Overnight parking o MHs in public CPs (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread is an adjunct to the thread on NI CPs where different Councillors are expressing different views on balancing use of public CPs between locals and tourists in MHs.

I have had an idea( I had one last year also)

Whilst locals use CPs in various locations for shopping, walking dogs/children etc. a lot of this activity dies down in the evening.

I wonder whether Councils could consider, for at least some of their CPs, making them available for MH overnight parking between certain hours when they are under-utilised.

I am not aware that this idea has been attempted as a balance between daytime use for locals and evening/night use for MHomers. Restaurants/pubs might benefit.

Geoff

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Most councils will assume you will empty your toilet cassette down a storm drain, leave your grey water tap open to dribble across the tarmac and chuck your rubbish in the hedge. Of course no reasonable person would do any of that but the council will have met many unreasonable people not just in car parks. They will have to spend money on a parking charge system and regular warden inspection. Locals residents may express their opinion in a more forceful and destructive manner. Yobs will have found a new group of people to intimidate.
Bit of a non starter I feel.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Most councils will assume you will empty your toilet cassette down a storm drain, leave your grey water tap open to dribble across the tarmac and chuck your rubbish in the hedge. Of course no reasonable person would do any of that but the council will have met many unreasonable people not just in car parks. They will have to spend money on a parking charge system and regular warden inspection. Locals residents may express their opinion in a more forceful and destructive manner. Yobs will have found a new group of people to intimidate.

Well that is a negative view.

As posted above Powys actually welcome MHs as do Hereford and I have stayed on some of their CPs., and Bridgenorth.

Other Councils are trying schemes.

CAMpRA are trying hard to educate Councils about the facts that self-contained MHs have showers, toilets and waste bins - cars do not! Also I think the majority of MHomers do not eat McDonalds and if they do do not throw the rubbish out of the window.

Maybe it is time to challenge 'locals' to produce evidence of MHs abusing the environment, other than just writing letters to Councillors, who may or may not have connections to campsites, declared or not.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This thread is an adjunct to the thread on NI CPs where different Councillors are expressing different views on balancing use of public CPs between locals and tourists in MHs.

I have had an idea( I had one last year also)

Whilst locals use CPs in various locations for shopping, walking dogs/children etc. a lot of this activity dies down in the evening.

I wonder whether Councils could consider, for at least some of their CPs, making them available for MH overnight parking between certain hours when they are under-utilised.

I am not aware that this idea has been attempted as a balance between daytime use for locals and evening/night use for MHomers. Restaurants/pubs might benefit.

Geoff
All of the councils that allow motorhome camping in their car parks do that already to a greater or lesser extent. It doesn't always work though, as Guisborough showed.
The subject has been discussed on here a few times and, as usual, the viability will vary between locations. For instance, if the heaviest use of a car park is during shopping hours it could, in theory, leave up to 14-15 hours for camping. In others, though, the usage is extended by commuter traffic and/or people going out for the evening (to restaurants/pubs for instance) which would require campers to arrive late and leave early.
If I recall correctly, the Parking Officer at Blackpool told me that was a major factor in deciding which car parks camping would be allowed in.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
All of the councils that allow motorhome camping in their car parks do that already to a greater or lesser extent. It doesn't always work though, as Guisborough showed.
The subject has been discussed on here a few times and, as usual, the viability will vary between locations. For instance, if the heaviest use of a car park is during shopping hours it could, in theory, leave up to 14-15 hours for camping. In others, though, the usage is extended by commuter traffic and/or people going out for the evening (to restaurants/pubs for instance) which would require campers to arrive late and leave early.
If I recall correctly, the Parking Officer at Blackpool told me that was a major factor in deciding which car parks camping would be allowed in.
Would not the MH decide which 'allowed' location they would choose if it is a late stopover just for sleeps a computer carpark will do , if it is for visiting a town well more central and it is is for walks in the country side and you want to be there all day as well just pay the daily rate and then return to the van to sleep local rules respected.

I often stay in a town centre carpark near their theatre lovely mooching around independent shops fresh bread from the bakery in the morning and the local coop for any normal groceries and independents for the rest and the local butchers is really yummy.

If the local council are good enough to supply the parking I am grateful and if it suits me I will use it if not I'm in a field by a canal, river ,seaside or even a campsite

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Please do not liken overnight parking to "Camping", this is what seems to really annoy people, when Motorhomers, set up camp with awnings / fuirniture / BBQ's all set up, if we overnight in a car park the only things on the ground are the wheels, and that is how it should be, in our opinion.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Please do not liken overnight parking to "Camping", this is what seems to really annoy people, when Motorhomers, set up camp with awnings / fuirniture / BBQ's all set up, if we overnight in a car park the only things on the ground are the wheels, and that is how it should be, in our opinion.
I use the term camping because that is what it is as far as the legislation is concerned when a motorhome/caravan is used "for the purposes of human habitation" rather than simply parking. Under current legislation (which isn't going to change in the near future) as soon as land is used "for the purposes of human habitation" it becomes a caravan site.
It is the legislation, not anything to do with awnings, furniture &c., which governs what local authorities can do. The more widely that is understood, the more likely it is that people will appreciate that allowing camping in car parks is not as simple and straightforward as they might wish or imagine.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Would not the MH decide which 'allowed' location they would choose if it is a late stopover just for sleeps a computer carpark will do , if it is for visiting a town well more central and it is is for walks in the country side and you want to be there all day as well just pay the daily rate and then return to the van to sleep local rules respected.

I often stay in a town centre carpark near their theatre lovely mooching around independent shops fresh bread from the bakery in the morning and the local coop for any normal groceries and independents for the rest and the local butchers is really yummy.

If the local council are good enough to supply the parking I am grateful and if it suits me I will use it if not I'm in a field by a canal, river ,seaside or even a campsite
We already have a situation in many areas where motorhomers decide that they can camp where they choose, no matter whether it is allowed or not. It is that which causes so many problems.
It probably wouldn't be problem if there were only the odd van but in popular areas (Whitby is a good example) the use of a car park for camping by multiple motorhomers does have an adverse effect on the availability of general daytime parking - which is what car parks are created for.
It is where LAs have decided, after looking at the evidence, that allowing camping would not have that adverse effect that they have decided to allow camping.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

We were parked on a car / van / coach park in Perth. Parked as we were meeting someone.

A car pulled up next to us and set up table, chairs, camping kitchen and made themselves a nice meal ....... nothing wrong with that as there was a lot of space and they left nothing behind when they were done, all litter was bagged and taken away with them.

If we had cooked and eaten in our van would that have been habitation?

There was a lot of litter around because of the fast food outlet nearby and the birds had discovered an easy meal from the bins :(

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Excellent idea, although many car parks in my local towns normally start to become pretty full with commuters' cars from 7.30 to 8.00 a.m. I wouldn't want to be the warden attempting to eject motorhomes at that hour.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Most councils will assume you will empty your toilet cassette down a storm drain, leave your grey water tap open to dribble across the tarmac and chuck your rubbish in the hedge.

I would be interested to know how you found out that MOST councils will assume these things.

Did you carry out any research or are you simply guessing?

JJ :cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I would be interested to know how you found out that MOST councils will assume these things.

Did you carry out any research or are you simply guessing?

JJ :cool:
Good question JJ

A few facts (taken from research and experience):
1. All (not just most) councils will have provided car parks to meet the anticipated demand for parking, not camping by motorhome owners.
2. The majority of car parks are either unsuitable (e.g. multi-storey) or not attractive to motorhome owners who want to camp in a car park.
3. Where a car park is attractive to motorhome owners who want to camp in a car park the council will wish to ensure that enabling camping will not adversely affect existing car park users (they have to balance conflictiong demands).
4. Even where there is capacity there will be a cost. That can vary from minor (e.g. obtaining planning consent for camping as well as parking and updating charging systems for the new use) to major (e.g. new infrastructure for water/waste). The council will wish to ensure that the cost can be recouped within a reasonable time (which may be a mixture of direct income and increased footfall for local businesses).

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We do not want to set up camp in a car park, but just to occassionally park up overnight, and to sleep, and have a quick coffee in the morning before moving on or spending part of the day in that particular town /city, and spending some money.
The problem as we see it is those who set up full camping facilities in a car park, on the roadside etc, and expect to remain there for days / weeks without paying a penny, and no regard for anyone else,
If we all respected that most people do not share our passion, and that there are campsites for long term camping, then single overnighting may become acceptable,
We can only live in hope !! :giggle:

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I admit to being a FLT, but there are very few circumstances in which I would want to overnight in a public car park. The risk of being the target for vandals, hooligans and ne'er do wells is too great. Also, most car parks are in town centres or places with a high volume of traffic or activity. I prefer rural, peaceful, unobtrusive places where I won't attract attention or irritate the locals.
Having said all that - I can see the merits of making public car parks available as overnight parking for motorhomes (me excluded) and it could be a nice little earner for councils.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I admit to being a FLT, but there are very few circumstances in which I would want to overnight in a public car park. The risk of being the target for vandals, hooligans and ne'er do wells is too great. Also, most car parks are in town centres or places with a high volume of traffic or activity. I prefer rural, peaceful, unobtrusive places where I won't attract attention or irritate the locals.
Having said all that - I can see the merits of making public car parks available as overnight parking for motorhomes (me excluded) and it could be a nice little earner for councils.
GJH has always got to turn parking into camping, and nothing anyone says is going to alter him, what is the difference between just coming along and parking your car and getting your head down for a couple of hours, and doing the same in your motorhome.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
GJH has always got to turn parking into camping, and nothing anyone says is going to alter him, what is the difference between just coming along and parking your car and getting your head down for a couple of hours, and doing the same in your motorhome.
GJH simply points out, ad nauseum, what the law states. It doesn't matter what you, or I, or anyone else, believes is logical or sensible. The law is simple.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH simply points out, ad nauseum, what the law states. It doesn't matter what you, or I, or anyone else, believes is logical or sensible. The law is simple.
You're absolutely correct that it doesn't matter what you, or I, or anyone else, believes is logical or sensible. The reason being that, as in all things, we can't all just behave as it suits us, we have to have an arbiter.
You can always stop reading what I post if you like - won't change the facts though ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Here we go again. Don't like the facts so blame the messenger. I thought you would realise the difference as I have explained to you several times that the legislatiion is specific to caravans (including motor caravans) :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We do not want to set up camp in a car park, but just to occassionally park up overnight, and to sleep, and have a quick coffee in the morning before moving on or spending part of the day in that particular town /city, and spending some money.
The problem as we see it is those who set up full camping facilities in a car park, on the roadside etc, and expect to remain there for days / weeks without paying a penny, and no regard for anyone else,
If we all respected that most people do not share our passion, and that there are campsites for long term camping, then single overnighting may become acceptable,
We can only live in hope !! :giggle:
I'm afraid that simply hoping will have little result, it needs effort - and suffering the abuse that comes with it.
You need to explain your argument to your MP to try to get the law changed and/or lobby councils of your choice to persuade them to allow camping in their car parks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another gone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun