Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone

This thread is going to be a long shot.

I have a friend Mick who is a full timer with two dogs, he has a small engineering shop down Southampton Hamble somewhere during the winter months he parks at the back of his shop, and from April he books a season pitch at the Forest camping; the last three years he’s been at Ocknell.

Now this gentleman is getting on in years and the place where his engineering shop is; is being closed down in early October and as he only rents the place he has to go; the company who own the site are going to redevelop it.

Now with the Forest camping; they in their infinite wisdom are not going to open up at all this year, so Mick has nowhere to go

With him getting on in life he must be 70+; he has decided to retire, between you and me I think he should have retired long ago, but fair play to him for keeping active and working.

Now here is the long shot does anyone know of a place round Southampton or Eastleigh where he could park up on a rough piece of land or a campsite which will allow long term occupancy, the longer the better. I’ve tried private campsites and ccc club sites round here but they don’t want to know.
Or any other solution you might come up with would be welcomed I'm sure.
I haven't told him I'm doing this, but I feel so sorry for Mick I can't think of what else to do.
Best Wishes Tony

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Very thoughtful of you, Tony.
Don't some private sites have 'seasonal' pitches?
Maybe he could swap between CL / CS sites?
Could he be a warden at a site?

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Good luck to him mate, a sad thing at his age, but you never know there may be a silver lining,(y)to you for helping him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi Everyone

I have a friend Mick who is a full timer with two dogs, he has a small engineering shop down Southampton Hamble somewhere during the winter months he parks at the back of his shop, and from April he books a season pitch at the Forest camping; the last three years he’s been at Ocknell.

Now this gentleman is getting on in years and the place where his engineering shop is; is being closed down in early October and as he only rents the place he has to go; the company who own the site are going to redevelop it.

Now with the Forest camping; they in their infinite wisdom are not going to open up at all this year, so Mick has nowhere to go

With him getting on in life he must be 70+; he has decided to retire, between you and me I think he should have retired long ago, but fair play to him for keeping active and working.

Now here is the long shot does anyone know of a place round Southampton or Eastleigh where he could park up on a rough piece of land or a campsite which will allow long term occupancy, the longer the better. I’ve tried private campsites and ccc club sites round here but they don’t want to know.
I haven't told him I'm doing this, but I feel so sorry for Mick I can't think of what else to do.
Best Wishes Tony
It may not be what he wants but due to his age he would qualify for a retirement flat from the council. As he is in a motorhome he would be considered homeless and get emergency help.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Don't some private sites have 'seasonal' pitches?
Maybe he could swap between CL / CS sites?
Could he be a warden at a site?
Hi Spriddler I've been phoning round private sites and checked a lot of CL's but he would rather be a bit more at one place than moving every 4 or 7 days, I did suggest CL's to him but he was not keen. The private sites round here which I've called do not have seasonal pitches. Never thought of him being a warden I might put that to him and see what his response is.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It may not be what he wants but due to his age he would qualify for a retirement flat from the council. As he is in a motorhome he would be considered homeless and get emergency help.
I think that would be like a red rag to a bull LOL but there is no harm in me mentioning it to him.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Good luck to him mate, a sad thing at his age, but you never know there may be a silver lining,(y)to you for helping him.
You never know, I do have a few premium bonds LOL
I've known this chap years, he's such a nice chap, I do hope something turns up.
Best Wishes Tony

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Definately his best option at his time of life

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hi Spriddler I've been phoning round private sites and checked a lot of CL's but he would rather be a bit more at one place than moving every 4 or 7 days, I did suggest CL's to him but he was not keen.
I can understand that. I'm 75 and sufficiently active (foolish?) to ride motorbikes, cut grass and do domestic repairs/maintenance etc. so working as a warden now would be o.k. but I suspect your pal, like me, is unlikely to get any younger so some forward planning is necessary;) .

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I guess he needs a space on a farm,nicely private and tucked away. Those places are probably often found through word of mouth,which means getting out and and about to villages and town edges and asking around in pubs etc.when they open(soon).
An alternative would be to go bold and dramatic and get the local press involved......makes a good story: Pensioner left homeless as property re-developed.......etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
out round the Hamble area, parking up spaces are like gold dust with the boating fraternity

Has he thought of taking on a night watchman job at one of the boatyards or marinas?

Can't think of anywhere up that way that does year round permanent pitches but know one near Bournemouth airport

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Has he thought of taking on a night watchman job at one of the boatyards or marinas?
Thanks for that, I doubt that has even entered his mind but it's a thought, your right finding a spot round Hamble is like finding gold dust. I'll mention about a security job and see what he says.
I don't think he will want to go down Bournemouth way but I might ask how far he is prepared to go, I just assumed "my fault" that he would want to stay round here.
Best Wishes Tony

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
He could try the trading estates an ask firms tell them he will keep an eye out for trouble for free parking and a little bit of electricity and ability to MT his black tank. Nothing lost if no success. Good luck

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
He could try the trading estates an ask firms tell them he will keep an eye out for trouble for free parking and a little bit of electricity and ability to MT his black tank. Nothing lost if no success. Good luck
Hi Vipar now that's a thought, I'm sure some companies would jump at the chance of getting cheap security like someone just being there might put the potential thief of, nice one.
Best Wishes Tony.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
reminds me of a chap I met years ago. He rolled up to one of our building sites asking for any casual work. Back then we were not tied to only having card holders, so gave him a couple of days labouring. Next morning I was first on site as usual and there he was sweeping up some rubbish and skipping it. The site was spotless and kettle already on. Turns out he had slept in his tatty old van on site and was glad of the opportunity

He was a great labourer and was one of those old fashioned drifters that would never commit to working full time. He saw the job on site to completion and then moved on to pastures new with some extra cash in his pocket

No onsite theft or vandalism on that site, and it was always spotless

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Rush Croft Farm? Rural (was watching doe with fawn in next door field a few nights ago) yet short walk to shops, GP surgery, pharmacy.
2D3EFE9D-B19B-448C-A304-799F5A22457C.png

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Good People
I've been in touch with some campsites which have seasonal pitches, but they say they are for people who come during the week for a few days or the weekend now and then and not for residency i.e. staying there everyday of the season,
I can't seem to get a reasonable answer why not if they have paid for the season for use of the pitch what difference is it to them if he uses it for the season he's paid for. Is there some sort of law which I haven't heard about; stopping campsites from doing this?
Best Wishes Tony

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Everyone

Best Wishes Tony

My chum who passed away at Christmas lived for about two years on the Sunnydale camping park in Netley in what is now our Hymer . Stella the owner is helpful and understanding. However, they know how to charge...
John

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
My chum who passed away at Christmas lived for about two years on the Sunnydale camping park in Netley in what is now our Hymer . Stella the owner is helpful and understanding. However, they know how to charge...
John
Hi John
Thanks for that; but it was the Sunnydale camping park at Netley who gave me the reaction that he could not live every day on the campsite that is not what seasonal pitches are for, or that is what the lady said not sure if it was Stella.
Perhaps I need to talk to someone else there. do you know who your chum arranged it with?
Best Wishes Tony

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi John
Thanks for that; but it was the Sunnydale camping park at Netley who gave me the reaction that he could not live every day on the campsite that is not what seasonal pitches are for, or that is what the lady said not sure if it was Stella.
Perhaps I need to talk to someone else there. do you know who your chum arranged it with?
Best Wishes Tony

I'll speak with his widow ASAP, but as Stella is the owner then she is going to be the contact. Her husband does as he is told...
John

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I think you will find that councils are clamping down heavily on all sorts of long term camping nowadays, I looked at buying a log cabin on a holiday site that was open 11 months of the year, and was told by the site owners that not only did I have to have a property that I was already paying council tax on, but the local welsh council were bringing in a law that only allowed you to stay onsite for 28 days at a time and that they were having electronic gates fitted that wouldn’t allow you back in once you’d done your 28 days:oops:
To many folk selling up and living on holiday sites and not paying council tax:unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When you ask for a seasonal pitch you are falling foul of the 28 day law. You might have more luck asking for a pitch for 28 days on two sites alternating between them.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
When you ask for a seasonal pitch you are falling foul of the 28 day law. You might have more luck asking for a pitch for 28 days on two sites alternating between them.
Hi Lenny That is a though, I just assumed if you had paid for the season you could stay for the season, what a stupid assumption. What you suggest might be a solution but again I assume that Mick would have to pay for two seasonal pitches; which I don't think is fair. But what do I know life is never fair is it?
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Could pay for 2 seasonal pitches of just book 28 day blocks but seasonal pitches might work out cheaper.
Hi Lenny
That is a possibility, but from what I understand buying a seasonal pitch is cheaper as that pitch is guaranteed sold for the season, where as a 28day booking would incur the normal rate for the time of year.
It's something to look into as I myself don't know as I've never been onsite for a season or even 28days.
Anyway I do appreciate your input to this thread.
Thanks Tony

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Thinking aloud would paying for a pitch be more expensive than social housing in the preffered locality.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi John
Best Wishes Tony

PM sent. No go I'm afraid.
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back