RCRich

Free Member
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD690G
Exp
Hi there

I’m fairly new to motorhoming and have a query regarding habitation doors fitted to offside. We have recently ordered a new Bürstner motorhome. We were aware that the hab door is on ‘the wrong side’ but the only information regarding downside of this, was stepping out of door onto traffic side. I personally didn’t see this as much of an issue.
However, since ordering motorhome, another issue occurred to me which I hadn’t considered. When on pitch, the awning is obviously on same side as door, so this is where you would sit out. Does this mean I would have to locate motorhome nose in, so that my outdoor area is on same side as everyone else? With a forward lounge area, then my main view would be through windscreen. Parked nose in probably means a view of hedges? Do camp sites stipulate which side to use for external space?
Your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We also have hab door on the offside. It’s never been a problem on CMC or CCC or private sights.

On the contrary,more than one site manager has said to park whichever way round we want.

You just need to make sure you are the safe distance from your neighbours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Nearly all European vans are that way round, never been a problem in the 11years we’ve had ours. On parking up nearly half of them on the wrong side. don’t worry about it.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have offside hab door, no issues whatever. just be careful if you breakdown particularly on a motorway, exit via the passenger cab door.

CMC sites are now more interested that the corner of the van is on the peg; they dont seem to be concerned if thats a front or rear corner.

I have only been on 1 site in the past few years that has insisted on parking in a specific way and that was reversed in... even though that created a problem for us. they were insistent it was to comply with fire regs.....

I have read of and seen a comment on a web page for a site near Weston that will not take vans with hab doors on the offside. cant remember the site now as it would not be one I would want to go to with that attitude.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
The CMC‘s rule is that either near side front to the peg or offside rear....if there’s a site specific rule it’s in the paperwork they give you on arrival.
Exactly. So we have to nose in nearside to peg so that the door is to the right as you look at the pitch. That means they get a van/awning, van/awning, van/awning lineup.

We were once allowed to tail in but we were on a pitch that had nothing either side.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have read of and seen a comment on a web page for a site near Weston that will not take vans with hab doors on the offside. cant remember the site now as it would not be one I would want to go to with that attitude.
yes I just posted the same. I have remembered it was Home farm holiday park.You wouldn't want to go on there even if they let you. Every time I've driven past tents were in amongst vehicles. People mustlike it though as it was always packed solid .

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Many commercial sites in this country have pitches with 10ft of grass to the nearside. So you would be competing for space with the caravan and awning beside you and they tend to be very territorial. Better to use small sites, CLs or better still rallies

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Exactly. So we have to nose in nearside to peg so that the door is to the right as you look at the pitch. That means they get a van/awning, van/awning, van/awning lineup.

We were once allowed to tail in but we were on a pitch that had nothing either side.

I don’t get why you ’have’ to park nearside front to the peg tho...there is no ruling about van/awning van/awning just maintaining the 6m gap between vans facing walls which wouldn’t change if either end was on the peg.

I always take my pick of which way round I park depending on where I want the sun and have never had an issue.

0F63CBA3-B26E-46F5-B0DC-E4E6F4D5E24F.jpeg

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don’t get why you ’have’ to park nearside front to the peg tho...there is no ruling about van/awning van/awning just maintaining the 6m gap between vans facing walls which wouldn’t change if either end was on the peg.

I always take my pick of which way round I park depending on where I want the sun and have never had an issue.

View attachment 439840
That's my niece. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
For RCRich (OP)

Not connected with campsite parking but one thing to be considered when exiting into traffic.

We had to stop on hard shoulder M6 and exit from hab door on right side(no cab doors)

Obviously I was being careful to open the door a crack to look for traffic, although we had pulled well left to allow door to open without obstructing lane 1.

What I had not allowed for was the 'bow wave' of an artic travelling at 62mph being strong enough to whip the door out of my hand. Fortunately no damage. I have learned to keep a strong grasp of the door since then.

But on the continent where we mostly are, we have the advantage.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have our Hab door on the “wrong “ side never had a problem on a UK site if I did I would ask the warden if they had a problem with “what part of I'm the customer are you having a problem with “. 😀😀

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Many sites have asked us to have our hab door on right side, which has meant driving forward into spaces, so zero view. Some allow alternative once we ask, others not. It’s only a uk thing though, so not a major issue for us.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Every CMC we have been on insist on us being nose in.

I have a continental van and Never had a problem on pitching.Use CMS sites all the time.As long as the van is set up the the post I have gone both ways depending on which suits us.👍🏻.You must have Adolf the warden.😁😁

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Don't stay on sites very often but when we do we are renting the pitch so we park how we want.
We park for the view sometimes it means opposite someone's door never caused a problem.
We have 2001 Mb b680 rhd (the hab door is driver side) with the canopy/awning on the driver side so we park front/rear in depending on where the sun is, we normally try to park with the driver side facing west, that way we get more of the sun for longer

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
With the CMC you usually chose your own pitch so sometimes you can pick an end pitch. The CCC allocate you a pitch but you can make a request for an end pitch when booking. It is just a request though and they might not be able to help.

One site we used (can't remember where) had all the vans with off side had doors in their own little enclave which made things easy for all :)

With a front lounge and the front chairs swiveled you won't be looking out of the windscreen so I don't see that as an issue ..... we also tend to put our thermal covers up over the screen once we are pitched up. In good weather we have chairs outside so can choose our view.

It really isn't a problem - we just let the warden know we have an off side door hab door and they let us know how we should pitch up so as to comply with their requirements.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back