Opinions, please, on tiny campervan. (1 Viewer)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Far more space in the Romahome than the Bongo. The Romahome is deceptive & a very clever layout. Brilliant for one, passable for two. BB is spot on with his reasoning.

Those that have them, swear by them.

And as usual my old brain 'cell' is only firing on one cylinder. Point number 5 is that Romahomes are rather well screwed together.(y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Are you absolutely sure ? Do measure up before buying something so small you won't enjoy it.

Sometimes small is good Brian, after all we live in a 6m panel van half the time.:D And find it perfect for touring / shopping and economical.
We have a Swiss neighbour on site his N B clou liner its 14tonne 9m long and 3.8m high on a MAN chassis, :eek: and only two of them in it, and he thinks he has the perfect motorhome. :D
He looked at our caravan and camper, and said one big motorhome is better, so we are all different, and Pauline has done her home work and knows what she needs. :whistle: She knows she will enjoy visiting her daughter and staying in her small motorhome. :D Bob.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sometimes small is good Brian, after all we live in a 6m panel van half the time.:D .

That's huge compared to the proposed MH. Ours is 5.6m and good space for us.

I was just trying make sure she does not buy something that might not be comfortable and have all the required facilities. It's up to her now.

Terry has a pretty neat small PVC he can't get rid of, I'm sure much more comfortable than OP is after.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have just bought a swb med roof transit that we will be converting over the next 3 or 4 weekends once we start it---this time I will not be doing it for myself , so to speake but simply building it to a budget / layout most people want? Layout wise it is going to be something I personly hate and would never consider it for myself but hey ho I am assured people will buy this one and at the price -sub 10k- that could well be the deciding factor--once the build starts I will run a normal thread with pics.No rush to start for a couple of weeks and during the week it will depend on weather a lot, if anything gets done at all but once started we are pretty sure 4 weekends on it will see it finished.
HB if interested pm me and it could be built to your own layout;)
terry

Campercoxy

Free Member
Nov 5, 2014
Heacham, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Valentine
Exp
since 2011
hi this motorhome is being sold as a 2002 the base vehicle may be but the motorhome part looks as if it is the much older version prior to 1995.. there are a lot of thse about the cooker is a give away, the newere verions have a stainless steel hob..i have had two 1995 romahomes and they have the much newer upgrated interior, cooker, cab seats in same material as the benches, these look like they have been recovered as most romahome come with draylon type material... be careful, as already mentioned check out the small motorhome forum and avon motorcaravans...lots of people on the smf started out with C15s good luck..

Booboy

Free Member
Mar 11, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
High top
Exp
I have a small moho (2 berth) and I wouldn't want anything much bigger as it is just for myself. It has everything I need for short or long trips.
The advantages of a smaller van are numerous. Easier or cheaper to.... purchase, manoeuvre (great for off the beaten track sites), park, store, clean (inside and out), insure, service etc etc.
Also, I can heartily endorse the advice re. Small Motorhome Forum in the 3rd post.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I agree with Campercoxy, I think this is a much older pod which has been re-furbished inside and moved on to a much newer base Citroen C15. It may well have been done to a good standard - but it may not. Romahome themselves refuse to acknowledge these "cut and shuts" as being true Romahomes regardless of how well they have been done.

I used to have a 1991 C15 Romahome Hytop and the inside of this one is the same so I suspect the pod is over 20 years old - so no, it isn't worth what they are asking.

As for the size issue - I often wish I still had the C15, it was so much more practical than the van I have now. Plenty of space for one person to camp in. I had quite a few long trips in it.

I recommend a visit to Ant at Avon Motorcaravans near Bristol, he is a Romahome expert and has a quite a few in stock which you could look at.

I also concur re www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum - there you would be able to get lots of advice re Romahomes and other small campervans/motorhomes.

PS Bongos are very heavy on fuel, Romahomes are not!

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Huge, huge thanks! Ask for info and opinions here and you get well looked after!
Terry---sent you a pm. Thanks. :)

People who said the vehicle I went to see is a join up of 2 -----that would never have occurred to me but when I saw it yesterday I thought the habitation bit looked much older than 02. Couldn't put my finger on what was wrong--it just didn't feel right. Engine sounded a bit louder and " ropier" than I'd have liked so I made my excuses and left. Now I know why it didn't feel right.

Thanks everyone. (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Glad you have gathered some useful info.

By the way, we have probably been bending the rules somewhat by linking the the Small Motorhome Forum, but I would defend it as the correct thing to have done in this thread.

No matter what motorhome you have, from the smallest camper to the largest tag axle, you can't afford not to be part of Motorhome Fun.

If you have, or are considering having a Romahome, you cannot afford not to belong to the SMF as well. It is the source of information on them - better even than the owners club.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I agree with Campercoxy, I think this is a much older pod which has been re-furbished inside and moved on to a much newer base Citroen C15. It may well have been done to a good standard - but it may not. Romahome themselves refuse to acknowledge these "cut and shuts" as being true Romahomes regardless of how well they have been done.

I used to have a 1991 C15 Romahome Hytop and the inside of this one is the same so I suspect the pod is over 20 years old - so no, it isn't worth what they are asking.

As for the size issue - I often wish I still had the C15, it was so much more practical than the van I have now. Plenty of space for one person to camp in. I had quite a few long trips in it.

I recommend a visit to Ant at Avon Motorcaravans near Bristol, he is a Romahome expert and has a quite a few in stock which you could look at.

I also concur re www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/forum - there you would be able to get lots of advice re Romahomes and other small campervans/motorhomes.

PS Bongos are very heavy on fuel, Romahomes are not!

Agreed x 10: On our tiny petrol 1125cc we would get 45mpg, on a diesel we hired we consistently got 55mpg (tank to tank). Both were hitops.(y)

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Update. Looks like problem solved.
Terry has a van that he's tried out and is more than happy with mechanically. He's going to convert it, giving me a much more useable space than anything I've seen.
Couldn't sleep last night, I was so excited at the thought of a new camper van!

What would I do without Funster help????????

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Have only seen a couple of pics of Terrys conversions, but they look really professional, I'm sure he'll do a great job for you. Result!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back