options for satnav (for europe) (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
wanting to change my old tom tom and want a satnav for our annual euro trips. not after anything fancy but must have map updates, can anyone point me int the right direction please!

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If you go for Garmin make sure the model has LMT at the end if it. I stands for Lifetime Maps and Traffic.
I don't rate the traffic info very highly but map updates are a must.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They pretty much all produce models that will do what you want. It just comes down to personal preference.

If you're a TomTom fan then stick with TomTom, if you like Garmin then go with them and so on.

If this thread goes on long enough you'll get replies saying that such and such a brand is the best most fantastic you could possibly hope for and you'd be a fool to use anything else and you'll also get replies saying that brand is the Fray Bentos pie of satnavs and you'd be a fool to buy one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
been using the map option on my iPhone this last week whilst in Belgium (in the car this time) and works a treat, need to change the voice if I can as his grates on me, don't know why. I should think with the roaming charges changes it makes it a good option.

Shawn

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
been using the map option on my iPhone this last week whilst in Belgium (in the car this time) and works a treat, need to change the voice if I can as his grates on me, don't know why. I should think with the roaming charges changes it makes it a good option.

Shawn

I use GoogleMaps on my phone if I ever need it on a bike. It works very well, especially when connected to my helmet bluetooth so I get audio instructions.

The thing to be aware of is that it will use data so you need to make sure you have a good enough allowance. I'm not talking about roaming particularly, the same applies in this country. For some people, especially those who choose to have PAYG phones, this might not be a great option.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I use GoogleMaps on my phone if I ever need it on a bike. It works very well, especially when connected to my helmet bluetooth so I get audio instructions.

The thing to be aware of is that it will use data so you need to make sure you have a good enough allowance. I'm not talking about roaming particularly, the same applies in this country. For some people, especially those who choose to have PAYG phones, this might not be a great option.

As you say you would have to watch the amount of data used especially if you have a low alliance package. I was interested to see how much data I used whilst using the iPhone map. Over two days used for approx 5 hours. I checked a couple of days later as they say it takes time to update usage information and had used 40mb. During that time I had also checked my emails a couple of times.

Next time I use it I will tether it to the iPad so its easier to see and hear.

Shawn

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
We had Tomtoms for years but switched to Garmin as they gave better routes for larger vehicles and lifetime free mapping updates. Also looking at manual sats as my Snipe has died.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have the Garmin 760lm and it good but once in a while it takes me some strange routes but get to see different places on the way..! Getting one that you can put your Motorhome dimensions in is a good idea, saves making your Motorhome a convertible...:cool:

Like most satnavs their all Fallible but common sense rules, I may be wrong but I think garmin is favoured for Motorhomes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have just put the CoPilot Caravan app on my phone, it takes size and weight of vehicles so plans the route depending on these parameters so will see how it goes, if it's an improvement on the standard CoPilot that I had it will be very good. Only £40.

Martin

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Maps.me has been used all over the place Morocco, France, Spain, Portugal, is very effective, easy to use, data light and free with a Fray Bentos pie(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back