No s##t Sherlock....... (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Fellow Funsters, let me first apologise. I appreciate that this issue strictly speaking is not MH stuff, but as there are a few ex caravanners about I thought it may be of general interest to a few.
If nothing else, this has decided for us what we should do with our caravan now that we've bought a motor-home.

This week our 2012 Swift Conqueror 570 caravan was stolen from farm storage overnight near our house, and we are gutted.
It was alarmed, it has been CRiS chipped, it had an Al-Ko Gold Secure Hitch Lock and an Al-Ko Diamond Secure Wheel lock.

The hitch lock was merely jemmied off intact, but the wheel lock had been removed by heating the chassis housing and just pulling it off with the barrel and lock intact.
Safe to say, a pre-planned and determined theft me thinks Sherlock........

Once released from its shackles the van was towed 200 yards across a crop field onto a lane and gone. Sadly, all this took place 50 yds from the farmhouse.

I'm just waiting for a jobsworth to insist that its impossible to get an Al-Ko wheel lock off without keys, well here's the proof.

Alko wheel lock.JPG
Alko wheel lock 2.JPG
Alko Hitch lock.JPG
Al-Ko wheel lock 3.JPG
Al-Ko wheel lock 3.JPG

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm afraid the old saying is very true, sad and annoying but true. If some bastard wants something bad enough there's not much will stop them!
They will have practiced and practised till it can be done in minutes. Battery operated angle grinders but if too noisy it seems they have moved up to gas cutting gear.
We have recently had a tracker fitted so that if the manage to take our moho (Strikeback Growler) we can see where it is at least to help the police.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
But I’m sure the police are hunting high and low,going to all their known contacts and dropping in on the Itinerant sites. Well maybe not the last one cos they are shit scared of them.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Someone clearly knew exactly what they were doing and really wanted your van, a professional theft. There's only so much you can do to put thieves off, sounds like you did all you could....

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jeeez... Looks like they used a thermal lance on the thing.. Shocking that a 'sold secure' lock should be made of monkey metal

Apr 1, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo
Exp
I'm amazed to see that, sorry your caravan has been stolen, although seeing your pictures has put my mind at rest we had our caravan stolen a few years ago out of storage and again ours was pre-planned as it was gone within 10mins, I was convinced if I had not got frustrated having to line up the alko lock each time we bought back so bought a milenco lock to replace it( pure laziness really) it would never have been stolen but clearly it could have been. The only saving grace was we had a tracker so it was picked 30 mins later

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Im sorry for the theft of your caravan. Have you sent a report and the photos to Sold Secure for comment?

KathleenW

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Still researching .....
Exp
Have owned caravans and camper vans in the past.
Sorry for your loss. What's wrong with these people? I can remember when we didn't have to lock our doors.

OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
Im sorry for the theft of your caravan. Have you sent a report and the photos to Sold Secure for comment?
Yes, I've emailed AL-Ko, though I don't expect that our's is the first time for this heating method.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I lost a twin axle that had a wheel clamp in each axle , and a hitch lock , and hardened chain on a steel 5 bar gate with welded down hinges . cris registered and etched, also with roof postcode , never seen again .

The worst part was they took all my old washing machines and copper tanks I had been collecting !!!!:LOL:

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Really sorry to read of your theft, as everyone has said, clearly well planned and prepared. Our 'van is on the drive with exactly the same wheel-lock ..... clearly neither that nor the hitchlock are going to deter someone if that's what is on their shopping list.

Will be interested to see what Al-Ko say . . .

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
They even created a new category for that lock, “Sold Platinum”, I think. :censored:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sorry to hear that your caravan has been stolen. Nothing's sacred any more. Sad.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I lost a twin axle that had a wheel clamp in each axle , and a hitch lock , and hardened chain on a steel 5 bar gate with welded down hinges . cris registered and etched, also with roof postcode , never seen again .

The worst part was they took all my old washing machines and copper tanks I had been collecting !!!!:LOL:

Let me see - twin axle van and all the scrap metal went as well - hmmmm, which group could be suspects.......

OP
OP
Decaf
Aug 2, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo It 724
Exp
Since 2015
For anyone that's interested, below is the response from AL-KO, its more than I had expected.

"Thank you for your email and I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience.
We appreciate all feedback, and we are always interested to hear about any 'attacks' on our products, particularly successful ones, so appreciate you getting in touch, and yes, please do sent though the photos if you have a chance.
We are sorry to hear that the thieves were successful despite your use of our AL-KO Hitch Lock and wheel lock. The information we obtain from insurance companies and the Police tells us that attempts on caravans normally last a short period of time, around 5-10 minutes. Whilst our locks do provide a substantial level of security, as with all security devices the primary function is that of a deterrent, and given sufficient time is not 100% infallible.
We do appreciate that this is of little consolation to you following your recent experience and can only assure you that all customer comments and industry feedback are closely monitored and if common issues emerge are acted upon accordingly.
We would always advise the use of as many security products as possible, to increase the time necessary to defeat the security measures. Secure storage is also recommended to prevent easy access to your caravan, and limit the time available for attacks.
I'm sorry I cannot be of more help but should you have any further comments or questions please don't hesitate to get in touch."

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
For anyone that's interested, below is the response from AL-KO, its more than I had expected.
"

Good that they're interested. I must admit I was surprised that hitchlock could be jemmied off, having used one they seemed a pretty substantial bit of kit.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It would be funny if you hadn’t lost your lovely motorhome. What a load of twaddle! Typical Mr nice guy,I’ve been on the “keep the consumer happy course”. Try making something that works guys.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Yes, I've emailed AL-Ko, though I don't expect that our's is the first time for this heating method.

Will be interested to see what Al-Ko say . . .
Nothing will resist an oxy-acetyline torch and the "Gold" standard from memory only means they will delay a determined attacker ten minutes - or it might be five minutes. :)

As already mentioned, if they want your vehicle they will take it. All you can hope is the insurance will cough up if they do pinch it having done what you can to deter them.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That was a very determined theft. Sorry for the loss of your van.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Sorry for your loss. What's wrong with these people? I can remember when we didn't have to lock our doors.
Folk have been stealing things for thousands of years. It's not a recent problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back