Orbea Gain.. An e-bike that looks like.. well, not like an e-bike (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting and stylish e-bike .. at first glance glance hard to tell it's an e-bike ..

watch the video

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/brands/gain-road/

GAIN_ZK_FondoGris_ALTA_fixed-.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure where the motor is but looks like it’s in the rear wheel when most of the new bikes go for the crank motor.
We have Orbea bikes which are primarily made and put together in Spain but with some imported components, so far ours have been very good.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not sure where the motor is but looks like it’s in the rear wheel when most of the new bikes go for the crank motor.
Yes, it's a rear wheel hub drive, which will been used to help disguise that it's actually an e-bike.. it's a very clever design and will appeal to those who want electric power without looking like an e-bike.. they will also need deep pockets.

Orbea are indeed assembled in Spain, and frames will be made in China , or Taiwan , as the case with nearly all but very expensive bespoke hand built frames .. I think the only fame made in the UK is the Brompton.. could be wrong .... Even the frame of my rather expensive Italian carbon frame Bianchi is made in Taiwan.. That's not knocking them, just a statement of fact, they make excellent frames for all the major brands, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Orbea, et al

This is by no means a cheap bike, it uses top quality Shimano components and even without being electric, the bike would cost around £1500 ..

For an e-bike it is not to bad for weight, coming in at just over 13kg .. our Kalkhoffs were 25kg, heavy beasts !! but that's almost twice the weight of a carbon frame road bike I have at 8kg .. so still quite heavy.. there is room for making it lighter.. Carbon frame , lighter components, slimmer wheels tyres etc.. If in the future I were in the market for an e-bike this would be in the one I would look at ..

Considerations..

Battery cannot be taken off to charge in the van while travelling, would need to rig up an extension cable to charge in the garage or bike rack.. also at home, would need power in the shed or bike brought indoors.. Same if touring, would need to be brought into the accommodation for charging overnight .. Battery can only be replaced by dealer.

As with all e-bikes finite distance between charges , depending on how much the assistance is used, terrain, weather etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
What a lovely bike. Wish my Freddie Grubb I raced 55 year ago had only weighed that much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back