No power to mh even with engine. (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Hi I'm on the mh now. Came to turn the leisure power on and nothing. No power to steps, lights. The test box won't even light up. Started the engine, vehicle works as it should lights etc. Mh section still dead with engine running. Voltmeter over leisure battery seems to indicate no power to battery. Found a relay box under hood, would the be a relay between engine and leisure battery? Many thanks in advance. Has to be something gone. Checked all the fuses.

Attachments

• 20171205_093715.jpg
    20171205_093715.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 67

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You appear to have a unique van.
Never heard of a converter using the base vehicle fuse box.
Split charge relay is usually near the battery or part of the hab control panel and completely independent of original vehicle wiring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I only knew to look under the bonnet at the relays as I read a post on a guy with the same problem who fixed it this way. I will switch the relays back tomorrow to see if this was the problem or I moved a wire etc without knowing. If I post the result it may help someone in the future. The van was a Ci Riviera 141

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It looks like the relay could be a similar fault to mine a few weeks back

If it is the D+ or 14V alternator output control relay that would make sense

Mine failed and until the chassis knew the engine was running (D+ signal apparently) nothing in the MH would work as it should, no step warning, no 12v fridge, no split charge and possibly a few others

Nice easy fix for you (y) took longer to post than solve :)(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Came to turn the leisure power on and nothing. No power to steps, lights. The test box won't even light up.
You still should have had power even without the engine or you would need the engine running while pitched as well.

Unfortunately it appears your leisure battery was 100% dead.
Time for a new battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dafydd_Cymru
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
These batteries only seem to be lasting a year to two years. I mean the is 160watts of solar on the roof and the battery doesn't hold it. It may be both or one. I'll test the relays then get back. Glad it didn't happen when I was on the Western Isles. As for the battery, I stay up late draining the thing with TV etc. The constant draining can't do the battery much good.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends how deep you drain them.
50% is the recommended max to get a decent life from them....usually 4 to 5 years is normal.
Deep discharging will kill them much faster.
It isn't that the batteries can't hold the solar charge ...they can't accept the charge in the first place due to plate sulphation brought about by regular deep discharge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back