Our first trip, could have been better (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Hi, we collected our Benimar on Monday after being woken up by a phone call from Marquis that morning, saying they needed 2 more days..!

After a frank conversation reminding them that I’d called weds thurs and Friday last week triple checking that it would be ready because we’d booked our pitch for Tues this week, they said they could have it ready 2 hrs later than planned so we went at 3pm.

They had a Covid scare on Friday lunchtime, a customer had been in that week who tested positive so they rang Marquis letting them know, and they closed the workshop immediately; my argument was that if they knew our van HAD to be done by Monday why was it left so long?

Anyway, we got there for 3 on Monday and did a lot of waiting, by 4.30 we had our demo. They had it hooked up and with a ‘demo gas bottle’ connected, everything explained well and we left very happy once they’d unplugged and removed said ‘demo gas bottle.’ We went straight to Go Outdoors to collect a windbreak and a new gas bottle, we were also sold a regulator that we didn’t need - obviously our van has one fitted already but I didn’t realise... We wanted to get home so I secured the bottle in the cabinet and didn’t connect it.....

Tuesday morning we packed up and set off for our first stop - the Small Animal Hospital in Neston on the Wirral for Ozzy’s cancer checkup. After a few hours they came back out with him and overshadowed our holiday with bad news, the cancer is back and there aren’t many options. We couldn’t set off for a while as we really didn’t expect this news 😞 so I went to switch the gas on for a cuppa but couldn’t attach it, I didn’t know that we needed a gas bottle spanner and Marquis did not provide one despite them having to use one to disconnect the ‘demo gas bottle,’ and they never mentioned the spanner in their demo. Luckily a friendly guy nearby at a Caravan sales place sorted it for us but I rang Marquis a bit annoyed and told them they owe us a spanner. We decided that we would just press on and enjoy our holiday, making good memories with Ozzy and his frenchie brother Vinnie.

Next stop Nant Bychan Farm on Anglesey - we arrived and were happy with the site we chose - the farmer/owner greeted us and led us down to our pitch which was sloping forwards but Marquis gave me a pair of ramps so I wasn’t concerned. I filled up with water and hooked up.
Jo fed the dogs their tea and then tried to wash up - no sink plug, we made do in the end but Marquis owe us a sink plug.
Unfortunately the Fiamma ramps they gave us were useless so our first night was on a slope, and a bit wobbly too - I left the awning out (pegged down) and forgot that the corner steadies existed.

Had a nice day yesterday, drove around to a couple of beach stops to walk the boys and had a coffee and pizza lunch with a great view. Last night we got a flat pitch after a quick chat with the owner, who understood completely and was very happy to help. I kept the awning rolled in and used the corner steadies, we had a much better night.

I’ve just been out with Oz and Vinnie and now back in bed writing this. Today we leave and head home after our first holiday which we have really enjoyed, it just could have been better I guess.

Amongst everything else I need to talk to Marquis about the lack of outdoor shower hose (demo guy said it was included and was under the bed, it wasn’t) and also the mysterious disappearance of the toothbrush holders that were fitted when we test drove the van, but have now been replaced by a pair of ugly looking plastic plugs covering the holes in the wall where they were attached 🤨

Attached some photos from our trip
Cheers

8FC0FF4E-9737-4C0D-981A-D5163C87024A.jpeg604B8FEE-D761-41D6-B516-81A5CF434109.jpeg2CACCCA9-05CC-4B2B-BFAB-1265B2B5963E.jpeg70BC3C5E-6AB7-4128-9FF4-3B64F22DD173.jpeg15AF9F7B-6EC7-4D2F-8A83-598DD5EA9FCC.jpegBE02BE0D-C4B1-4BFD-85A0-CFE8C29E65A9.jpeg414C12E7-470B-44A9-944E-1D2BFA5C57A4.jpeg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So sorry about Ozzy, everything else is solveable but that must have knocked you for six.
You’re not selling Marquis ...you’ll need to do a snagging list and hopefully they’ll sort it out.
Your site in Anglesey looks just like one we were staying on in Galloway - I had to scroll back up your post to check 😂

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Good luck to os , let’s hope there he stays ok for a long time . Apart from that nothing that can’t be sorted .
with a few phone calls .
re your corner steadies leave a note to yourself to wind them in before leaving site . The old trick is to leave the steady winder across your clutch pedals etc . Not that I have ever forgotten them !😀

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
As said Ozzy should be at the front of your mind, the MH issues are all small.

re your corner steadies leave a note to yourself to wind them in before leaving site . The old trick is to leave the steady winder across your clutch pedals etc
Good advise.

The good news is you got by and now know a lot more about the MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hope Ozzy has a comfortable time 😢

On the MH side it could have been a lot worse 👍🙂

get a bowl for your sink 👍 save loads of water

Very surprised the dealer didn’t sell you gas bottles and I am amazed they still fit hoses needing a spanner , we have these on our 2007 model

But we now have refillables so don’t need the three spanners we have collected over the years 🤔

next trip will be better, but it’s not often we don’t forget something 👍

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Welcome to the wonderful world of motor homing! My, you are brave having dogs and white upholstery!!
I have to admit that I'd hoped Marquis might have improved since I last dealt with them in 1997 when I had a snagging list that went to four (yes four) handwritten pages of A4 paper. At least none of your problems were safety issues; my snagging list included a passenger seat belt retaining bolt whose threads had been stripped but has been replaced with masking tape to hold it in place!!! It lasted 20 miles; my temper about 2 yards longer!! The van should have been rejected - ah well!

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Sorry about Ozzy. Hope you get some better news soon.
I have a great deal of sympathy for your dealer experiences however, would you buy a boat and immediatly go to sea?

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Sorry to hear about your dog. Not a good start to trip.😩

Its a sharp learning curve as a first time motorhome owner.😀
Be very careful leaving the wind out awning out overnight. Make sure you have it slightly higher one end so any rain can run off without it collecting and sagging! (Ive been there)
Also make sure you get some good storm straps and use them as well as good pegs on legs. Ive seen 2 awnings that have been blown over the top of the van and Been severely damaged. A lot on here, dont leave them out overnight.
Good luck on your future travels.👍

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Aww! Ozzy. You beautiful boy. Make happy memories. Your first couple of nights went more smoothly than ours!! 😂 We now do a check list we run through before setting off. Things like all cupboards locked, soap placed in sink, shower door secured, fridge to 12 v, gas off and so on.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Sorry about Ozzy. Hope you get some better news soon.
I have a great deal of sympathy for your dealer experiences however, would you buy a boat and immediatly go to sea?
Thank you, and frankly yes? If they say it’ll be “ready to go” it should be lol 🙂

Thanks all for the replies, the news has certainly shocked us but it just makes me more determined to enjoy the van and the places we go.

Not too concerned about the van stuff as you’ve said I can sort it all easily.

🙂👍

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
The one constant we have found since owning a van is the willingness of owners to help folk in difficulty!

First time out is always a trial whether its a brand new van or a pre-loved pride and joy.

When we picked up our first van the previous owner had helpfully provided the dealer with a list of all the mods he had done to the van, from changing all interior lights to led to where he wired the additional usb sockets to. The dealer passed it on and said it was most helpful and we did exactly the same when we px'd the van for our latest.
We appear to have been lucky choosing two dealers who have been great, Marquis do seem to be continuing to underperform!

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear about Ozzy, that must have coloured the whole first experience for you.

What I can tell you, 2 years after we collected our first van, is that:

a) there is a snag on every trip, or something we forget - despite the co-pilot running through a pre-flight checklist. It could be that the pilot isn't listening to her!

b) we can't remember any of the snags from our first trip, so either there weren't any or you very quickly forget them but do remember the lovely times and memories you make.

Enjoy - looks a nice van.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Yes, why wouldn't you?

Some years ago I rented a boat on the Broads. "Brand New!" says the boatyard, "You are the first user". Half way across Breydon Water - it's about a mile across, being an inquistitive fellow, I raised the engine cover to discover the bilge deep in water churned up by the propshaft! They had not packed the stern gland. Every 'van we have purchased we have stopped first night a few miles from the dealer. We call it our 'shakedown cruise'....

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Some years ago I rented a boat on the Broads. "Brand New!" says the boatyard, "You are the first user". Half way across Breydon Water - it's about a mile across, being an inquistitive fellow, I raised the engine cover to discover the bilge deep in water churned up by the propshaft! They had not packed the stern gland. Every 'van we have purchased we have stopped first night a few miles from the dealer. We call it our 'shakedown cruise'....

Not sure what a "stern gland" is, but presumably it is what powers the looks MrsW gives me.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
I’m also very sorry to hear about Ozzy, things like that knock all the other issues into a cocked hat.
i hope you’re able to get many more trips away with Ozzy as he certainly looks like he enjoyed it!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Give Ozzy a big hug from us.
So looking forward to problem solving when we get our van.................not.
Nice MH.

Aug 27, 2021
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 640
Exp
Hi Drew,

Firstly, give Ozzy a BIG HUG and lots and lots of treat.
but mainly forget the small snags and make as many New Memories for him 🐶

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Not sure what a "stern gland" is, but presumably it is what powers the looks MrsW gives me.
It's the seal around the propshaft that stops the boat being flooded. Packed with grease.

On a recent canal trip I forgot for several days won't say how many turns it needed!!!

Cheers James

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I refer to our first outing of the year as a shakedown trip. No stern gland problems though - can't beat a sail drive. ;) All that shaft alignment malarkey.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We have a list which I print each trip which tells us what we need to do and what we need to take. Eg from fill all food containers, to take disabled blue badge from car. We leave as much as poss in the van, and it can seem a bit overkill. It only takes a moment to print, and then cross things off as done, so we don’t assume each other have put something in the van, to find neither of us actually done so. It works for us. It is also helpful at start of year, as we will have taken out quite a lot of stuff over the winter, so we know what should be there, and don’t have to rely on increasingly fallible memories!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back