NordVPN hacked, are VPN's worth the hassle? Misleading ads. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have never used a VPN on my personal system (I use other security measures) as unless you want to pretend to be in another country I don't see the point.

Tom Scott does some really excellent videos and I thought this one was worth sharing. If you are curious about what VPN's can actually do, watch this.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we use a vpn at home and if we set it to a US server, we are able to watch US movies/programming (for specific programmes/series - NOT all the time) so they do have their uses !!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I use NordVPN - I didn't know it had been hacked :(... however it seems it was just one of the thousands of servers it uses. Apparently it was in Finland & I have never knowingly used that as a location.

A bit like motorhome security, no matter what you do - alarms, immobilisers, locks - nothing will be 100%, a determined thief will always be able to steal your individual van if they want to - the best you can hope for is that your security will put enough hurdles in the way.

As for the video, it's informative but doesn't disagree that if you know why you want a VPN and know the limits of their capabilities, then they 'work'. It was more of a rant against their advertising - but doesn't all advertising over exaggerate...
[BA the World's Favourite Airline... hmmm].

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
we use a vpn at home and if we set it to a US server, we are able to watch US movies/programming (for specific programmes/series - NOT all the time) so they do have their uses !!
I did specifically mention pretending you are from another country... Other than that I struggle to see the point to them for the average person in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back