Offgrid Power Solutions-Big Thumbs up (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
A big thanks to Nigel and Roger for the Victron upgrade they recently carried out. Really nice people and their work and knowledge is firstclass.

I have had installed Victron multi plus 2, XS b2b, MPPT, Cerbo & Screen, shunt and Lynx, 2x 280 fog star.

This upgrade will give us so much more flexibility and off grid opportunities. As a test/trial we ran the fridge on Battery last night, worked a treat with it taking about 20% out, which then got replenished after a two hour drive. So we can mix and match what we run on electric and gas subject to how much driving we will do per trip etc.

Before and after pictures below.

I will be putting the 1800w Dometic Inverter and controller on the classifieds shortly.- if any one interested?

IMG_1255.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg
IMG_1276.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would just make one suggestion. I would install some kind of divider to the right of the meshed in box to prevent a water leak from the shower tap flooding the electrics.
Just a strip of plastic going all the way down from the side of the tap down to the bottom and sticking out a couple of inches proud of the electric box if that makes sense?
Or relocate the plumbing and tap below the electric box.

I NEVER install plumbing above electrics in my vehicles.

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
I would just make one suggestion. I would install some kind of divider to the right of the meshed in box to prevent a water leak from the shower tap flooding the electrics.
Just a strip of plastic going all the way down from the side of the tap down to the bottom and sticking out a couple of inches proud of the electric box if that makes sense?

This is how Carthago design them, but yes good idea, I will look into it.

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
That looks very nice, I'm amazed you only use 20% of your batteries over night that is excellent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli Plus
A big thanks to Nigel and Roger for the Victron upgrade they recently carried out. Really nice people and their work and knowledge is firstclass.

I have had installed Victron multi plus 2, XS b2b, MPPT, Cerbo & Screen, shunt and Lynx, 2x 280 fog star.

This upgrade will give us so much more flexibility and off grid opportunities. As a test/trial we ran the fridge on Battery last night, worked a treat with it taking about 20% out, which then got replenished after a two hour drive. So we can mix and match what we run on electric and gas subject to how much driving we will do per trip etc.

I will be putting the 1800w Dometic Inverter and controller on the classifieds shortly.- if any one interested?

View attachment 874488
View attachment 874489View attachment 874490
Agree, they are really very good.
I saw your van in their barn when I collected mine, I've just had a 280Ah battery, charger and inverter installed by them.
We run just about everything off 12v so it will be interesting to see how much we use, going away this weekend.
Cheers!

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Neat installation. You may want to tidy up what looks like polythene sheeting thats touching the victron components. Victron stuff can get quite hot in normal use & heat could melt the poly or worse.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That lynx distributer makes so much sense, specially when you run big power, I’m glad ppl use it, it’s the best buss bar solution out there.
Well done guys, that’s a neat install.

Mar 11, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Looks like a nice instillation. We are thinking of having something similar fitted to our Carthago and favour Victron. What’s the name of the company that did your installation for you?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Since you have 2 x 280 = 560Amps, it must be a big fridge to take 112 Amps out overnight !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

That is a very poor show by Carthago, makes you wonder where some of these designers get their brains from.
Since you have 2 x 280 = 560Amps, it must be a big fridge to take 112 Amps out overnight !
Sounds about right, a 3 way fridges draws about 15 amps on 12v and will probably have a duty cycle of 50 - 75%.

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp

View attachment 874488
View attachment 874489View attachment 874490
Oh and I forgot, they also fitted a battery master, that seems to be working a treat, keeping my vehicle battery topped up and not draining like it was previously due to the slight drain of the alarm/tracker.

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
That is a very poor show by Carthago, makes you wonder where som e of these designers get their brains from.

Sounds about right, a 3 way fridges draws about 15 amps on 12v and will probably have a duty cycle of 50 - 75%.
We have a 12v fridge/freezer (Inlander Montpelier), draws an average of 2.2 Amps hourly. Drawing 15 Amps on 12v even on a 50% cycle which presumably would be 7.5 Amps hourly still seems high, especially since it's just a fridge.

OP
OP
G1969
Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
We have a 12v fridge/freezer (Inlander Montpelier), draws an average of 2.2 Amps hourly. Drawing 15 Amps on 12v even on a 50% cycle which presumably would be 7.5 Amps hourly still seems high, especially since it's just a fridge.
I think it draws about 250w, so my calculation is about 20amps per hour on full, admittedly it cycles?This was the screen shot when the fridge was on.
IMG_1276.jpeg

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
My fridge/freezer is compressor type, 12V only.
I'm guessing you are all talking about absorption type which are not very efficient on 12V.

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Just had a look at post 12 again. No mention of Absorption.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

But water cooling is so much more efficient that air cooling :LOL:

Jun 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Yes, see it now. Post 1 didn't mention it although the implication was there. Post 12 did say it is 3 way.

Jun 9, 2010
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 810
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the feedback, Glyn! Glad you’re happy with the install. It was a pleasure to meet you & Alison! Here’s to many happy offgrid adventures! 🍻

P.S. Sorry I only saw this now! We’ve had a busy week getting ready for the Harrogate show. 🙂

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Neat installation. You may want to tidy up what looks like polythene sheeting thats touching the victron components. Victron stuff can get quite hot in normal use & heat could melt the poly or worse.
I don't think the plastic is actually that close to the Victron kit, it's a bit of an optical illusion. As I recall there is at least a foot of space between them. But I do agree it looks like it's right on top.

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Just returned home after my Lithium upgrade, B2B and Victron inverter install by Nigel and Roger.
Awesome quality job, carried out by people who clearly know how to do quality work. The communication before the install was flawless, and I received a warm welcome upon my arrival. The work itself was completed in a little over 6 hours, and I was taken through everything before I departed by Roger to make sure I was happy.
Excellent funster discount was a bonus to the already competitive pricing. Highly recommended!
Thanks again guys.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
My mate has had a mains battery backup with solar panels, automatic switchover, leccy car charging point, timed charging to get a 7p/kwh from the mains and a mahoosive LiFeP04 battery unit installed at his home, it looks no where as impressive as yours. He has and continues to enjoy software problems with the settup, as had another friend with a Murvi full of Victron kit. Both mates have suffered the unexpected flat battery problem. Hope you dont.

Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
My mate has had a mains battery backup with solar panels, automatic switchover, leccy car charging point, timed charging to get a 7p/kwh from the mains and a mahoosive LiFeP04 battery unit installed at his home, it looks no where as impressive as yours. He has and continues to enjoy software problems with the settup, as had another friend with a Murvi full of Victron kit. Both mates have suffered the unexpected flat battery problem. Hope you dont.
Oh, what is the unexpected flat battery problem? Not heard of it. My vans Victron system has had no software issues in 2 years. Perhaps they should 'ave gone to Offgrid:giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back