One battery fits all power tools? (1 Viewer)

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Most of my electrical tools are old and i'm on the look out for replacements over time, probably with a one battery fits all range, i'm looking at Ryobi with their One+ stuff, they do a special offer if you buy your first tool along with a battery and charger.

Loads of others that do the same type of thing, Makita, Bosch, Parkside/Lidl etc but just wondering which maker you think is best or which ones to avoid before I commit. Its for basic DIY and garden use...

Pete
Hi I went with ryobi great choice of tools and good prices perfect for all DIY jobs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For grown up tools it's got to be Makita.
For kids quality tools...Aldi/Lidl.

Against my own advice I just bought an 18v angle grinder and impact screwdrive from an Amazon 3rd party seller....£80 Inc 2 x 3amp batteries.
Impact driver didn't work, new one 3 days later and told to bin the broken one.
Stripped it, no fault found but hard to turn by hand.
Rebuilt and now works perfectly.
Obviously a misalignment between motor and gearbox.
Both tools use Makita batteries

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
For grown up tools it's got to be Makita.
For kids quality tools...Aldi/Lidl.

Against my own advice I just bought an 18v angle grinder and impact screwdrive from an Amazon 3rd party seller....£80 Inc 2 x 3amp batteries.
Impact driver didn't work, new one 3 days later and told to bin the broken one.
Stripped it, no fault found but hard to turn by hand.
Rebuilt and now works perfectly.
Obviously a misalignment between motor and gearbox.
Both tools use Makita batteries
I bet the battery and charger wouldn't come to much less than that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all your replies and the broad range of recommendations.

I decided to go For Ryobi in the end. (y)

Pete
There is an adaptor to fit the Bosch Professional 18v batteries to the Ryobi .....

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Ryobi 18v for me, great for most jobs and garden stuff. If I was in trade I'd probably go Milwaukee. Then again Dewalt take some beating.......

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My first cordless drill was a Bosh. It was heavy but seemed indestructible until I left in a workshop during a very cold spell of minus figures. It wouldn’t charge after that and I couldn’t find a new battery so I swapped to a dewalt.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
"Cordless aren't man enough for most jobs if used in anger."

'Used in anger' in the sense that you'd need a lot of batteries if you had to do a full shift just removing stubborn lorry wheel nuts. OK for installing the wheel nuts on the Volvo assembly line but not really cost effective or necessary in a grubby home garage.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
'Used in anger' in the sense that you'd need a lot of batteries if you had to do a full shift just removing stubborn lorry wheel nuts. OK for installing the wheel nuts on the Volvo assembly line but not really cost effective or necessary in a grubby home garage.

I honestly don't understand your point sorry.

Are you saying they don't work and aren't man enough?
Are you saying they can't last a full shift?
Or are you saying the cost too much for the home user?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I honestly don't understand your point sorry.

Are you saying they don't work and aren't man enough?
Are you saying they can't last a full shift?
Or are you saying the cost too much for the home user?
All of the above. It is far more cost effective to buy a collection of budget corded tools to suit most DIY jobs. If you can afford a collection of premium branded cordless tools and sets of batteries then crack on but it's overkill for most DIY situations.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
All of the above. It is far more cost effective to buy a collection of budget corded tools to suit most DIY jobs. If you can afford a collection of premium branded cordless tools and sets of batteries then crack on but it's overkill for most DIY situations.
All of the above?
We will have to agree to disagree.
They are most certainly man enough for most jobs. That is why they have taken off and corded tool sales have plumetted.
A study by market analyst Technavio showed that in 2022 cordless tools accounted for 81.1% of sales in the UK professional power tools market, with corded tools making up just 18.9%. As recently as 2018 that split was 50-50, according to the European Power Tool Association. One of the fastest-growing power tool brands saw an overwhelming 99% of sales come from its battery-powered range.

Seems 81.1% of professional power tool users disagree with you.

Can't last a full shift? That is why you have spare batteries. I manage with 3 batteries. Even my grinder which guzzles juice can manage on 3 batteries for almost continuous work. 4 would see me over the line and that is with a regular charger not a high speed one.

Cost too much for the home user? Depends on the home user. I love my set of Ryobi tools built up over a few years and find them invaluable.
I do not miss trailing extensions leads about or trying to get the chord out of the way of the job. I MUCH prefer battery tools to corded ones.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
All of the above?
We will have to agree to disagree.
They are most certainly man enough for most jobs. That is why they have taken off and corded tool sales have plumetted.

Seems 81.1% of professional power tool users disagree with you.

Can't last a full shift? That is why you have spare batteries. I manage with 3 batteries. Even my grinder which guzzles juice can manage on 3 batteries for almost continuous work. 4 would see me over the line and that is with a regular charger not a high speed one.

Cost too much for the home user? Depends on the home user. I love my set of Ryobi tools built up over a few years and find them invaluable.
I do not miss trailing extensions leads about or trying to get the chord out of the way of the job. I MUCH prefer battery tools to corded ones.
I'll see if the cordless drills last the day with my 2 batteries on rotation. I need to put a shift in building a stud wall frame but I suspect the ancient B&D corded drill will need to come out later for the last of the 4" screws. The chop saw, circular saw, floor saw and SDS drill are all corded so will defo last the day :giggle:

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
There is a big advantage in batteries versus corded from the saftey aspect. From the professional point of view construct sites encourage the use of battery tools and from the user no more pat testing.
Being a retired tradesmen I never found a task that I could not complete without the use of corded tools.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'll see if the cordless drills last the day with my 2 batteries on rotation. I need to put a shift in building a stud wall frame but I suspect the ancient B&D corded drill will need to come out later for the last of the 4" screws. The chop saw, circular saw, floor saw and SDS drill are all corded so will defo last the day :giggle:
Until the sparky pulls the breaker to do 1st fit in the room you have just finished doing.
Or the plumber puts a nail through a cable.
Or some spotty oik trips over your cable and you have to drive them to hospital because they bust their wrist and can't drive.

My original trade (which my dad forced me to get because computers are a fad and you need a proper trade) was as a sparky. I have seen the above 3 examples.

PS: even for my DIY I have 3 batteries. 2 does not do it for a full day.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It's interesting to see how tribal folk get with their power tools and how dismissive some are about other brands. I wonder whether so many would rather spend many hundreds of pounds on kit that will only be used occasionally when the average DIYer would get the job done with much cheaper kit.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Until the sparky pulls the breaker to do 1st fit in the room you have just finished doing.
Or some spotty oik trips over your cable and you have to drive them to hospital because they bust their wrist and can't drive.

My original trade (which my dad forced me to get because computers are a fad and you need a proper trade) was as a sparky. I have seen the above 3 examples.

Also, and not forgetting the huge " bun fight " over 110v power rights and privileges on large sights, where every time you start a tool, a big shout goes out somewhere on site as they lose their power :swear::swear:
Mike.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It's interesting to see how tribal folk get with their power tools and how dismissive some are about other brands. I wonder whether so many would rather spend many hundreds of pounds on kit that will only be used occasionally when the average DIYer would get the job done with much cheaper kit.
I think it's a question of peoples personal philosophy. Personally, I endeavour to carry out any given task with as little outlay as is possible having carried out some research,whilst still completing the task to a satisfactory level. With others it's what's the dearest, I'll have that because it must be the best,and it'll save me time in doing research, and quite often that's a reasonable philosophy, but not always. IMO. " cat----- pigeons" go and get puss. ;)
Mike.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

All the reasons I don't let the trades anywhere near my house. DIY all the way so only have myself to blame.
At least the drill batteries just about got there but that was only for screwing things in. Everything else was corded so no problems (except the laser level whose batteries packed in 🤔)

IMG_20240114_152839912.jpg

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I took the Ryobi route. Very pleased with all the products. In the MH, on tour, I use the vacuum, fans, soldering iron ( for inevitable tap repairs ) and the brilliant tyre inflator. Just take one 5.0aH battery and a charger.
Is this the tyre inflator you have? I was thinking about getting one, I need something that will cope with tyres on the motorhome. this says it goes up to 150 psi.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
Just to add that I more or less standardised on Makita over 12 years ago when Screwfix had an offer for an "own badge" drill driver with two batteries.
I have another drill/driver and an impact driver which use the same batteries and meet most of my DIY needs.
However they use 18V Ni-Cd batteries which are ancient history now.

I have a Lidl drill/driver for the MH/caravan/MH again with old style batteries.

I have a Lidl circular saw which takes the same batteries (IIRC).

I have just bought a Lidl pressure washer which takes the new style batteries, along with two batteries and a charging unit.

If you keep tools for a long time then the batteries go out of fashion and you have to create a new stock.

I like cordless tools, but I also note that my mains powered tools still use the same plug and still use the same voltage and so are more "future proof".

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Had most makes over the years ,Aldi WERE awful,Parkside (Einhell) WERE indestructable
About 3 years ago just before starting to build the property we now live in I bought a full set of parkside impact driver not very good much heavier less powerfull than my 10 year old Makita, 2 gear hammer drill great,cordless circular saw good but must have as new blade, cordless SDS fairly good,angle grinder superb, Lidl mains angle grinders as good as any brand name Aldi didn't last long before speed control failed fitted new on off switch spindle lock broke shortly after motor burnt out ,My opinion best value for heavy and long use Makita best for serious DIY Lidl.My experience of Ryobi from around 10 yrs ago they were terrible cheap nasty .Bosh were good a while ago.De Walt still trading on the name very fashionable on site very over rated and overpriced but quite pretty 😍

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you keep tools for a long time then the batteries go out of fashion and you have to create a new stock.
Not with Ryobi, that is why I went with them. They keep the same battery connectors from NiCad, NiMH through to Li.
The only thing you have to add is a new charger specific to the chemistry. But your new Li battery will work in your old NiCad ryobi tools as far as I am aware.
You can use your NiCad batteries in new tools for as long as the batteries last.

I don't foresee us having another chemistry change. But the big boys like DeWalt etc do seem to change the battery pack connector with alarming regularity.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Not with Ryobi, that is why I went with them. They keep the same battery connectors from NiCad, NiMH through to Li.
The only thing you have to add is a new charger specific to the chemistry. But your new Li battery will work in your old NiCad ryobi tools as far as I am aware.
You can use your NiCad batteries in new tools for as long as the batteries last.

I don't foresee us having another chemistry change. But the big boys like DeWalt etc do seem to change the battery pack connector with alarming regularity.
Something I found when trying to get a new battery for one of my Makita tools is they even do short runs for specific promotion deals with specific retailers,Mine was part of a drill and Impact driver with 2 batteries and charger and that particular battery only fitted that set as sold only by B&Q for a few months
I ended up getting new cells and rebuilding an original battery 5 years ago tools still going strong,most people would have had no choice to to bin perfectly good tools because batteries were unobtainable

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Something I found when trying to get a new battery for one of my Makita tools is they even do short runs for specific promotion deals with specific retailers,Mine was part of a drill and Impact driver with 2 batteries and charger and that particular battery only fitted that set as sold only by B&Q for a few months
I ended up getting new cells and rebuilding an original battery 5 years ago tools still going strong,most people would have had no choice to to bin perfectly good tools because batteries were unobtainable
That is disgusting behaviour :(

There are people with 20 year old Ryobi kits (Old blue) using a mix of nicad on new tools and Li battery on old tools. That was the biggest selling point for me when I got into Ryobi.
I didn't realise it got as bad as you say here though.

NRM

Oct 16, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096DF
Exp
Is this the tyre inflator you have? I was thinking about getting one, I need something that will cope with tyres on the motorhome. this says it goes up to 150 psi.
I have the that Ryobi tire inflator/compressor and it deals wit my motorhome tyres without any problems

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Makita for me for quality
Aldi for battery tat.
5" Makita grinder
9" Makita grinder
Makita battery drill/driver