Non Refundable Deposits due to Covid (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Just tried to book a site for a week in June and found that for a total cost of £300-odd*, the deposit requested was £214! Two hundred and fourteen quid!! Not even the highwaymen at Kwikfit could charge that sort of amount.

Furthermore, it is not even refundable, and they suggest that I arrange insurance. I have checked and my travel insurance does not cover Covid from 1 January this year. Terrific.

Talk about taking libs. I haven't progressed the booking.
Anyone else found this? What did you do?

(* before anyone starts gasping for air, we always book the premium & largest pitches with water, EHU and grey water drain)

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Does the actual booking not have covid cover?

If restrictions mean they are closed they wouldn’t be able to keep your money if that’s what they are implying.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suspect that the site owners have had a really bad year through no fault of their own last year and think this year it's the customers turn to take the pain. I wouldn't book on those terms but if they are upfront and clear they will probably have enough takers to get away with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just tried to book a site for a week in June and found that for a total cost of £300-odd*, the deposit requested was £214! Two hundred and fourteen quid!! Not even the highwaymen at Kwikfit could charge that sort of amount.

Furthermore, it is not even refundable, and they suggest that I arrange insurance. I have checked and my travel insurance does not cover Covid from 1 January this year. Terrific.

Talk about taking libs. I haven't progressed the booking.
Anyone else found this? What did you do?

(* before anyone starts gasping for air, we always book the premium & largest pitches with water, EHU and grey water drain)
Change my tactics of booking a site.

300 nicker for a week !!!!!! Thats my annual amount and I get 10-12 weeks away !

If i didnt like you so much a firm but fair slap round the face would seem an appropriate wake up call (y)

Edit: Didnt notice this (* before anyone starts gasping for air, we always book the premium & largest pitches with water, EHU and grey water drain) when I read it. I was obviously gasping for breath after the first sentence

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I suspect there are quite different motorhome lovers, for me the idea of booking ahead or even paying is an anathema.
However I understand your desire to be secure in your pitch.
My observation is this, if customer's pay as requested the market with harden and become the norm.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think some sites will be trying to protect themselves from backup bookings, knowing that some will be no shows if they can travel abroad.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I suspect there are quite different motorhome lovers, for me the idea of booking ahead or even paying is an anathema.
However I understand your desire to be secure in your pitch.
My observation is this, if customer's pay as requested the market with harden and become the norm.

This year will be very different with many more staycationers in their new caravans and motorhomes plus those that would normally be in Europe sites and wilding places will be in short supply.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
As I have said elsewhere on this lovely forum, we HAVE to book in advance because we have two boys with severe autism and need the certainty of knowing there is a place at the end of the day. We also go for the absolute premium sized sites so that when we have yelling or other agitation, we are more than a few feet from judgmental neighbours...

Rest assured, once we have them in sheltered accommodation, me and Mrs DDJC will just head off, go off grid and take chances like everyone else and get mugged, gassed, de-tyred, arrested, bail-bonded and every other misfortune that happens or is reputed to happen (and probably doesn't)

I suppose I was asking more for advice on holiday insurers that would still indemnify against covid.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I suppose I was asking more for advice on holiday insurers that would still indemnify against covid.
I would hope if they cancelled because covid rules had closed the site you would still be entitled to a refund.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have tongue in cheek booked four nights Easter week on a site in Norfolk , £31 deposit with transfer to later booking if covid prevents.
Not far from home but anywhere away from the four walls in our second home will be great.
We went to Seacroft Cromer just before total lockdown. Not far but loved it. The food and wine tasted just as good.
Regards Phil n Gill

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Non-refundable payments and fees​

In the CMA’s view, for consumer contracts the above rights to a refund will usually apply even where the business says part of the payment is a non-refundable deposit or advance payment.

This is because the contract will have been frustrated and terms which allow a business to provide no service but keep a consumer’s money (including deposits or advance payments) are likely to be unfair, and therefore unenforceable under Part 2 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We went to Seacroft Cromer just before total lockdown. Not far but loved it. The food and wine tasted just as good.
Regards Phil n Gill
It’s just to get away, if time is limited we might head to sunny Hunny or Sheringham or somewhere in the Suffolk countryside, always enjoyable.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Except some of their more popular sites get choked by bog roll bookings i.e. people making more bookings than they intend to take up. I wish they would take deposits to discourage this.
They have all but stopped this malpractice, three strikes and you are suspended from booking.
Phil

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Except some of their more popular sites get choked by bog roll bookings i.e. people making more bookings than they intend to take up. I wish they would take deposits to discourage this.
I do wish the CAMC would insist on taking a deposit. People need to stop block booking sites at the beginning of the season! Does me head in!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I do wish the CAMC would insist on taking a deposit. People need to stop block booking sites at the beginning of the season! Does me head in!
Maybe that is why they are asking for such a silly deposit, to make sure only genuine people are booking and not holding pitches that will not be used
But no I would not be paying that kind of deposit maybe using a credit card could be an option :unsure:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Indeed . Try and find a club site anywhere that has space at Easter . All booked up . People seem confident they will be able to go away

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Indeed . Try and find a club site anywhere that has space at Easter . All booked up . People seem confident they will be able to go away
That’s why we booked early as it seems schools planned to return beginning of March , Easter early April almost a safe bet. We booked in county in case of tiers being used again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back