NORTHERN LIGHTS (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
our 50th anniversary in Feb, hubby and I would love to see the lights, (with dog) not sure of route or stops along the way, or costs involved. Can anyone out there give me some ideas please. Going in a IH Van / motorhome.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Norway is expensive and Nordkapp (a reliable place to see them) is a long way north.

If you’re very lucky, you might see them in the north of Scotland but you should only hope, not expect, to see them.

Ian

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
for a decent chance of a decent sighting you really need to get a long way north, that then brings in all sorts of travel logistics

we have just been to north Norway, above the artic circle and had amazing sightings, but spoke to people who live there and say they rarely see them

I was warned against travelling too far north over winter which is very long that far north, photos from funsters travelling even in May with long days and decent weather have driven by huge snow drifts

But do keep trying, best trip we have ever had, but in Feb you might need to travel by other means or hope to see them lower down :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
Was up in Ivalo Finland seen the lights every night for a week.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Bear in mind that solar activity is approaching a minimum in the 11-year cycle, which reduces the chances of aurora occurring.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have an IH and we have been to Norway in February......but.....not the two things together!
You cannot imagine just how cold it can be as you go that far north. We went on the Hurtigruten coastal boat and it reached -40 degrees at Kirkenes.
I don't think that your MH will be up to the job keeping you warm and overall coping with the conditions. You would have to drive on ice, ok that can be managed with the correct tyres but it was scary enough in the hands of a local driver.
To get the best chance of seeing the lights you would need to allow a number of days above the artic circle and hope for a clear sky spell in the weather.
Do read @DavidG58 s recent post on his trip to get an idea of just how far it is.
I really recommend going but let someone else take the strain and leave your dog home with someone in the warm.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
It’s not me but the oh that wants to drive there, I’d rather fly/or go on a boat. But where and when? A few days (3 to 5) will do

Love the photos

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had amazing luck on our trip Aug / Sept this year, saw them on 6 nights out of 9 while in the Lofoten area near Narvik

but it is a seriously long drive, highlighted for me when we turned for home, programmed TT and for a laugh put in our home address, we had best bit of 2500 miles to get home, really took the shine off our trip, if we do it again or anything anywhere near as long I will allow twice as long to get home, hopefully twice as long to get up there as well, we already took 35 nights and relatively raced up and back although had a leisurely 10 days around the Lofoten area

I say do it and try, just plan it and be wary of conditions, we think the aurora would be even more spectacular with snow on the ground, but to achieve that we would fly (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back