LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So following on from my Ferry booked thread I have been pricing the ferry options our favourite being Hull-Zeebrugge, a 7.99 metre motorhome would be £319 but we are 8.5 metres and the price will be £498:mad: so for 0.5 metre they charge nearly £200, after a bit more pricing I worked out that the price band we are in is 8 metres to 12 metres with no smaller increments, after a telephone conversation and a couple of e-mails "yes that is correct take it or leave it"

I will be honest and say we usually book with Caravan and Motorhome Club and they always seem to better the P&O direct prices so on the phone and to cut a long story short £385 which includes upgraded cabins to 4 berth sea view and included 4 nights overseas site vouchers, worth £60.

So people ask are the clubs worth their money for membership, between £113 and £173 saved(y) so that is a YES from me.

Martin

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Martin, just as an aside, we came back on that ferry last Thursday night. Gusting to 55. As we were about a mile offshore we stopped and the captain explained that there was a lot of traffic about (as if!) then after half an hour a pilot boat came alongside and we took on a pilot, never seen that before. Then 2 tugs came out and spent the next hour or so pushing and shoving us through the lock gates. Quite fun really and it was seriously blowing by now. Have a safe trip.
Paul.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
So following on from my Ferry booked thread I have been pricing the ferry options our favourite being Hull-Zeebrugge, a 7.99 metre motorhome would be £319 but we are 8.5 metres and the price will be £498:mad: so for 0.5 metre they charge nearly £200, after a bit more pricing I worked out that the price band we are in is 8 metres to 12 metres with no smaller increments, after a telephone conversation and a couple of e-mails "yes that is correct take it or leave it"

I will be honest and say we usually book with Caravan and Motorhome Club and they always seem to better the P&O direct prices so on the phone and to cut a long story short £385 which includes upgraded cabins to 4 berth sea view and included 4 nights overseas site vouchers, worth £60.

So people ask are the clubs worth their money for membership, between £113 and £173 saved(y) so that is a YES from me.

Martin
We do 4 trips a year from Hull, and always the C&MC the cheapest. So , yes, worth joining!!, and Hull is only 35 miles from home :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Martin, just as an aside, we came back on that ferry last Thursday night. Gusting to 55. As we were about a mile offshore we stopped and the captain explained that there was a lot of traffic about (as if!) then after half an hour a pilot boat came alongside and we took on a pilot, never seen that before. Then 2 tugs came out and spent the next hour or so pushing and shoving us through the lock gates. Quite fun really and it was seriously blowing by now. Have a safe trip.
Paul.
We’ve had the ‘tugs’ take us out of the inner harbour and through the locks....., the secret then is to keep hold of your beer so it doesn’t fall of the table :cry:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We travelled on the ferry on Friday night and it was one of the best crossings we've had, we also booked through CMC at a cost of just over £300 for a 6.4m van. We did get camping vouchers but still saved money using them.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Paul.
They don’t like the wind, the sides are like a sail(y)

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dose the cc&c get the same deals?
Bill
Bit more expensive on the web comparison compared to the C&MC but still cheaper that P&O direct, the thing with the C&MC is that they offer a deal with site vouchers that are worth £60 but even if you don't use them it brings the ferry price down, mad I know but that's the way it is. Dont know if C&CC do anything similar.

Martin

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Bit more expensive on the web comparison compared to the C&MC but still cheaper that P&O direct, the thing with the C&MC is that they offer a deal with site vouchers that are worth £60 but even if you don't use them it brings the ferry price down, mad I know but that's the way it is. Dont know if C&CC do anything similar.

Martin
We have a wallet full of unused camping cheques and the new camping vouchers. But we class as them as ‘free’, so if we don’t or can’t use them then no problem.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a wallet full of unused camping cheques and the new camping vouchers. But we class as them as ‘free’, so if we don’t or can’t use them then no problem.
Likewise.

Would you like £60 worth of vouchers and we will knock £65 of the ferry price, OK(y)

To be fair we have used some "camping cheques"

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We live near Hull but always go down south to cross via Eurotunnel as one of our dogs is terrified of ferries, not to mention our wallets being scared silly of the cost!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

Martin
Phoned C&CC thay can get 5% less than po direct thinking of Christmas in UK as Hull is to expensive and Dover to far to drive just now
Bill

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Paul.
The ferry didn't dock till after 12.00 yesterday!! something to do with a problem at the Zeebrugge end the previous night:eek::eek:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp

Martin
Hi Martin, old thread I know but what are these overseas site vouchers and where can you use them? Cmc Partner sites? Or any sites? I do get Acsi every year so I’m unsure whether these site vouchers would be beneficial!!
I’m on the verge of joining one club or the other, and am leaning towards using Hull a bit more, as Harwich is a trek, especially coming home, and Eurotunnel is a right PIA coming home (Dartford Tunnel area) and if there are savings to be had on NSF I could be tempted?
ps have you got the new van yet?

Ady

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I was getting quite indignant about all these persons travelling until I realised this was an old thread ha ha ha. Bloody hell
Just wait till the EU opens up and the ferries and eurotunnel start operating as normal, it will be like the red lights going out at a F1 race ????

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin, old thread I know but what are these overseas site vouchers and where can you use them? Cmc Partner sites? Or any sites? I do get Acsi every year so I’m unsure whether these site vouchers would be beneficial!!
I’m on the verge of joining one club or the other, and am leaning towards using Hull a bit more, as Harwich is a trek, especially coming home, and Eurotunnel is a right PIA coming home (Dartford Tunnel area) and if there are savings to be had on NSF I could be tempted?
ps have you got the new van yet?

Ady
Hi Ady

Last question first NO not yet but hopefully V soon, you will know when we have there will be fireworks and much clapping ;) we did ahave a a quick look a couple of weeks back when we were passing.

Site vouchers, https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/special-offers/overseas-site-night-vouchers/

We tend to view them as a freebie so if we get to use them it's a bonus, we used some a couple of years back in Strasbourg and the site didn't even know they were in the scheme, they did when we took the book in and showed them(y)

Martin

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
While unusual. My experience is that it is not that uncommon for the Ferry Captains to occasionally take a Pilot, as we did in and out of Immingham on occasion back in the 70`s, their own "Pilot" training is not at the same level as that of the "professional" Pilots. Also the Humber is notorious for shifts in the sand banks and tidal changes, grounding at times of low "springs" is not at all unknown, and that is also one way the Ferry Captains update their "knowledge"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back