One For The More Experienced Motorhomers (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I invested in two 5 tonn bottle jacks, i would not trust one supplied with van,blocks of wood under jacking points and jack which allow suspension to drop.
Also good for when parked up on very uneven ground to level van.

I invested in 4 hydraulic jacks so I just press the button and all 6 wheels are off the floor, didnt want to mention it though as you might have though I was showing off :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
something to remember when following the jacking up advice given in motorhome handbooks is that [in most cases] it will have been written with the BASE VEHICLE in mind ie fiat ducato chassis and cab platform. as dave newall has already pointed out this does not always take into account the rear wheel arch overhang caused by some motorhome bodies. in reality, the FIAT scissor jack that came with my hymer is pointless for use on the rear wheels. i attempted a wheel change on the m 25 last year and even with a block of wood to try and lessen the gap to the chassis, it toppled and trapped the loosened wheel ! a bloody nightmare at 11pm in the pitch black ! the breakdown guy that i got out to help me said this happens all the time. his method was a trolley jack under the rear axle [not alko by the way] to give enough wheel clearance off the tarmac ,he then replaced the jack with a axle stand and then moved the jack [ along with a block of wood] to the chassis jacking point and lifted the body thus giving the required wheel arch clearance needed . regards garry

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I invested in two 5 tonn bottle jacks, i would not trust one supplied with van,blocks of wood under jacking points and jack which allow suspension to drop.
Also good for when parked up on very uneven ground to level van.

Once again base vehicle supplier jack, next to useless once the converted motorhome adds the extra weight of the habitation body.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back