Overnight ferry. (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
First time for us overnighting. We arrived at Dieppe at 05.00 First ones off the gang plank, straight through passport and customs in minutes. Cleared Reuon by 06.00.drove for another 2 hours then crashed out for a couple of hours at an Aire. Some breakfast then back to wheel. We're now just outside Bordeaux at tiny lakeside Aire with just water. No one else here, its off the A10. Good for one night. Biaritz tomorrow. For us the night ferry worked, is it the same for others? There were a couple of Motorhomes parked at the loading entrance for the port but didn't get on, so I guess it's not everyone's thing.
Mike.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We normally do the Dieppe ferry on the way out and park up 1/2 hr on arrival at a countryside aire. On return to U.K. we have done the evening crossing, it’s quiet and easy to sleep but think next time we will splash the cash and have a cabin. A good easy crossing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BouncyBoatFolk
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We watched the thunderstorm out of the lounge window. It's a noisy old tug so not sure if I'd sleep even with a cabin, but might give that a go next time.
Mike.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did it once when the day ferry got cancelled, only got a couple of hours sleep in the cabin. Rouen was still like rush hour at 6:15am.
We normally take the 10/11am out and return on either the 12pm or 6pm.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We watched the thunderstorm out of the lounge window. It's a noisy old tug so not sure if I'd sleep even with a cabin, but might give that a go next time.
Mike.
Unfortunately we were parked up on the Auchun shop car park in Dieppe yesterday. I say "unfortunately" because we forgot that it was May Day and all the shops were closed. Not much to do and only a few places to eat were open. We ended up in the Flunch to eat our last meal of our trip!

In the evening we were "treated" to 3 spectacular thunderstorms during the evening. We were waiting for the midnight ferry to depart before we drove into the port and park up in front of their check in gates for a good sleep and then await the noon sailing. We got another thunderstorm there as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
We always get the Dieppe overnight and do exactly as you have. Drive for 2 1/2 hours and stop for a kip and breakfast then carry on. Normally get past Poitiers before overnighting.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Think it was the overnight ferry to Dieppe when we had a cabin booked down in the bowels of the ship somewhere and when we went to bed both immediately noticed the sort of swishing noise from whatever it was - both joked that we must have accidentally got on a paddle steamer and it was one of the paddle wheels that kept going round that was swishing and agreed that we bet we wouldn't sleep, Next thing we both remembered was some bugger knocking on the cabin door telling us it was sparrow fart and time to get up.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
First time for us overnighting. We arrived at Dieppe at 05.00 First ones off the gang plank, straight through passport and customs in minutes. Cleared Reuon by 06.00.drove for another 2 hours then crashed out for a couple of hours at an Aire. Some breakfast then back to wheel. We're now just outside Bordeaux at tiny lakeside Aire with just water. No one else here, its off the A10. Good for one night. Biaritz tomorrow. For us the night ferry worked, is it the same for others? There were a couple of Motorhomes parked at the loading entrance for the port but didn't get on, so I guess it's not everyone's thing.
Mike.
Did you get a cabin ?

Seems you made good progress

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I meant to say we've chosen to eat at a Flunch on numerous occasions. Some things they do better than others and when there's a queue for something, get in that and wait - then it's pretty much guaranteed to be piping hot! (I'm remembering moules & frites here!)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back