Note to self......... check batteries!!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
422
4,333
Yorkshire
Funster No
52,385
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2017
Thought folk may like to see what can happen when you don’t keep an eye on batteries.

Less than a year old, apparently never checked and dry as a bone...…...

2bat.jpg


………….when this blew apart huge amounts of flammable hydrogen gas would be present and one spark could mess up your day severely!!!


If a battery is warm to the touch it has a problem, if there is liquid on the top of the battery it has an issue and if it smells of sulphur turn the Charger off ASAP.

:eek::eek::eek:
.
 

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
23,260
61,783
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
4,189
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If a battery is warm to the touch it has a problem, if there is liquid on the top of the battery it has an issue and if it smells of sulphur turn the Charger off ASAP.
May I amend that a little ?
Do NOT turn the charger off from inside the van. If the switch sparks, then BOOM!
Unplug the hook up from the post end ( in other words as far from the van as possible )
Open doors and windows until the bad egg smell completely goes.
Only then disconnect the battery(s)
For solar panels, cover the panels or wait until it is dark, all the time venting the motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

 
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
4,510
4,828
Manchester
Funster No
42,762
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What kind of charger was it? Were solar panels fitted? Was it a sealed battery or was it the type you can top up? Was it left on hookup long-term?
 

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
2,094
7,252
Pontardawe
Funster No
42,923
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
A bit of superglue and a few hours connected to one of those smart chargers and they'll be fine
 
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
422
4,333
Yorkshire
Funster No
52,385
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2017
A bit of superglue and a few hours connected to one of those smart chargers and they'll be fine

Another note to self.........never park next to Nasher!!!
:):):)
.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

 
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
422
4,333
Yorkshire
Funster No
52,385
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2017
What kind of charger was it? Were solar panels fitted? Was it a sealed battery or was it the type you can top up? Was it left on hookup long-term?

Don’t have details, but looks like a wet lead acid type of battery of the need to top-up variety - probably not commonly used in Moho for leisure batteries, but on some for starter. Thought it was just worth making the point that it is a good idea to keep an eye on batteries (whatever the type), rather than assume you can fit and forget.
.
 
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
422
4,333
Yorkshire
Funster No
52,385
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2017
May I amend that a little ?
Do NOT turn the charger off from inside the van. If the switch sparks, then BOOM!
Unplug the hook up from the post end ( in other words as far from the van as possible )
Open doors and windows until the bad egg smell completely goes.
Only then disconnect the battery(s)
For solar panels, cover the panels or wait until it is dark, all the time venting the motorhome

Very sound advice - thanks.
.
 

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Top