No sliding door handle on inside of Peugeot Boxer. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Hi all.

I am making progress on the conversion. I have most of the struts up for attaching the tongue and groove cladding / ply lining on the walls. But before I do this to the sliding door I need to sort out a problem.

The sliding door has no handle on the inside to open it. In addition, to close it from the outside, you can't just pull it. You have to push in the mechanism / catch under the cargo bay floor but below the actual bottom of the van. I hope that makes sense!

There is a cable within the door that looks (to my totally untrained eye) like it should release the catch and allow the open door to slide. However pulling on it does nothing.

I'd be grateful to anyone who can offer me advise as to how to fit a handle and what the required parts are. I've had a look online and on YouTube and haven't had any joy.

My thanks in advance.

Jack.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
However pulling on it does nothing.
Sounds like the cable has either come adrift at one end or other or snapped as it should release the lock back mechanism whn you pull to slide door forward.As to why there is no hanfdle inside ? No idea .Can you have a look at another van same model to see where it should be ? What van is it ? A photo of the inside of door might help as well.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
What age is the van? I have my own 2010 and a 2016 beside me I can photograph if it helps?

Both open from inside. Can't photograph tonight in case of reflection :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks both for the speedy replies.

The van is a 2013 Peugeot Boxer.

I should have thought about taking photos in the daylight but I was too excited to be getting the struts up and plotting exactly how I'm going to mount the bed!

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them here.

Thanks again!! :smiley:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Slightly late but as promised here are the photographs. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help.

I've drawn a red circle around what I think is the cable that would open the door if the handle was there. However, as said before, pulling it does nothing.

van door red.jpg
IMG_8624.JPG

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think ,as i remember when i had my door panel off,the two cables are pulled at the same time when you use the handle? Try pulling them both together !
Hope this is of some help.

Good luck with your conversion,i did my boxer 2 years ago and its a lot of work but worth it.

Cheers Cris.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks all for the replies and links.

Further investigation today has found that this mechanism in the image below does not spring back once the cable in red above is pulled. I’m hoping to correct this cleaning and putting on fresh lubricant.

However pulling on the cable only releases the mechanism to shut the door when it is open. When the door is shut pulling the cable does nothing. I think it’s because it’s locked from the outside with one of these dead locks. But then the back doors open from the inside despite the same lock being fitted to the back doors???

Very confused.

2AB8CFCD-0F55-418F-A61D-15E713A305F5.jpeg

image.jpg

Much more worryingly I was just working on the van and we had a horrendous heavy rain shower and took shelter in the back. I discovered a puddle in the top right of the sliding door doorway. Water pouring in from the top right of the door and down to the floor! ?

F33C142D-7469-4D38-8093-BB65CDD2F77B.jpeg

I was going to fit the floor today but I don’t want a leak like that on the new floor. It will destroy it.

The seal doesn’t appear to touch the door! Look at these gaps!

327410C8-583D-4CAA-95FA-3BD358BE7110.jpeg

E72DE844-9C24-440F-9FB7-60CD43996D4D.jpeg

Are you supposed to see that much daylight through the door? Is that other people like that normal and are other people’s doors like that?

Is the seal gone or has the door been fitted really badly? The people I bought it off put a new one on. But obviously they’ve bodged it because it doesn’t open and leaks!

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks, that helped find a few things to tighten.

The half whit “mechanic” at the "dealers" had only fitted the bottom connection with one of three bolts. ?
I’ve added two, moved a few plates around and tightened a few things up. I think I’ve improved it but there’s still a gap.

As far as water is concerned an inch is as good as a mile. Or in this case, 5 mm is as good as 10 mm. Water still pours through the gap like Niagara Falls!! This is no minor leak.

Below is a picture showing the gap between the metal above the sliding door and the door when shut from the outside. Water just flows straight in through it and down the inside of the door! ?

Surely that gap is a unusually large? It also strikes me as odd that there is no seal. When you look around all the other doors on the van you can see a black rubber seal in the joints but one is absent here, along the top of the sliding door. Is one missing?

At a bit of a loss as to what to do. No idea really. Very frustrating as the wood to do the floor has finally arrived. But that's a no go while Niagra Falls is in full flow.

gap.jpg

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I got a few pics before it gets dark.
The gap , the seal in my door ,and the awning strip i have up which is also a gutter the water runs along it and off at the front.
Hope its of some use for you.
20200406_194717.jpg
20200406_194754.jpg
20200406_194746.jpg
20200406_194807.jpg

Cheers Cris.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Link for a sliding door rubber seal, i have used his company and found them good,but worth pricing elsewhere also.

Hope it is of some use.

Cheers Cris.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Cris, Thanks again for your help! Especially for taking the time to go and take photos for me before dark. It is kind and very much appreciated by me.

It is interesting that the gap you have is very similar in size to that on my van. That has reassured me that at least I have the right door fitted. I was starting to even doubt that. :LOL: It amazes me though that they are produced with such a huge gap.

Following advice from a historic post on another forum, which I found while having a Google, I have purchased some "U shaped rubber edging trim". ( https://tinyurl.com/UShapeEdgeTrim ) Hopefully this can be pushed along the lip of the van door and it will make a good contact with the side of the van without inhibiting the closing of the door. The poster on the other site said it worked for him. So fingers crossed!!
???

I have so far refrained from buying another seal, because the existing one looks okay. If the U shaped trim doesn't work I'll dig yet deeper into my shallow pockets and fork out for guttering and / or a new seal.

I'll let you know if it works when it arrives.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Amazing service. The handle arrived today!

However a little more help and advice is needed because Dad and I must be simple. We studied it for a while and looked online and can not work out how to fix it.

Where are the two cables attatched to the back of the door handle?

CA29FEDB-419C-4952-980B-1AF74BCF2684.jpeg

7C5C26C4-CAB7-4B65-A279-378DB1D61E33.jpeg

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Came back to the handle today to try again with a fresh mind. Usual tactics were used - stop, stare and think.

Turns out when refitting the replacement door the superb "mechanic" had put the cable through the wrong hole. I re-ran the cable through the correct hole, giving more length inside the door, behind the handle. With that done it became clear, after a few moments studying the movement of the release leaver, where the two cables should be clipped. I simply could not do this the other day. Just shows how it pays to come back to things with a fresh mind.

I now have a door that opens from both sides. Only a little thing but makes the world of difference to be able to open the door from the inside and close it from the outside without having to get oily fingers by messing with the catch under the cargo bay floor!

Amazingly this also seems to be making the door sit better in the hole and the leak is dramatically reduced, but not perfect.

Hopefully that u shaped rubber stuff will come soon and make the door water tight so I can get on with this floor.

Prop6968

Free Member
Apr 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Citroen relay panel
Came back to the handle today to try again with a fresh mind. Usual tactics were used - stop, stare and think.

Turns out when refitting the replacement door the superb "mechanic" had put the cable through the wrong hole. I re-ran the cable through the correct hole, giving more length inside the door, behind the handle. With that done it became clear, after a few moments studying the movement of the release leaver, where the two cables should be clipped. I simply could not do this the other day. Just shows how it pays to come back to things with a fresh mind.

I now have a door that opens from both sides. Only a little thing but makes the world of difference to be able to open the door from the inside and close it from the outside without having to get oily fingers by messing with the catch under the cargo bay floor!

Amazingly this also seems to be making the door sit better in the hole and the leak is dramatically reduced, but not perfect.

Hopefully that u shaped rubber stuff will come soon and make the door water tight so I can get on with this floor.
Good evening I am experiencing the same problem with the side loading door internal handle . I was unable to open the door from the inside there was one short cable connected to the inner handle but not connected inside the door . Any info or pictures or both would be appreciated to 07821669329. Whatts app . Thanks

Prop6968

Free Member
Apr 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Citroen relay panel
Any info or pics would be much appreciated
Nick

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Any info or pics would be much appreciated
Nick

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the inside. And I don't want to undo it because, as you have discovered, it's a total nightmare to assemble.

From memory there are two cables that fit onto the handle. One has a ball on the end that sort of goes into a round hole and the wire wraps around the insides of the handle, clipping in place. The other has a cylinder shaped end and fits into an appropriate shaped hole in the internals of the handle.

It sounds like you're missing a cable if you only have one. That is assuming we have the same models and they didn't change them. What year is yours? Which shape end is it you have? You may be able to find the other on eBay or a breakers yard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back