Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oxon hall - wonderful site and very close to Shrewsbury
nice big pitches- with all facilities
It’s a nice site.

I think it’s adults only so not been for quite a few years.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Stayed there loads , there’s a danger that it won’t be there forever as the new bypass is planned to cut right through it.
Shops and pubs on doorstep , great walk into town ( road or by the river , past Charles Darwin’s house )
Great wine bar by the station GluGlu and a beautiful tapas restaurant owned and run by Spaniards ( casa Naranjo ) , Tanners Wine merchants and a champagne bar .
We are back 15th April , meeting friends in town who have never been to Shrewsbury.
Site itself is spot on with an adults only side to the site .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s not adults only but there’s an adults only area, we have just returned from there.
Yes you are right.

I remember there was something that stopped me meeting my Mum there.

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Pamplona
Exp
Since 2018
We have just returned from there, our second visit. Not cheap but we took advantage of their 3 for 2 night offer. The park and ride runs from near the site frequently, apart from Sundays. We can recommend the Chinese and Fish and Chip shop takeaways and the Ego restaurant, all within walking distance. The facilities are immaculate and the pitches are a good size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
So the walk from site into town is how long..........in minutes for a person walking normally.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
So the walk from site into town is how long..........in minutes for a person walking normally.
Think the bus looks like a better option as it’s around 2.7 miles to walk and 50+minute😳😳
4E09A885-FDD8-4A84-805E-834A69A2E105.jpeg

1679681121170.jpeg

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You can book a place on Shrewsbury showground on pitch-up and it's OK to walk into town, you need a bus or your own transport if you are on Oxen hall.
We walk , it’s an old fashioned concept but it might catch on again . 💡👍😎
It’s a pleasant walk downhill into town , cab back is cheap compared to cities .
Cabs from rail station ask for Albert ! 🤣

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Only been to Oxen hall once and loved it, will definitely visit again

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
As soon as we get the van back i want to book a few days at Oxen Hall Shropshire.
Love to here if i am doing the right thing?
Morris who own the site have had a 3 nights for the price of 2 for some time. I'd recommend the P&R which is a short walk from the site. I can recommend the Chinese takeaway it's called the Blue Jade, our takeaway of choice, a 36 mile round trip for us. They won't deliver :doh:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You can book a place on Shrewsbury showground on pitch-up and it's OK to walk into town, you need a bus or your own transport if you are on Oxen hall.
I agree Martin Showground is much better, Oxon park is too far away from town, overpriced and love to be difficult. its ok saying its nrxt to P&r but the buses stop at 6.30pm.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Stayed there loads , there’s a danger that it won’t be there forever as the new bypass is planned to cut right through it.
Shops and pubs on doorstep , great walk into town ( road or by the river , past Charles Darwin’s house )
Great wine bar by the station GluGlu and a beautiful tapas restaurant owned and run by Spaniards ( casa Naranjo ) , Tanners Wine merchants and a champagne bar .
We are back 15th April , meeting friends in town who have never been to Shrewsbury.
Site itself is spot on with an adults only side to the site .
i don't think the NWRR is going through it, but the Newt botherers are doing their best to stop it anyway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It’s a pleasant walk downhill into town , cab back is cheap compared to cities .
Yes I get the concept and I do a fair bit of it but we usually go into town twice once for the shops and then again into Wetherspoons to be fed and watered ;) that would be 7 miles plus walking around the town even if we got a taxi back, too much for my old joints now.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I agree Martin Showground is much better, Oxon park is too far away from town, overpriced and love to be difficult. its ok saying its nrxt to P&r but the buses stop at 6.30pm.
You are right Jon it's Oxon not Oxen ;) I have edited my post (just in case Geoff pulls me up) :LOL: we stayed there once and it was OK but it was never going to work for New Year which is why we used the showground and the Funster New Year event was born as you know, the rest they say is history.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Right, thanks for the above.
I have decided i will take the bike (with engine). So we can have a run around and walkabouts in the town. If we decide to have adrink and grub we will walk into town and taxi back.
Site cost, not bothered.
All we need now is a motorhome to go in.
Thanks all.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We normally walk and have been known to do over 9 miles in Germany when it was near 35d🥵🥵🥵
Now we take our two 15 year old Jacks with us we keep it down to around 4-5 miles😁

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Morris leisure the only company who didnt honour our booking in Covid times. So not for us stay at the showground.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Morris leisure the only company who didnt honour our booking in Covid times. So not for us stay at the showground.
The also made a real mess of it with their residents apparently.
Not booked anything yet so will have a look. Thanks.
It really depends what you want, if you want barriered entry, regimented parking and posh showers choose Oxon

If you prefer freestyle camping in a large open space next to the river, walking distance to town but dont care about facilities then the Showground is better.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The also made a real mess of it with their residents apparently.

It really depends what you want, if you want barriered entry, regimented parking and posh showers choose Oxon

If you prefer freestyle camping in a large open space next to the river, walking distance to town but dont care about facilities then the Showground is better.
Actually yes we do prefer the posh bit.
We enjoy walking, part of the enjoyment of a break so the additional distance wont be an issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back