One for the Tech's - is this a silly question (1 Viewer)

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hi i am just thinking out aloud, so please humour me. i would like an inverter to power hair dryer and other bits.is there any reason why i couldn't use one of these from the inverter to the MH connection to PSU to power all sockets (Obviously would not use all sockets in one go) I obviously would turn off battery charger, space heater. and just leave the sockets on. my rationale behind this is i do not want to be restricted to where the live power points are, if that makes sense

s-l640.jpg

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you do that your van will think it’s on mains power and your appliances will default to mains ie fridge heating hot water etc unless you turn fridge to gas etc amongst other things

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
why not just have an extension cable for the hairdryer.. ?

easier than remembering to turn off stuff .. and if you forget say the heater, dead battery in no time

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Our inverter is installed internally under the sofa and I've extended it, also internally, to a socket mounted on the end board so it can be used without lifting up the base. As suggested I use an extension lead from there if I want to power something up top, usually our coffee machine.

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I think there are a few posts on here about using hairdryers which is why we have to have ehu!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It would work with a generator but not an Inverter. You would have to switch of the Battery Charger, Fridge and the Electronics. So you might as well just connect it to a battery

Typical hair dryer on high heat will use about 1500w .. 1500 / 12 = 125A .. Normal MH habitation battery is 100A with a usable capacity of 50A so the habitation battery will be at risk after about 20 minutes. You then have to work out how you are going to get the 50A back in the battery.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Stick your head out the window and get hubby to drive round for a bit :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No, that’s not the way to do it.

The simplest way is to wire-in sockets which are dedicated to the inverter. Alternatively, you could swap (some or all of) your sockets to feed from the inverter rather than incoming EHU. The size of your inverter would limit what you could run off the sockets connected to it.

What might you ever want to run from your mains sockets (power in Watts)?

What do you plan to run off an inverter (power in Watts)?

What size inverter are you planning to install (power in Watts)?

I added sockets of a different type from the inverter and left the original ones as EHU-fed, so that they are easily identifiable. The sockets were cheaper and easier to source than trying to match what was already present. As an alternative, you could fit a heavy (13+A) two-way switch to select power from either EHU or inverter for your sockets. Putting your own sockets

Do not be ambitious with what you want from an inverter unless you have a big battery bank. Even large banks have a finite capacity, unlike the mains.

OP
OP
TCG

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks everyone... I did say I was thinking out loud:)

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
As others have said, you would have to turn everything else off especially the battery charger otherwise as you are taking power out of the batteries via the inverter to use your appliance the battery charger would then try and recharge the batteries via power from the inverter! Batteries would soon die! Just fit the inverter and use an extension lead but remember again as already mentioned that wattage is divided by 12 and not 240 to get the amperage so beef up the battery bank if possible and use any inverter wisely.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I ran a lead from my 1800w inverter to my electrical locker, fitted a socket to the end and now I simply plug the ehu lead into it, turn the inverter on and we have 230v power to all sockets, a switch turns the charger off and the fridge is set to gas.

OP
OP
TCG

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I ran a lead from my 1800w inverter to my electrical locker, fitted a socket to the end and now I simply plug the ehu lead into it, turn the inverter on and we have 230v power to all sockets, a switch turns the charger off and the fridge is set to gas.

Which is what i thought of doing - switch all these off - put fridge on Gas - and have existing power points running from inverter
upload_2018-8-9_9-34-34.png

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
It would work with a generator but not an Inverter. You would have to switch of the Battery Charger, Fridge and the Electronics. So you might as well just connect it to a battery

Typical hair dryer on high heat will use about 1500w .. 1500 / 12 = 125A .. Normal MH habitation battery is 100A with a usable capacity of 50A so the habitation battery will be at risk after about 20 minutes. You then have to work out how you are going to get the 50A back in the battery.
And that means the wires from your battery to the inverter would need to be capable of carrying 125A, which is an awful lot

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You have sockets nicely wired up in your motorhome so why not use them? Makes more sense to me than trailing an extension lead across the van with a single or double socket on the end of it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I just have a manual switch to put sockets either to mains or inverter. Many have an automatic changeover but I find mine more versatile. If I have only 4a hookup I can run the charger fridge and water heater from it while running the sockets from the inverter so doesn't trip the bollard.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I just have a manual switch to put sockets either to mains or inverter. Many have an automatic changeover but I find mine more versatile. If I have only 4a hookup I can run the charger fridge and water heater from it while running the sockets from the inverter so doesn't trip the bollard.

I ran a separate mains lead from my 50amp battery charger to a socket in my electric locker, so I can plug my spare extension lead in it and the ehu, I then fitted a mains changeover switch to my charger so it's only supplied from that socket, I can now run the inverter as in my first post without any worry about tripping a low amperage Ehu post. Hope that makes sense.:)

DSCN5630.jpg
DSCN5632.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back