LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is easy to do and can be cheap... It partly depends on whether you want anything from else from your service, such as Web hosting, whether the extension is of significance to you...
.com, co.uk etc. and the number of mail boxes required. Costs from free to a pound or two per month... More if you want an associated website hosted. Be aware of cheap introductory deals for year 1 that go out up significantly after the first 12 months.

I normally start with checking https://who.is/ to see if the domain address I want is available and if not, what close alternatives might be suitable. It also identifies when it was last used, if ever, so you could check the history of the domain.

Others can advise better on domain hosting options... There are many and reliability etc. Will have changed since I last checked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Hello Edward. I have a domain, but the email was hosted, I have two NAS so I was hoping to set up my own email server..
Running an internal mail server is rarely done these days and even hosted mail servers don't compare to GSuite/365 but there is lots of fun to running your own.

If you want to run your own email server then once you have your domain bought you'll need a fixed IP from your BB service provider and a router capable of taking traffic in to your internal server. A NAS is network attached storage and unlikely to run a mail server. A cheap alternative is a raspberry pi. Anyhows once you have your domain, fixed IP, router programmed up and mail server all you need to do is point your domain MX records in and it should start routing mail in. Lots of things will go wrong but that's makes it all the more fun. Do be careful if running an internal mail server on your home network. Great way to get hacked.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hello Edward. I have a domain, but the email was hosted, I have two NAS so I was hoping to set up my own email server..

Running your own mailserver is not recommended. You will be on what is classed as a dynamic IP address which may change each time your internet router is rebooted.

This problem of changing IP's can be got around. However, most email service providers operate what is called an RBL system. This is a Realtime BlackList system.
There are loads available but a common one is for ISP dynamic IP's. Self hosted email services or badly configured home computers are responsible for so much spam that it is pretty much compulsory for proper mailservers just to block them.

If you were to try to send me an email from a mail server running on say a btinternet home connection you would get blocked at the EHLO.

One example of this is the PBL by Spamhaus.

This particular one can be got around but many can't.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: You will also need to learn DNS stuff like;
DMARC
SPF
DKIM

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
One last point, Your ISP may block outgoing port 25 to prevent you sending emails directly and may require you to go through their SMTP server.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
PS: You will also need to learn DNS stuff like;
DMARC
SPF
DKIM
One last point, Your ISP may block outgoing port 25 to prevent you sending emails directly and may require you to go through their SMTP server.
This problem of changing IP's can be got around. However, most email service providers operate what is called an RBL system. This is a Realtime BlackList system.
There are loads available but a common one is for ISP dynamic IP's. Self hosted email services or badly configured home computers are responsible for so much spam that it is pretty much compulsory for proper mailservers just to block them.
What Gromett said ........................ I think!!!!!!!!

Not a word did I understand :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I got a domain name made up of my first name and surname when the .co.uk ones came out in the late 1990s. I was offered it by my ISP at the time who was then called Force9 and they offered to manage it for free. They later changed their name to Plusnet, and I have been with them all the time since and they still don't charge me the manage it. Mind you I don't have a website on it as it is just used for the email address.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I git a domain from 123.reg, Ā£40 for 10 years.
Set up a GMAIL account and messed around with the MX records (so now have firstname.mydomain.co.uk for all the family) - Free

Must check how long I've got left actually šŸ˜…

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back