Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
After going to France many times over the years we have developed a system of using cash to pay for small things and our Clarity card for campsite fees, meals out and supermarket bills. We usually take a few hundred Euros which is ample but this year instead of just France we have been to Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany as well.

I didn’t see it coming but in Germany and Belgium almost nowhere we visited took plastic for payment. As a result we have been topping up our cash regularly after being caught out in several quite posh restaurants where we didnt for a second think there would be a problem, several campsites and the final straw today in Thionville FRANCE sorry monsiuer, le cash only at the local Municipal site!

Our German friends explained their domestic cash only problem as a glitch in the German psyche that would rather lose a sale than pay 3.5% commission to a bank. In this modern age I am amazed that so many places feel the same, or have we just been terribly unlucky? Today is the first time I can ever remember being refused in France but after the previous 10 or 20 refusals in Germany and Belgium perhaps it’s a growing trend?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
The Swedish govnt has told its citizens to stockpile cash, in case of a national emergency!

I think most of Europe is doing it as well !!

The end is nigh!! We’re all doomed!!! X

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We know of a couple of restaurants that don't take plastic, very nearly caught us on the hop, worst, there was no warnings in the restaurant or on the menus. Could have been a tad embarrassing

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We've just had the same thing happen in a restaurant in Keswick, fortunately we had plenty of cash but a few people were caught out and had to run up the road to an ATM. There was a small sign in the window but it was pouring with rain so everone was in a hurry to get inside and missed it. The end is nigh everywhere it seems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's one reason why the Greek economy went tyres-up.
It's the same with many U.K. builders, plasterers, plumbers, electricians, gardeners, window cleaners, car washers, car boot and some auction site sellers. I wonder why ................:whistle:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
After going to France many times over the years we have developed a system of using cash to pay for small things and our Clarity card for campsite fees, meals out and supermarket bills. We usually take a few hundred Euros which is ample but this year instead of just France we have been to Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany as well.

I didn’t see it coming but in Germany and Belgium almost nowhere we visited took plastic for payment. As a result we have been topping up our cash regularly after being caught out in several quite posh restaurants where we didnt for a second think there would be a problem, several campsites and the final straw today in Thionville FRANCE sorry monsiuer, le cash only at the local Municipal site!

Our German friends explained their domestic cash only problem as a glitch in the German psyche that would rather lose a sale than pay 3.5% commission to a bank. In this modern age I am amazed that so many places feel the same, or have we just been terribly unlucky? Today is the first time I can ever remember being refused in France but after the previous 10 or 20 refusals in Germany and Belgium perhaps it’s a growing trend?
Only ever paid with a card in Germany for fuel or at a supermarket.
Tying up my brother's estate in Germany involved paying for everything with cash, even the funeral parlour!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Think about it! The VAT on a £1000 is ??

If the Tradesman is willing to take cash, for his labour, and drop the VAT?

It's a win win situation! and anyone that refuses to take advantage, when offered !!!!!

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp

It's a win win situation! and anyone that refuses to take advantage, when offered !!!!!
Errr, if you're referring to my comment 'I wonder why....' it was rhetorical. :rolleyes: ;)
I have several self-employed building trade pals ( a couple not VAT registered) with large sheds, lockup garages, even one with an air conditioned barn, containing (cash purchased) investments in high end classic vehicles which was a necessary move after their mattresses began to runneth over.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
No sir! have no fear Mr S:drinks: twas the one above yours:gum:
Ah, got it. Ta.
I'd be hypocritical if I criticised those who trade in the cash economy as I'm always ready (aren't most folk?) to do a deal for cash. I never offer cash until I've had the quote as I'm sure they'd stick say 10 or 15% on so that they could knock it off if offered cash from the start. P'raps they do anyway as a negotiating cushion, cash or not.
One builder arranged that a pal bought the materials as he couldn't avoid the VAT on materials but he could take cash for the labour as neither a VAT inspector nor the HMRC would know how much labour it took him to use the materials for the loft conversion. I guess that's commonplace.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Winner winner chicken dinner!!!!

Spot on my funster friend(y)

they cracked right down on that in late 90's early 00's. Any who'd sent money out the country had to account for it, & return it without penalty . Then they could export it legally less tax.
It was a fire sale everywhere her in the early 2000's with Germans selling at any price.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Copper and lead is moved about to different wharehouses........ "Cash ?";)
Tea Bag

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

No it's not a win win. Society loses by the loss of the tax revenue that is used to pay for schools, hospitals, etc.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been in Belgium for the last week only spent about €5 cash everything else has been on a card.

Germany has always been like that when I first started going their you could only get fuel for cash, shops were always cash or German debit card, foreign cards not accepted. That was early 80's.

Although France very card orientated I wouldn't have expected a municipale to take cards.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I was in Belgium (Ypres) last week, the hotel bar wouldn't let me pay by card for a round of drinks but was OK for €100 food bill.
Yet 2 shops allowed contactless for small values, their contactless limit is €25

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Although France very card orientated I wouldn't have expected a municipale to take cards.
In France I seem to be forever queuing at the hypermarket checkout behind old dears who want to pay by cheque. The cheque book is in their purse, which is in their handbag, which is at the bottom of one of their stuffed shopping bags......and few know the amount, the date, the payee or have a biro. :rolleyes: I'm never in a rush so I find it entertaining.
EDIT - Indeed @Lenny HB some checkouts do take the blank cheque and feed it into their till which prints it all for the customer. Shame.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Germany is not a big fan of plastic. Belgium to a lesser extent, although I have been caught out there too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In France I seem to be forever queuing at the hypermarket checkout behind old dears who want to pay by cheque. The cheque book is in their purse, which is in their handbag, which is at the bottom of one of their stuffed shopping bags......and few know the amount, the date, the payee or have a biro. :rolleyes: I'm never in a rush so I find it entertaining.
Must be the only country that still use cheques, at least they print them at the till and the customer only has to sign it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
[QUOTE="carolyn, post: 3337339, member: 21586" ]We've just had the same thing happen in a restaurant in Keswick, fortunately we had plenty of cash but a few people were caught out and had to run up the road to an ATM. There was a small sign in the window but it was pouring with rain so everone was in a hurry to get inside and missed it. The end is nigh everywhere it seems.[/QUOTE]

It will not worry us as we have always carried and paid in cash, having spent so many years in Greece.

Also we get a good exhange rate to transfer money to our Zloty and Euro account here, so paying in cash avoids uncertain card exchange rates and any charges for their use.

We are never away for more than 5 weeks at a time, but were it 3-4 months we might change our modus operandi.

Geoff

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
Just stayed at Camping la Briquerie, an Acsi site in honfleur, no cards accepted at bar/ restaurant and for pitch fees, only stayed one night as in transit, but thought it strange, never found it before.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
On the “Mosel informal “ last September we struggled because nowhere accepted cards. In the end we found a bank and changed sterling

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
We have 3 restaurants in our village and the best two don't take cards. Cash or French cheque only. That's partly because we are in the bottom of a valley and until recently there was no signal unless you walked up the hill to the church!
We have a signal now but it's the percent charged that's the killer. Nearest ATM is 4 or 5 miles away too.
Good signs in the windows to warn people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back