be considered upper-class vehicles, although I'd be looking for a recommendation.

Seems an expensive way, though, of getting a cheap respray! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back