One for the sparkeys out there (1 Viewer)

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
When my motorhome is plugged into mains everything is ok ecept when you switch the water heater on then the house electrics blow. Have checked fuses in van all ok only the house electrics affected. ????

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The house may have a faster blow breaker than the m/h. Mine has.
I'd suspect a short or fault in the wiring or most likely in the heater element.
If you have a test meter you can use it to check for a fault WITH THE EHU MAINS PLUG REMOVED FROM THE M/H SOCKET - E.G. COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
I agree with Spriddler, the most likely cause is corrosion of the heating element.
I stand to be corrected, but my thoughts are this, There should be two terminals on the heater element fitting, they should be a closed circuit, if you do a circuit test (with the EHU disconnected of course, ) with one probe on a terminal and the other on the metal casing of the water heater, you should not get a circuit, unless, the element is broke, usually with a split in it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If its the RCD main switch blowing you have a boiler fault.
If its an MCB tripping it's overloaded.
Is the hookup socket seperate or do you plug into the house sockets?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The RCD is the one with a 'test' button on it. An MCB doesn't have a test button.

If the insulation has broken down on the heater element, and there's leakage to earth from it, then the RCD will trip out. It protects against electric shock.

If the insulation has broken down so that there's a short circuit, and excessive current flow, then the MCB will trip. Either way, it's likely you'll need to replace the heater element.

I'd guess it's an earth leakage fault, maybe there's no RCD fitted in the MH, and the RCD in the house has tripped. Does it have a test button?

It's a good idea to have an RCD fitted to the MH, while you are getting the heater element fixed. Otherwise you are relying on the RCD on the hookup post on a campsite, of unknown dodginess. All modern MHs have an RCD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
You can’t check for earth leakage with a multimeter, you need an “earth fault loop impedance tester”, but as already been mention I would agree the element is probably U/S and requires replacement

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I'll put money on that you have just overloaded the circuit that your EHU is on. Try an extension into the house and make sure everything in the house is off

If it still trips the switch then I'll agree its the element, if it works ok with that its just too much for the EHU circuit (whatever that is)

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
The only way you can rule out the element, one way or the other, is by using an earth fault loop impedance tester, a megger

Upvote 0

Daniel. M

Free Member
May 19, 2020
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090DF
Exp
Getting there 🤫
By and large the kitchen ring main has the highest load capacity, try plugging the ehu into one of the kitchen sockets, if it still trips then likely to be a fault on the motorhome

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Surely it is still on a plug with a 13amp fuse. I wonder if there is some odd return path through the 12v system that is disturbing the trip. I know using a 240v soldering iron when plugged into the van's 240v socket can give you a belt if you solder onto a live 12v lead. Not sure why, I now always unplug the EHU and use an extension lead when soldering in the van. I dimly remember it may be 120v shock as the 240v mains runs +120v/-120v around the neutral, or something like that.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely it is still on a plug with a 13amp fuse
A 13a fuse will only pop on overload.
That's the reason for domestic consumer units have at least an RCD main switch.... To protect against shock if touching a live wire or faulty appliance where a fuse won't blow. . .

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I was just thinking that if I am on a campsite hook up and its only 4a. If i turn on the water heater by mistake it trips the Consumer unit doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I dimly remember it may be 120v shock as the 240v mains runs +120v/-120v around the neutral, or something like that.
Domestic circuits are not wired like that in the UK, or indeed in Europe. I believe some circuits in the US are, giving 120V for some appliances and 240V for higher power appliances. Some people, including me, have come across this rarely on Spanish campsites. But almost always, the neutral is at or close to ground, and the live goes +240V/-240V.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I was just thinking that if I am on a campsite hook up and its only 4a. If i turn on the water heater by mistake it trips the Consumer unit doesn't it?
It's certainly one of the possibilities. The MCB would trip in that case. That's why we're asking if it's an MCB or RCD that is tripping.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
AND THE OP

has said what in response to the above?

Sorry why do do folks ask Q's and not say if sorted, still a problem, any more ideas, THANKS!

Guess I'm missing being out and about in the MH, sick as a parrot of it sat there, wasting away.

Think it's "Cabin Fever"

Just to add having replaced the elements in the Truma 6E twice. It's odds on one of the elements has blown and is short to earth.
Has the op checked it works on GAS with electrics off. If no hook-up connected the system cant trip on earth fault or overload.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I'll put money on that you have just overloaded the circuit that your EHU is on. Try an extension into the house and make sure everything in the house is off

If it still trips the switch then I'll agree its the element, if it works ok with that its just too much for the EHU circuit (whatever that is)
An RCD does not trip on an overload only an earth fault.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We had a similar discussion the other day in regard to RCD's in motorhomes. Suffice to say that if the motorhome RCD is 30 milliamp and the supply RCD is also 30 milliamp either one could trip as there is no discrimination. Many campsites have locked electrical enclosures which is a problem when the office is closed.
If the OP leaves the heater off when connecting the EHU and the supply does not fail then clearly the heater is at fault. The easiest way to test the element would be a continuity test (with power disconnected) across the terminals.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
You are partially correct, but you can get an RCBO trips out on overload and earth fault current, basically directly swappable with mcb’s
We were talking about RCD's so I was completely right

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
We had a similar discussion the other day in regard to RCD's in motorhomes. Suffice to say that if the motorhome RCD is 30 milliamp and the supply RCD is also 30 milliamp either one could trip as there is no discrimination. Many campsites have locked electrical enclosures which is a problem when the office is closed.
If the OP leaves the heater off when connecting the EHU and the supply does not fail then clearly the heater is at fault. The easiest way to test the element would be a continuity test (with power disconnected) across the terminals.
That would only tell you if the element had continuity or not IT WOULD NOT TELL YOU IF THERE WAS AN EARTH FAULT

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Dont know what a RCD is all i know is the house electrics switch off and the fuses trip.
RCD = Residual Current Device and it is designed to operate under an earth fault condition i.e. neutral to earth or positive to earth, but not neutral to positive (that would be a dead short and would trip the MCB).
Is it just one switch that trips out the complete electrics in the house? If so it should have a small test button on the front.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You can’t check for earth leakage with a multimeter, you need an “earth fault loop impedance tester”, but as already been mention I would agree the element is probably U/S and requires replacement
you may not be able to do the full test but getting a circuit from one terminal to the shell of the tank does tell you there a a break in the element ive been testing immmersions that way for years

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back