Non Refundable Deposits due to Covid (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
After last years booking frenzy we booked early this year
Snoozers are losers

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Just booked a trip to Cornwall, a mixture of Club sites and others. One required full upfront payment, £100, three nights, grass, no electric, no refund. 1st week July, I got the last pitch available for my dates, so I guess a good site can command the fees and in 2021 Mr & Mrs Brit pays up. I did, as I want to stay there and in the scheme of things £100 is not the end of the world. I am looking at UK travel insurance, but there are some crazy prices offered for that too, especially as I recently had a health issue and they tell me I get older each year.!!

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I suspect that the site owners have had a really bad year through no fault of their own last year and think this year it's the customers turn to take the pain. I wouldn't book on those terms but if they are upfront and clear they will probably have enough takers to get away with it.
I don't think many sites suffered to bad last year, you could hardly find a pitch when restrictions were lifted early in July, plus the bonus of a massive number of people doing staycation and taking up camping, caravanning and motorhoming possibly for the first time.

With regard to excessive deposits, especially non refundable, I, like you wouldn't pay them, but I suppose its up to the individual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have a holiday cottage that I have chosen to mothball till much later this year due to complications of booking cancellations

I suspect the no refund the OP mentions will only be if they chose not to go, possibly even if Covid rules don’t allow them to travel but the site can stay open, if the site has to close they will be forced to refund

we had a number of nervous bookers last year , deciding in the week and even on the day of travel not to come, no chance for us to relet and full refunds given, based on our interpretation of government rules . A few did take rescheduled dates for this year

I don’t blame their nervousness on the day , but I did begrudge why they booked in the first place or left it so late to ‘change their minds’ rescheduling dates seems a much fairer option

We are in very hard times, site owners and the likes of us with no income from our holiday let have suffered. But I must add the government have ‘given’ money to small businesses us included which has really helped offset no income 🌈

Hopefully not much longer now till some kind of new normal 🤔👍

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I was looking at some sites on Pitchup.com and have previously booked sites using it.

What really surprised me for 2021 was the price of some sites.... So for 2 adults, with electric hook up for 6 nights - £325 + £16 per dog....

This was for a site in West Wales, I then looked at a site in Devon. £10 cheaper but included the dog.... but £10 for an awning...

The sites looked nice but not different from say a CMC site.

I know 2020 was a tough year for the whole industry but blimey.... looks like they are looking to capitalise this year...

I didn’t book the sites....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
lots of sites and the big clubs, you can cancel up till a set time before, but not say a week before. Cancelling on the day is absolutely wrong and at the cost of the renter/visitor. These sites and rental cottages are businesses at the end of the day

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back